Civil Air Patrol Association

Started by Pylon, January 30, 2006, 03:30:14 PM

Pylon

This topic of conversation came up in another thead on CAP budget cuts.  The idea being tossed around is:  Should there be a national association for Civil Air Patrol to look out for the interests of CAP and its members?  (i/e: increased funding, public awareness, better support, etc.)

Pros I've seen presented so far include the idea of having lobbyists and others who continually promote CAP in the eyes and ears of the public, politicians, and military and government officials.  Having such an association may also help increase awareness of CAP and its missions amongst those in power and the general public.

Some Cons I've seen mentioned include: why have a 501(c)(3) with dues-paying members to promote a 501(c)(3) with dues-paying members, with likely mostly overlapping membership.

Discuss!  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

There is something in the Dec 05 BoG Minutes about forming a foundation or something... But that's different right?
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on January 30, 2006, 03:36:37 PM
There is something in the Dec 05 BoG Minutes about forming a foundation or something... But that's different right?

Yep, a Foundation is a 501(c)(3) corporation that primarily raises money to support the missions of something.  For example, I work for Arc of Onondaga (a non-profit that works with the developmentally disabled).  We also have the Arc of Onondaga Foundation.  The Foundation simply holds annual fundraising events, handles planned giving, and collects donations for Arc of Onondaga.  The Foundation builds a large reserve of cash to invest, with the eventual idea of just the income earned off the investments being enough to support the cause.

An Association would be more of an interest group.  It would consist of members who have an interest in seeing CAP become better supported, or more prevalent, or used as a resource more, etc.  An association often lobbies local, state, and federal government officials to support causes and funding for CAP.  Associations also may help raise public awareness of the organization they support.  Some associations are also a fraternal group for those who have retired or left the "parent" organization (as often is the case with the various military branch associations).

Definitely different ideas.  :)

smj58501

I concur that a 501c3 assn set up to support another one is unusual, but we have this unique tie to the USAF by being their official auxilliary. My concern is sometimes that can inhibit us from being able to stand up for ourselves and defend our interests like we should be able to. I am glad to see a forum started on this topic. I think it is something that needs to be discussed...

My concern is we need some type of organized method to provide a unified voice for CAP..... something the USAF, congress, state, and local officials will stand up and take notice of when approached by them. Maybe a seperate assn isn't the answer, but we definitely need a true lobbying arm that can voice the concerns of the membership.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

JAFO78

OK Guys are we going to do this or are we just a bunch of arm chair HQ want a B's.
JAFO

smj58501

I think it is a good idea and worth the effort. My concern is only a handful of people have rung in on the topic, so I am not sure:

1) how much commitment we have at this point to a CAP Assn?
2) do we want an actual Assn, or do we just want to better organize and resource our lobbying efforts?
3) if 2), how do we go about doing this?
4) Who is going to take the lead on this? Something this big almost needs a retired CAP member who has both the time on his/ her hands and the experience under his/ her belt
5) other ideas??

Bottom line is I don't see too many speaking up on this idea, so we don't know where we stand on it. Maybe we would have an overwealming level of support, but then again maybe the majority of our members don't feel the effort of starting a CAPA is worth the potential lobbying benefits. The only way we are going to know which direction to go is if more people ring in.

(PS- if you are reading this, here is your invite to speak up)
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

fyrfitrmedic

I support this idea and feel that such an entity would be useful.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

arajca

Reading the minutes from the Dec BoG meeting, the CAPA is going forward. The BoG will also be the board of the CAPA. It is estimated that the CAPA will cost $5-6K annually initally to get running and until donations/grants/other moneys come in. The constitution of the the CAPA is included as an attachment to the minutes.

smj58501

Quote from: arajca on February 05, 2006, 03:09:51 PM
Reading the minutes from the Dec BoG meeting, the CAPA is going forward. The BoG will also be the board of the CAPA. It is estimated that the CAPA will cost $5-6K annually initally to get running and until donations/grants/other moneys come in. The constitution of the the CAPA is included as an attachment to the minutes.

