what happens when you lock your knee's

Started by payton, February 04, 2009, 09:06:06 PM

C/MSgt Lunsford

Ok. Will do. Thanks. Just didn't know if there was a special way to stand at attention to prevent yourself from Fainting.  ;)

Wright Brothers #13915

DC

Quote from: Lunsford on June 14, 2009, 06:15:00 PM
Ok. Will do. Thanks. Just didn't know if there was a special way to stand at attention to prevent yourself from Fainting.  ;)
No, it's really the other way around. There is a special way to stand if you want to faint...

BrandonKea

I had a cadet on my Color Guard in AFJROTC lock her knees once before a performance, she wasn't too bright. We ended up going out presenting with just the American Flag.

At the NCR Encampment in '01 we had a cadet in my flight who locked his knees during the first half of the pass and review. We happened to catch him before he would have landed in the grass, and propped him up until we started marching. At that point, he was woozily walking with us as we all kept him semi propped up, and he came around just before the reviewing stand just in time to ask "what happened?" and we told him to "shut up and salute." That was fun.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

desertengineer1

About ten years ago that happened at our guard base.  To my understanding, the guy never fully recovered function of his jaw.  Almost the same exact kind of injury.  He spent weeks in the hospital.

He locked his knees and fell straight forward.  Compounding this is a tendancy of the body to "whip" - resulting in a dramatic forward acceleration of the head at impact.

I was a few rows back and will never forget the sound of it.  It was like someone slapped a boat oar hard on the hangar floor.

Locking your knees can cause blood to pool in the lower legs, in addition to preventing you from recovering loss of balance (the mechanics of that posture).  Whether you pass out or just fall asleep, you won't have time to recover.

The proper stance is knees bent slightly forward. 

SJFedor

In short, this is what happens when you lock your knees....

Questions?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)