Ex-Squadron Commander - stay? or leave?

Started by MacGruff, July 30, 2014, 07:11:18 PM

MacGruff

Recently, we had a change of command ceremony and the flag was passed from person A to person B.

The opinions I am soliciting are what should A be doing next? Should they remain in the squadron as a mentor to B? Or, should they go do other things.

Some of the members of the squadron are of the opinion that B will never be able to establish themselves as the commander if A is always around as all current member are so used to going to them. Some think that having A there to give guidance to B and step in as necessary is a good thing.

Surely this has happened many times before in CAP and so I would like to find out your thoughts on which has worked better, or if there are additional options.

More information - A was given a group-level position and is still coming to the squadron on meeting nights and stays all through the meeting, but does not have a formal squadron function at this time.

:-\

Eclipse

A should be doing his new job and letting B establish his precense.

A's time would better spent going to other units or working with wing in his new capacity.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

In general it would probably be best if A uses their experience in a higher level of CAP.  However, it wouldn't hurt anything if they stayed at the squadron.

This is one of the key differences I see between CG Aux and CAP -- In CG Aux you ALWAYS stay in your flotilla even if you take on additional duties at a higher level.  So, when I was the Aux flotilla commander I had probably at least 6 former flotilla commanders that were actually still active in the unit. Not once did any of them horn in where they shouldn't have, and they were invaluable to have around.

My opinion is that very few former CAP squadron commanders stick around after they leave the position either because they have moved up or they leave the organization -- either because they were forced out by the GOBs or had been kept in the squadron commander position so long that they just need to get away.  Hopefully, as squadron commander term limits take effect the latter becomes less of an issue. 

NC Hokie

My opinion is that A would be welcome to stick around as long as he/she practices the following statement: "Thanks for asking my opinion, but you really need to discuss this with the squadron commander."
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

The unforeseen consequence s that in today's CAP reality, that Unit CC is probably also holding 3 other important jobs,
and possibly doing one of them 100% (or more).

It takes a special person to stay on as an ESO or CPO and doing things "differently" once you've been the CC.

In a perfect world we're all on the same team, and there is transition planning - I benefited from that multiple times,
but I always made it a point to stay away once the keys were turned over to give the new guys his chance.

In my first command i had the circumstance where my predecessor did not step back right away, which essentially
resulted in two camps and more inertia then necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

My 10 cents, based on my experience from the regular military and civilian employment.....

Person A should stay away for at least 3 months, politely defer all telephone calls and emails to the new CC and politely decline any invitations to social events that might give the staff the opportunity to complain about the new guy....Take some time to enjoy the load coming off and to get fully engaged in the new position.

After about 3 months, if A really is missing the 'squadron life' then by all means ask the new CC if they can attend a meeting or two each month.  Better still, find another squadron to be part of if they can.

A should do B a real favor and make sure B knows how to get hold of them in that 3 months.....you know, for the odd thing that turns up that got missed in the turnover!  After 3 months, A is on their own!

Truly, though, the best thing is to go away and stay away.  That said, we have a former CC on staff but he didn't come back until nearly 3 years after his tenure and two wing staff jobs.  He also contacted the current CC quietly first.  When he's with us, he adds value and nobody on the staff now actually recalls him as the CC.

Al Sayre

My 2 cents.  A lot depends on B.  When I handed over, the new CC was rather weak, and after a couple months of hand holding, I had to take myself out of the picture completely to make him do the job.  He resigned after about 1 year in office due to a move, and the new guy took over.  Much different personality.  I was frequently around (Squadron shares HQ with Wing) and able to (privately) help point him in the right direction, but he acted as a commander, and there were no issues with me being nearby.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

^ A good point. 

A should definitely make himself available for transition issues and mentoring in the background, unless or until B says
something to the effect of "I got this." This is one reason why transition planning and training is so important.

If the CDs are actually doing their jobs, and being effective, they really should be the heir apparent, and the transition
shouldn't be all that jarring.  If there aren't any, or they are in name only, things will be much harder.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I stayed away from CAP for about three months after I stepped down as Squadron CC. Gave the new guy some space. Also, I needed a break from CAP.

When I stepped down as Group CC, I moved 350 miles away. ;D Gave the new guy plenty of space that time, probably more than he wanted (same guy who replaced me as Sq CC, actually).

I am of the opinion that former commanders should stay in the background, at least initially. Don't want people thinking there are two bosses. After the new command team has established itself, it's usually not a problem that a former commander happens to be around from time to time.

