Multiple Use Radio Service

Started by trekkindave, August 28, 2007, 04:07:28 PM

trekkindave

I am aware of what the regulations say about using non-licensed radios for mission support...  but is there anyone out there that is currently using MURS radios for cap training such as comms, bivouacs, field training, or other ground team activities??? 

I am interested to find out how other squadrons are communicating during these events without using member bought/ corporate radios? 

IceNine

this has been discussed a thousand times right here on this board.  Go look for it.

We CANNOT use anything but CAP/ISR/FRS (non-Mission only)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

trekkindave

Thanks for the "helpful" answer...

if you would have read, i said i KNEW the information that you so greatly provided...

often time things are done differently then how they are authorized.    Since this is a non-official site, i figured that some one else out there would be able to provide me with something useful, rather then spitting out information that is easy to obtain by reading regs.   

And searching for MURS yields two post topics.. not very helpful.

JC004

There is no real advantage to using MURS in CAP

floridacyclist

Even if I was doing something like that, I wouldn't talk about it here. I already know for a fact that my supervisor reads this board and I doubt the 5th amendment would do me any good.

That said, I wonder how we would coordinate with a group that uses MURS for comm? I know several SAR and CERT teams do.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

wacapgh

Put one of our operators with a radio at the same table with one of their operators with one of their radios?

Should keep FCC/NITA happy, as no CAP person is transmitting on Business/Amateur frequencies.

With a couple of good operators that work together, it wouldn't add that much of a delay.

floridacyclist

That's the answer we get when talking about coordinating with Red Cross. It might work for exercises, but it still doesn't seem very efficient when a real storm hits and you need all of your people doing real work, not playing telephone.

As far as I know we are allowed to use other agencies' frequencies with proper permission in order to enhance interoperability; for that matter, we often get handed other agencies' radios to use for the same purpose. I don't see why a difference in frequency should change that concept.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

IceNine

Being handed a radio with proper authority in an emergency situation... is COMPLETELY different than the intent of this thread. 

Using someone else frequencies and radios in day to day admin traffic is in no way approved, condoned, or acceptable even "under the table"

Plain and simple answer don't make it harder for us to get approval to use other frequencies when we need to by using them inappropriately now
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

floridacyclist

I already checked with this up to the DC...being handed another agency's radio to use to communicate with them during a joint exercise or emergency or performing communications functions for them using their assigned equipment is totally legit. Programming their frequency into our own radios without proper clearance isn't.

The only time this is a problem is when they are using a service that we are specifically forbidden to use..like how Red Cross primarily uses ham radio.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

trekkindave

Right. legal or not.. anyone use MURS?

isuhawkeye

Just yesterday I was handed a "non approved" hand held radio by an experienced Search manager form another SAR entity.   This SAR coordinator told me "If you need me give me a shout".

So, how do I respond. 

I cant give him a CAP radio to talk on, and I dont have staff to have a radio operator follow him around. 

What do you sugest. 

trekkindave

I would say... use it because the mission comes first.    It doesnt make sense to be on our own frequency that we can't use to contact other people that are doing the same job.. i thought communications were key.   We run into this problem at work now.  We get called for a mutual aid to a neighboring ambulance district and cant communicate with them because no one uses the low band frequency anymore in favor of thier own private vhf channels..

I would think that if CAP was allowed to use FRS frequencies because they were license free for training,  then using the same logic (maybe thats my problem, i'm using logic) we should be allowed to use MURS frequencies since they are license free.   They allow higher power, and better radios. 

I would still not allow them for use as official communications for missions, but for training i think MURS would be helpful.   

Just my opinion.

floridacyclist

Although the concepts were never broken down and explained to me (and aren't specifically addressed in the regs that I know of) I think that the reasoning goes that when operating another agency's licensed equipment to conduct their business, you are operating under their rules, regulations, and license and if they want to let you on it is up to them to make sure you are within the rules. You can't do that with ham or MURS because nobody "owns" those  frequencies.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

trekkindave

But FRS use is allowed under the current regs for training.. so long as real missions are conducted on offical channels.   Im not saying we should be running large scale events or search missions on MURS, but i think it should be looked into to provide a reasonable training solution for folks.   They gave us those god awful ISR radios which are nothing but crap when used in the woods. But whatever.... ill just follow orders i guess

isuhawkeye

I think I drove this discussion off topic.  I will repost my coment on a new thread. 

floridacyclist

You probably saw this on the other thread, but we can only use MURS for liaison with other agencies. The Comm FAQ does say that you can use FRS for most of the the uses described above.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org