Please clarify.... is the CAPA you mention the foundation detailed in the quote below from Pylon:

Quote from: Pylon on January 30, 2006, 03:42:44 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 30, 2006, 03:36:37 PM

Yep, a Foundation is a 501(c)(3) corporation that primarily raises money to support the missions of something.  For example, I work for Arc of Onondaga (a non-profit that works with the developmentally disabled).  We also have the Arc of Onondaga Foundation.  The Foundation simply holds annual fundraising events, handles planned giving, and collects donations for Arc of Onondaga.  The Foundation builds a large reserve of cash to invest, with the eventual idea of just the income earned off the investments being enough to support the cause.

Definitely different ideas.  :)

or has someone already been working the association idea as also detailed below by Pylon:

"An Association would be more of an interest group.  It would consist of members who have an interest in seeing CAP become better supported, or more prevalent, or used as a resource more, etc.  An association often lobbies local, state, and federal government officials to support causes and funding for CAP.  Associations also may help raise public awareness of the organization they support.  Some associations are also a fraternal group for those who have retired or left the "parent" organization (as often is the case with the various military branch associations)."

Please clarify what type of CAPA is going to the BoG.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Pylon

The CAP BoG is establishing a CAP Foundation.  This is totally different from what was proposed in the other discussion thread (a CAP Association).  A Foundation is a fundraising and monetary support organization.  The Foundation's job would be to support the Civil Air Patrol's units and missions monetarily, when and where needed.

An Association is an interest group, whose primary purpose is to help promote Civil Air Patrol with the government, legislators, other agencies, and raise general public awareness.  The Association would lobby for funding increases in state and federal legislatures, raise awareness of CAP's capabilities and missions, promote our programs, perhaps help with national ad campaigns, etc.

So... to continue the discussion--  is a group like this valuable, and if so, how should it be organized and structured? 

Earhart1971

Lobbying for money in Congress is a WASTE of TIME.

I have been to Washington and I have been Politically active, CAP is going to get cut (budget wise) every year, Maxwell AFB likes JROTC better than CAP, and JROTC they feel can accomplish the same thing that they want CAP for, funneling people to an Air Force Career.

The Association should focus on private fund raising, folks.  The Boys Scouts learned this years ago.

There are people that will give CAP all the money needed, IF YOU ASK FOR IT!

The Cadet Program sells, and the money is needed at the Squadron Level, not at Wing, Region, or National.

If National gets more money its not likely to filter down to the Squadron.

The Canadians will not let a Air Cadet Squadron form unless they have at least 20K in annual funding commitments.

CAP needs to do this, I would recommend the National Association help raise the funds and send it directly down to deserving Squadrons and also create programs that help local squadrons raise funds.

And the Squadrons need to form a finance committee to raise their own funds.

Pylon

Quote from: Earhart1971 on February 07, 2006, 07:46:07 AM
Lobbying for money in Congress is a WASTE of TIME.

I have been to Washington and I have been Politically active, CAP is going to get cut (budget wise) every year, Maxwell AFB likes JROTC better than CAP, and JROTC they feel can accomplish the same thing that they want CAP for, funneling people to an Air Force Career.

The Association should focus on private fund raising, folks.  The Boys Scouts learned this years ago.

There are people that will give CAP all the money needed, IF YOU ASK FOR IT!

The Cadet Program sells, and the money is needed at the Squadron Level, not at Wing, Region, or National.

If National gets more money its not likely to filter down to the Squadron.

The Canadians will not let a Air Cadet Squadron form unless they have at least 20K in annual funding commitments.

CAP needs to do this, I would recommend the National Association help raise the funds and send it directly down to deserving Squadrons and also create programs that help local squadrons raise funds.

And the Squadrons need to form a finance committee to raise their own funds.

Okay, perhaps I'm still being a bit vague here.  Everyone seems to be completely missing the mark.  The CAP Board of Governors has already set into motion the establishment of the CAP Foundation, whose job it is to primarily raise money for CAP.

A Civil Air Patrol Association is more than simply a tool to lobby for more money in the U.S. legislature.  In fact, it's entirely much more than that.  The point of an Association is to lobby for and raise awareness of CAP on numerous levels, including state governments, other agencies and organizations, and with the general public.  There's a lot more to the world than Congress.

