Trainee suprevison question

Started by RogueLeader, November 02, 2013, 04:33:09 AM

RogueLeader

I was just re-reading CAPR 60-3 and section 1-10 d reads:
d. Only qualified CAP members, qualified members of other agencies with which CAP has an approved memorandum of understanding, and CAP mission trainees under the supervision of a qualified person may participate in CAP operational missions. There will be at a minimum a 1-to-3 ratio of supervisors to trainees when trainees are utilized.
Emphasis mine.

Shouldn't that read as maximum, and not minimum?  Span of control should be even more narrow when you are either evaluation them or using them on an actual mission to ensure safety.  Otherwise find those couple extra trainees can make it hard to deploy if you only have one trainee.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

No, because the big number is on the right. You can have more sup's, but not fewer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

D'oh. I totally read that backwards and that you had to have at least three trainees. I'm going to bed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MacGruff

Funny.

I read that as one supervisor to three trainees...     :-\

RogueLeader

Quote from: MacGruff on November 02, 2013, 11:44:27 PM
Funny.

I agree. I was tired and misread it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PHall

Quote from: MacGruff on November 02, 2013, 11:44:27 PM
Funny.

Though some trainees may require three supervisors. >:D

RiverAux

I would have written it, "No more than three trainees may be assigned to a supervisor when trainees are utilized"

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 03, 2013, 01:01:32 AM
Though some trainees may require three supervisors. >:D

Seriously.

It's pretty amazing how many supposedly experienced members have no knowledge of that requirement.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Remember, this is on operational missions, not training.

Often a good supervisor can handle more people in a properly structured training environment, but when you're doing it for real, you don't have as much time to stop and explain stuff as it's happening, hence the cap.

Remember, a MS* or GTM* CAN be deployed on an "ACTUAL" (A1) mission, and this regulation simply specifies that they must be properly supervised and sets some limits on use of trainees.

Private Investigator

So with a MS* would I need three supervisors? I might have a weight and balance issue then   :-\

Garibaldi

Always four there are. A master, and and apprentice, and an apprentice, and an apprentice.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

RogueLeader

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 05, 2013, 04:28:23 AM
So with a MS* would I need three supervisors? I might have a weight and balance issue then   :-\

No, you just need a bigger plane.   :P
WYWG DP

GRW 3340