What size suitcase do you need for encampment?

Started by T8nker, December 10, 2016, 01:08:19 AM

T8nker

So, I'm going to the Florida Wing Winter Encampment, and I was wondering what size suitcase to get. It sounds like an awful lot of gear to bring, so I was just curious.

Eclipse

Whatever size fits the gear indicated and nothing more, and unless they specify, there is no minimum / maximum
or prescribed type - duffel bag, gym bag, wheeled bag, whatever.

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

It really depends on what you're bringing. For my last two encampments, I brought a duffel bag and big storage container that I could store underneath my cot.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Panzerbjorn

Make sure the dimensions fit what the airlines will carry without charging you oversize luggage fees, and make sure the weight is less than 50 lbs.  of course, if you're riding via CAP van or POV, it doesn't matter so much.

Something like this is all you'd ever need for a week-long event:

http://tacticalgear.com/mercury-luggage-deployment-container-bag-coyote?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqdLDBRDD-b2sv6-i6MsBEiQAkT3wAsGr35BzidzIXQsQ_Q0bJyu-7S4Mo3q4-QiFxAFWQMgaAt2l8P8HAQ#/19489/654/1?dl=b
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

AirAux

kwe1009

Quote from: AirAux on January 10, 2017, 08:52:30 PM
IT'S CALLED A DUFFLE BAG....

Sorry but that has only worked for about 100 years or so.  :)

LATORRECA

Still works

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Eclipse

I usually pack for encampment and camping with a parachute bag.

One like the above which is smaller (think large sports bag) then one like the below which is equivalent to the
BMT-style issue duffel you see everywhere and has a shiny texture and
might be a little watery-resistant-kinda (probably not).

Toss it all in and mix about - it seems like no matter how much you put in them you can always cram
a little more, and you can park a truck on them rigged-wise (your bottle of Hai Karate will be broken, but
the bag won't rip or come open).

The advantage to these is you don't get stuff trapped on the "bottom" like a duffel, downside is you can't wear them
like a backpack.

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Parachute bags are great piece of equipment. Suggestion to the cadet, just get whatever you can fit your stuff in it.
Duffle bag, deployment bag, parachute bag and any piece of luggage they all work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arajca

Remember, YOU will have to carry/move it. Consider something with wheels or a collapsible luggage cart.

tribalelder

No bigger than you need for the encampment checklist.  Unlike some venues, you don't have to go through the gift shop at every attraction. You'll acquire experiences/memories-but they pack small.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Yochanan