Wing Historical Preservation Program

Started by Public Affairs Guy, December 13, 2014, 06:32:20 PM

Public Affairs Guy

Howdy,
I've just been appointed Assistant Wing Historian and my first task is to draft the Wing Historical Preservation Program for 2015. The only problem is that I haven't a clue how to do it. Our Wing doesn't have one and doesn't appear to ever had one so I have nothing to go on. Has anybody written one? Does your Wing have one I can see and use as a template?
Bruce Kipp, MAJ, CAP

MisterCD

Welcome aboard :) I recommend you first consult CAPR 210-3 and then send me a private message so I can put you in touch with several members of the CAP National History Program staff who can provide you guidance and advice as you move ahead drafting your program.

flyboy53

Remember that your duties are not just historical preservation but also documenting the activities of the wing annually in report form. I suggest that you consult the reg and then develop a form for the subordinate units to report their activities. Start capturing photos with background, chronological activities of various units and statistics.

You will find that your historical duties sometimes conflict with the guidance and regs that guide the organization. Wings and units sometimes have things buried in their files for historical purposes that end up getting thrown out during SUIs and compliance inspections; so to comply with that standard catalog what you have and make sure that it is in a secure location. Watch for things. I once rescued a folder containing a maintenance log and pilot's check list of a L-17 Navion that was the only documentation left that reflected the aircraft had ever been assigned to the wing.

Your duties will run hand in hand with public affairs, so keep an eye on prominent people in your wing that may be worthy of oral histories. Also, dig deep into your units and make sure that they have taken the necessary steps to formally establish their unit patches.

JC004

I'd like to suggest something.  I'm not certain if this is in the latest historian materials or not.

Now that so many newspapers are online, do searches for "Civil Air Patrol" (and "Air Patrol" for that matter - I've seen edited articles that don't even contain CAP's proper name) in your local library's databases and Google's News database.  Collect old articles for your unit from there.  These may not have all been collected by past members of your unit. 

Remember that many library databases are not on public search engines - so go straight to the library's databases through their website.  If your local papers aren't all online, you can talk to them about microfiche and such.

Hopefully that can get you some neat older materials.

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on December 14, 2014, 07:42:11 PM
Now that so many newspapers are online, do searches for "Civil Air Patrol" (and "Air Patrol" for that matter - I've seen edited articles that don't even contain CAP's proper name) in your local library's databases and Google's News database. 

Newspaperarchive.com is a good resource.  It requires a paid subscription, which is actually inexpensive.  However, many local libraries already have subscriptions.