Main Menu

Callsigns

Started by Walkman, May 14, 2010, 03:59:56 AM

BGNightfall

The cadets in my unit usually refer to me as "Navy", since I've been known to show up at meetings in that uniform (before changing into my proper CAP uniform to participate in Squadron activities).  At work I'm usually known as "Khan" since it  sounds like the phonetic of the beginning of my last name.  WIWAC my nick was "Styrofoam", "Foam", or "Styro".  Spawned from an incident involving a bit of litter at a meeting site, and grew from that into this huge legend about me eating styrofoam.  At some point later I became the "Goat" because of that.

SarDragon

Remember, call signs are picked for you, not by you.

They are a form of nickname, assigned by your peers, usually to immortalize some indiscretion on your part, or point out some aspect of your appearance or behaviour. I usta know an F-14 pilot named Bronto, who wasn't your showpiece buff Nasal Radiator, and had a slow methodical gait when he walked.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

My "callsign" at work is "Chewy".  I have it on the back of my helmet.  Long story.  We have people who have been in the unit a few years who still dont have one.  We have a guy who got his on his first day.  It just happens and youll feel it when it does ;D

tdepp

Quote from: SarDragon on May 14, 2010, 09:06:12 PM
Remember, call signs are picked for you, not by you.

They are a form of nickname, assigned by your peers, usually to immortalize some indiscretion on your part, or point out some aspect of your appearance or behaviour. I usta know an F-14 pilot named Bronto, who wasn't your showpiece buff Nasal Radiator, and had a slow methodical gait when he walked.
Great.  So, here on CT, "Senator" Epp* it is!  Awesome!  I now yield the floor to the esteemed CAP Senator from the Great State of Confusion, Senator SarDragon!

*Yes, I have violated Senator SarDragon's Rules of Callsign Procedure.  But as the new CAP CT Senate Majority Leader, self-annointed, of course, there's a new sheriff and a new virtual non-existent rule book in town and we can name ourselves.    8)

How can I do this? I invoke the Cartman Amendment: "You will respect my authori-TAY!"  That and because I'm a lawyer.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

raivo

Quote from: tdepp on May 15, 2010, 01:03:40 AMGreat.  So, here on CT, "Senator" Epp* it is!  Awesome!  I now yield the floor to the esteemed CAP Senator from the Great State of Confusion, Senator SarDragon!

*Yes, I have violated Senator SarDragon's Rules of Callsign Procedure.  But as the new CAP CT Senate Majority Leader, self-annointed, of course, there's a new sheriff and a new virtual non-existent rule book in town and we can name ourselves.    8)

How can I do this? I invoke the Cartman Amendment: "You will respect my authori-TAY!"  That and because I'm a lawyer.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3911727

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

shorning

Quote from: tdepp on May 15, 2010, 01:03:40 AM

So..."weiner" then...so let it be written, so let it be said...

Pumbaa

Yeppp.. Had had mine for years.... You can imagine why it was given to me!

lordmonar

Quote from: shorning on May 15, 2010, 07:48:44 AM
Quote from: tdepp on May 15, 2010, 01:03:40 AM

So..."weiner" then...so let it be written, so let it be said...
RAMEN!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Smokey

Pilots are given callsigns  aka nicknames in the Air Force and Navy all the time. It is SOP.   They are not  radio call signs as one poster alluded to. 

As was stated, most often they are given to you and usually for something stoopid you did or a play on your name.  The current leader of the Thunderbirds callsign is  "Basket" a play on his first name CASE.  The Blue Angel narrator this year has a callsign of  "Brokeback".  He happened to be assigned to his previous squadron the day movie came out!  And if one protests one's call sign, the new name is guaranteed to be worse.

Any guesses on my callsign??!
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Smokey on May 15, 2010, 10:17:07 PM
  And if one protests one's call sign, the new name is guaranteed to be worse.

Agreed, although there is theory that adult beverages in mass quantity will also get your callsign changed.

coudano

My callsign at vfws is B.S.

'officially' it stands for bird strike...  as I seem to have had a rather inordinate amount of those in my life (in cars, motorcycles, bicycles, in the air, and believe it or not, even on foot --that one was an emu *in texas*, but as far as i'm concerned, it counts!)

However I have more than one voice recording of some poor person getting hosed in the sim and yelling across the mic "awww...  that's BS!!!"

yes, it was, thank you very much (victory roll)
bwahahahahahaha

Gunner C

Mine was "Time Fuse".  I had an explosive charge that didn't go off once.  I had to baby sit the darned thing while everyone else went to lunch.  :)