Main Menu

Alert Rosters

Started by Stonewall, August 19, 2007, 07:38:59 AM

Stonewall

My previous wing required a specific form for reporting your squadron's alert roster.  I thought it was a decent form and made known to wing what your specific capabilities were.  I've attached one below that I found in my electronic pile of CAP crap.

On the bottom is says "CAP Test Form".  Did this form ever come to be any type of standard?  Is there a standard Alert form these days?

I edited cadets' last names and all numbers, but I wanted to leave it filled out as a sample of how the form is used.
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

You mind if I steal and bastardize the hell out of that?  ;D

Actually, I really like the concept. I'd like to make a few changes, but seriously, you mind if I use it?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Stonewall

As I say everytime I attach a file for people to see/use, feel free to use the heck out of it.  I don't even ask that I get credit for it.  I'm here for you, buddy.   8)
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

Shibby.

I'll send you my revised version, if you'd like.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

If your members keep their information up to date in eservices, you've got all the contact information, and qualification information that you need. 

The form you posted seems to be an early version of the Homeland Security alert roster that I know was being used in 2001-2 at least.  Not sure if it still is.

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on August 19, 2007, 04:54:01 PM
If your members keep their information up to date in eservices, you've got all the contact information, and qualification information that you need. 

Keeping personal information up to date can be a tall order for some. 

I'm sure there are lots of versions of alert rosters out there that work well.  I liked the system we had for a while because not only did wing get an updated version of this form on a monthly or quarterly basis (I forgot which), they were distributed to each squadron for GTLs to have in the event that you had to link up with another team for whatever reason.
Serving since 1987.

IceNine

Also, how many people except those highspeeders with cell cards have internet access all the time.  I like the Idea of throwing this in the mission binder and throwing it in the truck
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

I didn't say you had to only access it from the internet.  Just pointing out that the info is already available.  One of my pet peeves is Wing asking squadron commanders for information that Wing already available to them but don't bother to use. 

Stonewall

I hear ya, R.A.  Nothing like doing work that doesn't have to be done.  I think the problem is that not all CAPers, especially the old schoolers, are too computer savvy.  I know I'm not, but I'm learning more and more every day.

Serving since 1987.

ELTHunter

The other problem is, a lot of our ground team capability is with cadets.  Even though they are computer savvy, they don't take the time to update their personal information and such.  Sometimes you can barely get them to input and update their SQTR's.  The other problem is, NHQ changes the looks and link/report names on a regular basis.  It's seems to be a game to see if we can figure out what report is called what from one month to the next.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big believer in the MIMS, or Ops Quals or whatever it's called lately.  It's light years from the way we were even a couple of years ago.  It's just not the most user friendly database around.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

There is a pretty good incentive to keep that stuff up to date -- do it or don't go on missions.   Squadron commanders have the same option -- if they ensure their members info is up to date, they can tell Wing where to stick it when they ask for the info. 

ELTHunter

Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2007, 01:28:18 AM
There is a pretty good incentive to keep that stuff up to date -- do it or don't go on missions.

All fine and dandy until you need a bunch of folks but no one has bothered to keep their information updated.

Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2007, 01:28:18 AM
Squadron commanders have the same option -- if they ensure their members info is up to date, they can tell Wing where to stick it when they ask for the info. 

As a Group ES Officer, I'd much rather use the reports available in Ops Quals if I was assured they were current.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

I'm all for making things as easy as possible on CAP members, but at some point they have to assume a little bit of individual responsibility.  Most CAP members have internet access and the capability to do this.  Those that do not, can certainly work with their leadership to get the right info in. 

If I move and don't tell my employer, I don't get my paychecks.  Its not the employers fault. 

floridacyclist

The Commander and I were talking about this last night..we both agreed that where we work, we are responsible for checking our email. If something is emailed to us, it is assumed that we got it. We agreed that teaching our cadets this is not a bad thing.

On the Eservices thing, we've told everyone that supervisors are responsible for their people's contact data and have been dragging cadets into the Personnel office one at a time to update contacts with all that stuff....home phone, cadet parent phone, dog's phone. primary email, secondary email etc etc

We are also working on a backup paging system using a freelists.org mailing list and all of the digital device email addresses we can get our hands on. When an authorized person sends an email to our alert email address, everyone with a cellphone or pager that can receive emailed pages as text messages gets the message; if it's a true emergency, we would CC it to the everyone@ oursquadron list too. None of this would replace the old-fashioned telephone tree, but would give some folks a bit of a head start on getting ready.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Tubacap

How do you find freelists.org to work?  Is it easy to set up?  Can users sign up their emails themselves?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

floridacyclist

I'm not sure if users can sign up, I started using it specifically so that I could sign folks up; the first thing I did was copy/paste everyone's email from the Capwatch database into an everyone email list that we use for general announcements. This is something that we could never do with Yahoo as folks had to voluntarily create a Yahoo account and sign up. We also have an alert list that I'm working on for just emergency-typ alerts...like I said, not as a replacement for a phone tree, but as an augmentation of one.

It's not really that hard, just not as pretty as Yahoo groups.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

IceNine

I know what everyone is going to say 25 cents a pop...BUT

I personally have set up a group in my email called REDCAP, as well as one in my phone.  both lists are set with everyone that is qualified for mission in my group.  We have a response map for which units will go where, and which are on standby.  I just hit that group button type out my message and texts go out to the entire group, giving an area usually by closest airport, and the number to call.

It is quite simple to use.  If you are emailing them it is something like (cell number)@nextel.messaging.com
or some variation.  This works great for us, and relieves my calling each person.  Plus if the members are fidgety about getting these messages they are reimbursable as a communications expense I simply put the total (usually around 8 dollars) on my 108 and toss everyone a quarter when I see them
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JC004

Quote from: mfd1506 on August 20, 2007, 02:33:33 PM
I know what everyone is going to say 25 cents a pop...BUT

I personally have set up a group in my email called REDCAP, as well as one in my phone.  both lists are set with everyone that is qualified for mission in my group.  We have a response map for which units will go where, and which are on standby.  I just hit that group button type out my message and texts go out to the entire group, giving an area usually by closest airport, and the number to call.

It is quite simple to use.  If you are emailing them it is something like (cell number)@nextel.messaging.com
or some variation.  This works great for us, and relieves my calling each person.  Plus if the members are fidgety about getting these messages they are reimbursable as a communications expense I simply put the total (usually around 8 dollars) on my 108 and toss everyone a quarter when I see them

25 cents?  Even Sprint is cheaper than that.  PAWG is implementing this and it works.  Now I know exactly what it is when I get a text message at 1am.   :) 

Here's a list of the addresses used by various providers:
http://www.notepage.net/smtp.htm

Duke Dillio

I really hate to bring this up because it is rather horrible but it is what i have to work with.  CAWG pretty much requires everything to be on the WMU.  Now I know most here think WMU is really really bad and I tend to agree, but there is a setup where you can print your page.  We get our cadets and seniors to upgrade the information monthly as we have internet access at our squadron building.  While I still say no to WMU, I use it because I have to.