GPS's In New CAP Aircraft

Started by 1730614cfii, June 25, 2005, 07:13:10 PM

1730614cfii

Most CAP aircraft have an Apollo GX55 GPS.  This is model GPS has built in SAR functions that I believe may be lacking in the GPS's that CAP is installing in its new aircraft.  How do the new KLN94 GPS's (which I am not familiar with) compare to the older GX55?  Will they guide you through a parallel line, creeping line or expanding square search using the US Sectional grid system like a GX55 will?

Pylon

Hmm... I'm not sure if those new models lack the SAR screen.  Hopefully someone else here with more airframe experience could answer that.

However, I will say that I think it would be incredibly silly of CAP to install the GPS units that do not have the SAR functions.  They are incredibly useful.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

I think it would be great for the added safety value of O-rides. How much does one cost? Maybe I'll purchase one and donate it to CAP

CAP277

Revival.

Anyone have experience with the KLN 94 GPS ? Does it have the aforementioned SAR functions built into it ? Anyone got any good reference sheets for it ? This is the GPS in one of my groups a/c that I need to familiarize myself with.

Thanks!

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: VETTE277 on June 06, 2010, 11:16:33 AM
... Anyone got any good reference sheets for it ?  ...

Bendix-King pilot guide at https://www.bendixking.com/servlet/com.honeywell.aes.utility.PDFDownLoadServlet?FileName=/TechPubs/repository/006-18207-0000_2.pdf

Only two references to search - neither applicable to our usage.

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Al Sayre

Quote from: VETTE277 on June 06, 2010, 11:16:33 AM
Revival.

Anyone have experience with the KLN 94 GPS ? Does it have the aforementioned SAR functions built into it ? Anyone got any good reference sheets for it ? This is the GPS in one of my groups a/c that I need to familiarize myself with.

Thanks!

I fly a CAP aircraft  with the KLN 94.  It does not have any SAR functions but (if kept updated) is an IFR approved GPS and (in our aircraft is coupled with a great auto pilot).  It's pretty straight forward for VFR stuff.  There should be a user's quick reference guide and a full blown users manual in the aircraft.  If not, P.M. me and I'll see if I can find a .pdf of it for you.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SJFedor

No SAR functions, but there are ways to use the GPS anyway. Fly your grid searches using the current position lat/long data, and plan out your search a little differently. Expanding square can be done the same way, but requires a bit of practice. Creeping line is a little more tricky but can be done using the leg function from airport to airport or user waypoint to user waypoint.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)