Several examples of things a CAP Association might do:

• Every state bordering New York gives a chunk of money annually to their respective Civil Air Patrol wing.  New York, the state with the second highest taxes in the nation, gives nothing to CAP.  The Association would help promote Civil Air Patrol to the state assembly, assist with the Wing with lobbying for funding, aid with development of marketing materials that "sell" CAP's function to the state, etc.
  • Help with a national public awareness campaign for Civil Air Patrol.  The aim would be to increase the knowledge of the average citizen on what CAP is, what CAP does, and how to find out more.  This may have added benefits of increased recruiting.  This could be achieved through working with AdCouncil and other national organizations to produce TV or radio spots, development of marketing materials about CAP, continual plugging of CAP in the media, etc.
  • Keep Civil Air Patrol on the minds of leaders at all level of government and in other organizations through various means, including newsletter mailings, frequent contacts, and other methods.
  • Truly utilize the members of the legislative squadrons to help promote the interests of Civil Air Patrol
  • Perhaps produce some good promotional videos about CAP.  A few have hit the web in the last year or so, but more could definitely be made.
  • Advocate for CAP in other manners that it might be deemed a conflict-of-interest or otherwise inappropriate for Civil Air Patrol to do so themselves.

Just because one method of lobbying might be perceived as difficult by a few doesn't mean that this idea has no legitimacy.  That's like saying "My opinion is that kids these days aren't really interested in O-Flights, so there's no good reason for Civil Air Patrol anymore."

Aside from that, fundraising should always be encouraged at every level, not just National CAP.  Though I don't agree with mandating units get committments for 20k a year, since most units can operate on a much smaller budget, I think that squadron fundraising can improve.  However, that's not really the focus of this concept.

Is anybody getting the point yet? 

smj58501

I get the point lima charlie. And lobbying congress or a state legislature or any other source of funds is not a waste of time. If you don't ask for the money, no one will give you any. PAC's are a lot better at asking for and getting money from elected officials because they represent an organized group of registered voters.... voters that may remember their generosity come reelection time. Politicians (whether we like it or not) respond to those who will keep them in power... and an organization of many voters with the same cause makes them take notice. One or two constituents calling their elected officials pales in comparison to an organization of lots of voters with the same concerns. An organization is also better at setting up a "contact your congressman" drive (when the time is right to do so) because its members are, well... already organized.

Bottom line.... the man with the plan usually wins, but execution is everything. If you are not organized, you can't plan, and you sure won't be able to execute.

As far as a suggested structure to a CAPA, I would recommend each state have a state-level association that can represent them to a state legislature, and organize state-level initiatives. It can be made up of an executive board (Chair, Vice Chair Elect, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, and Past Chair) elected by the CAPA members of that state, and a board of directors consisting of 1 representative per squadron and wing. These representatives are selected by the CAPA members from each sqdn/ wing. If it gets big enough, each state could also select an executive director responsible for day to day activities of the assn. CAPA State conferences could be conducted at the same time the "official" wing/ state conferences are held, with meeting times set up before/ after the conclusion of "official" activities.

A national organization would be similar in structure, with the exception of each state having a rep on the board of directors (elected at the state assn conference), as well as regional reps (selected at a national conference). The Executive Board could have a similar officer structure to the state associations (Chair, Vice Chair Elect, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, and Past Chair), with elections being conducted as part of a national conference.

A big part of these state and national conferences would be to decide upon legislative initiatives at the state and national level, and develop a plan for how these initiatives will be followed up upon with the various elected bodies.

In closing, associations work, or there would not be any. Look at the NRA, the AARP, NGAUS, American Legion, VFW, Trial Lawyers Association, etc to name a few. You may agree or disagree with what these associations stand for, but you cannot deny they are effective in getting their issues in front of the elected officials. Are they 100%... no, but alot more effective than the disjointed efforts of a few people calling their congressmen.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Major_Chuck

I feel the idea warrants a lot of merit and further study.  If you look at organizations such as the Air Force Association, Air Force Sergeants Association, Reserve Officers Association, etc you get the picture.  Associations work when they have a clear goal.  In our case further the interest of Civil Air Patrol.