Private Investigator

It depends on the Unit's culture. One SQ I know has six or seven former Commanders on their Staff. They know they are a "team". You do your tour as CC and then your back being the Supply Guy or the Comm Gal.

Another SQ has a kingdom mentiality. Now with term limits they 'hope' the overbearing former commander takes a Group or Wing job like his predcessor did.  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

We had a change of command in 2012.  Our former CC is still in the unit, very active in his new "billet," and does not interfere, interpose or otherwise make his presence known in command matters.

A broadly similar situation is when a former pastor of mine described when he would retire.  I asked him if he would do as other pastors often do and stay on as "pastor emeritus."  He flatly said "No, because then I would feel that I am getting in the way of the new pastor and his ministry."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Treadhead

I can see good and bad in both paths,  It depends greatly upon the culture of the squadron.

In my old squadron, back in the early '80's, there were no term limits.  A CC remained CC until either he/she could no longer serve in that capacity or was forcibly removed from the job due to inability to perform.

Our old CC was removed from the job by the Group commander -- this stemmed from a number of complaints.  Basically the old CC was an Alpha Hotel who was destroying unit morale.  Unfortunately he remained with the squadron and ruled the unit through his rather weak and unsteady replacement.  It did not end well.

I have also seen where the old CC remained and did other things.  Transition went smooth and all went well.  There are no easy answers as each squadron has it's own culture.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

ZigZag911

Former commanders should either  take a post at a higher HQ (if possible), or, if remaining in the local squadron is the only alternative, keep a very low profile for the first 3-6 months of a new command.

In my mind, this ought to include a 'sabbatical' from weekly meetings for 2-3 months...just participating in training, missions, special events -- and then in a very low key way.

Storm Chaser

I agree with Treadhead. It depends on the unit and the individuals involved.

lordmonar

Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 19, 2014, 07:15:57 PM
Former commanders should either  take a post at a higher HQ (if possible), or, if remaining in the local squadron is the only alternative, keep a very low profile for the first 3-6 months of a new command.

In my mind, this ought to include a 'sabbatical' from weekly meetings for 2-3 months...just participating in training, missions, special events -- and then in a very low key way.
Why?

The former commander should stay in his new lane.....but why "kick" him out of CAP for 2-3 months?

If CAP is going to push the term limits issue.....then they better be putting people in charge that can manage the "old commander" issues.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

This issue should be resolved before the Change of Command. What position would you be willing to serve in? Will you be moving to another unit or staying here? etc.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

This shouldn't be an issue at all.....

The successor should be known a few months in advance of the change and by the time the new commander comes in, he/she should have probably been at the helm of making most of the decisions already.   Interesting reading comments that the old commander waits for new commander to say "I got this"   That training and prep should have been done long before they every took over.  As the commander, I had no issue fading into being the guy who made sure the refrigerator stayed stocked.    Most CC's I know are more than happy to just sit back and be a face in the crowd for a while. 

Moving up to a higher command?  Ehhhhh.... this isnt the military.  No requirement for that and no interest on the part of most people.  Taking a 3-6 month break from meetings?  Did your people hate you?  Ive never seen CAP so engrossed with a particular commander that the old commander had  to disappear for a few months.  In my 20+ yr involvement with CAP its a pretty friendly change......  Well, except for the one I was part of where the Group Commander said "You and him (my sidekick) need to take over the Sq or the unit is probably going to be shut down."  >:D  In that case, it was really time for the old regime to take a permanent break.

ZigZag911

Quote from: lordmonar on September 19, 2014, 11:12:40 PM

Why?

The former commander should stay in his new lane.....but why "kick" him out of CAP for 2-3 months?

If CAP is going to push the term limits issue.....then they better be putting people in charge that can manage the "old commander" issues.

To give the new CC the opportunity to fully establish her/himself in command.

I'm not kicking anyone out of CAP...just suggesting they steer clear of the home unit for awhile...might be a chance to help another squadron in the vicinity on an ADY basis, since we all have CAP specialties earned and learned prior to command service.

lordmonar

Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 20, 2014, 06:52:12 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 19, 2014, 11:12:40 PM

Why?

To give the new CC the opportunity to fully establish her/himself in command.

I'm not kicking anyone out of CAP...just suggesting they steer clear of the home unit for awhile...might be a chance to help another squadron in the vicinity on an ADY basis, since we all have CAP specialties earned and learned prior to command service.
I know why are suggesting they take a break......I disagree that it should be policy or suggested as "a good idea".

If the old commander can't squash the temptation to back seat command or undermine the new commander's authority.....then the new commander should deal with it. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

As is true more often than not, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!