The problem I have with CAP Foundation is that it is not a true association in the terms that you are defining it as.  Its purpose is to promote CAP and answers to the BoG.  A CAP Association would support CAP but should not answer to it.  Membership should not be confined to CAP Members, Patrons, etc but to all that would want to join and promote the mission of CAP.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

BillB

Great idea.  To bad it won't work. 
1st where are you getting the funds for the Association lobbyists? Travel to state capitols, expenses while talking to members of the legislature etc.
2nd 60,000 CAP members scattered over fifty states plus PR, doesn't have many potential votes to a member of a legislature.
3rd, What can you show that indicates CAP has a value to the particular state? We can't even define our own missions.
4th how do convience a Wing Commander that a CAP Association can exist using the name of Civil Air Patrol, and that the Association can do a better job that may be currently done in each state?
Lastly  Isn't the name Civil Air Patrol copyrighted/trademark or something?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

smj58501

Quote from: Major_Chuck on February 13, 2006, 10:43:12 PM
The problem I have with CAP Foundation is that it is not a true association in the terms that you are defining it as.  Its purpose is to promote CAP and answers to the BoG.  A CAP Association would support CAP but should not answer to it.  Membership should not be confined to CAP Members, Patrons, etc but to all that would want to join and promote the mission of CAP.

I agree wholeheartedly, but most importantly, I feel specifically we need to emphasize the association should not answer to the Air Force, the National Commander or any other "official" CAP commander on down the line. Of course coordination with these individuals would be a good idea to ensure the CAPA is aligned with the needs of the official CAP, but they need the ability to part from these individuals as required. The association answers to their dues-paying members (be they CAP members or any other supporters who want to join), with the greater interest of CAP the USAF Auxilliary in mind. The traditional CAP command chain can (and should) participate as members of the  CAP association, but as far as leadership within a CAPA... it may be wise to only allow them to be ex-officio non-voting members of the Board of Directors at both the state and national level. That would keep the lines clearer.

On another note.... the foundation sounds great, and I wish there was a way to combine their efforts with a CAPA-type association. Unfortunately, it appears the train has left the station and they will answer to the BoG.... an alignment that would be unacceptable for a CAPA to be able to accomplish their objectives
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Major_Chuck

Why just talk about it, how about just doing it?

Why not sew the grass roots for such an organization, CAPA, Civil Air Patrol Association and model it on such successful associations like AFA, AFSA, etc.

Why not use CAP Talk (with current owners permission) as the Official On-Line Forum of CAPA?

I'm game to be a Charter Founding Member of CAPA.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

smj58501

Quote from: Major_Chuck on February 14, 2006, 01:15:33 AM
Why just talk about it, how about just doing it?

Why not sew the grass roots for such an organization, CAPA, Civil Air Patrol Association and model it on such successful associations like AFA, AFSA, etc.

Why not use CAP Talk (with current owners permission) as the Official On-Line Forum of CAPA?

I'm game to be a Charter Founding Member of CAPA.

Therein, of course, lies the infamous rub. SOMEONE with time on their hands who is dedicated to the vision of a CAPA and has the energy to follow through on it needs to be found. They may need to be recruited, peer pressured, or blackmailed  ;)

Seriously, it will probably need to be a core group (that could end up comprising the first executive board) of people. This forum, as you so eloquently stated, is excellent as a place to communicate the message of a future CAPA. The first "test" could be using it to find that core group. Any nominations? Any volunteers??
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Major_Chuck

Start small and move forward.  The only problem I would foresee at this point is CAP sactioning use of the name "Civil Air Patrol" and its emblem. 

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Pylon

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 01, 2006, 02:41:19 AM
Start small and move forward.  The only problem I would foresee at this point is CAP sactioning use of the name "Civil Air Patrol" and its emblem. 

It all sounds good, sure.  But as all of you have begun to point out, there are hurdles to get over. These include:

• Use of the Civil Air Patrol name and logo likeness
  • Source of funding for startup, filing as corporation and 501(c)(3) status
  • Determining in which state to file for corporation
  • Volunteers?  Who's going to staff this and do a lot of the needed work (developing the business plan, serving as the initial corporate board of directors, auditing the finances and tax-exempt paperwork, etc, design the website, create the promotional materials, ad nauseum).
  • Who is going to negotiate with NHQ and CAP-USAF to ensure that there is a working relationship there all along

There are a lot of kinks to work out, and that requires people and time, above all.  This would lead me to suggest that perhaps first a group of interested individuals get together to begin working on the various details, start-up materials, mission statement, and marketing materials before incorporating.  This would allow everyone to ensure that there will be sufficient support for such an organization first, before making the leap towards becoming an official organization.

Thoughts?  Ideas?