Is a 3rd Class Medical required for gliders? Medication question

Started by xray328, September 13, 2015, 03:30:24 AM

xray328

Hey guys.  My daughter is anxiously awaiting her 13th birthday (November) so she can begin glider training. She suffered a concussion in January though and still get headaches late at night.  Her Doctor prescribed her Ampitrpyline,  it's supposed be work well in treating headaches from a concussion.  Problem is that the medication was originally used to treat depression which puts it on the FAA's "Not Approved" list.  It does cause drowsiness, but since she only takes it at night (9-10pm) that isn't much of an issue for her.  So...

Is she required to have a medical certificate to train or solo in gliders? (I don't think she does) Are there any CAP specific rules regarding something like this?

I'm hoping she's off the medication before it would be an issue, but just in case.

Thanks!

SarDragon

I'm sure you'll get answers on here, but you might be better off asking an AME directly. Also, the AME Guide is available on the FAA web site as a free download. That will give you most of the info you need.

A quick look provides the following (all emphasis mine):
Minimum age requirements for the various airman certificates (i.e., pilot license certificates) are defined in 14 CFR part 61, Certification: Pilots and Flight Instructors, and Ground Inspectors as follows:
(1) Airline transport pilot (ATP) certificate: 23 years
(2) Commercial pilot certificate: 18 years
(3) Private pilot certificate: powered aircraft - 17 years; gliders and balloons - 16 years
(4) Student pilot certificate: powered aircraft - 16 years; gliders and balloons - 14 years

Glider and Free Balloon Pilots are not required to hold a medical certificate of any class. To be issued Glider or Free Balloon Airman Certificates, applicants must certify that they do not know, or have reason to know, of any medical condition that would make them unable to operate a glider or free balloon in a safe manner. This certification is made at the local FAA FSDO.

This info was taken from the 2014 edition. Check the current (2015 or 2016) edition for the most up-to-date info.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Glider does not require a medical certificate.

As mentioned above, she won't be able to solo until 14, but (by FAA Regs), she can receive instruction anytime, but 13 seems a reasonable cutoff for that.

xray328

I'm hoping they'll take her as a student at 13. By the time it's warm enough to fly again it'll be 6-7 months before her 14th birthday.

I think she should be ok based on the information SAR Dragon provided. She doesn't have any condition that would make it unsafe for her to fly in a safe manner.

Live2Learn

The short answer is:  Glider pilots do not require an FAA Medical, but...  (See previous post by SarDragon...) "applicants must certify that they do not know, or have reason to know, of any medical condition that would make them unable to operate a glider or free balloon in a safe manner"...

The effects of concussion may not be an issue IF your daughter is flying with an instructor.  However, if she is still suffering from headaches, taking meds that might induce drowsiness or affect cognitive performance, or might mask an problem that could manifest during flight caution is a good idea.  I second the suggestion that she speak with an AME.  She doesn't need to start (or finish) the process for a medical of any FAA class.  But for her safety she (and you) might benefit from a good discussion of why some drugs and some injuries are grounds for medical denial.

PHall

Considering that she can't solo until she's 14, why not wait until her concussion symptoms have cleared and she doesn't need the meds before she starts to fly.
She can still be a wing runner and help with the launches and recoveries. But flying while on meds without seeing an AME is not a good idea.

Flying Pig

As stated above.... no medical is needed for gliders. Like PHall said.  If you know she has a condition, no need to push anything.  As we parents all know....kids think life is leaving them behind.  Im 40 and I still feel like Im missing out!  :)  But if she is on medication for a head injury there is no need to push it.  For a concussion, I would be wary of the rapid altitude changes? Im not a Dr.  I dont know.  But since she doesnt need a medical, a trip to the Dr to talk about any issues related to flying would be about all you need.

Al Sayre

According to the FAA medications database on the AOPA Website, amitriptyline is a prohibited medication, i.e. you cannot get an FAA medical certificate (or fly if you already have one) while taking it.  Talk to an AME before she starts her flight training.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

xray328

Live2Learn

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 14, 2015, 11:25:46 AM
According to the FAA medications database on the AOPA Website, amitriptyline is a prohibited medication, i.e. you cannot get an FAA medical certificate (or fly if you already have one) while taking it.  Talk to an AME before she starts her flight training.

"Better a disappointment than a funeral".  Reading the NTSB accident reports a lot of fatal mishaps have a root cause or potential contributing factor of undisclosed unapproved meds (some Rx, some OTC). 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Live2Learn on September 18, 2015, 07:37:21 PM

"Better a disappointment than a funeral".  Reading the NTSB accident reports a lot of fatal mishaps have a root cause or potential contributing factor of undisclosed unapproved meds (some Rx, some OTC).

I would argue that most pilots prescribed any medication likely don't tell their AME about it.

JeffDG

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 18, 2015, 08:12:37 PM

I would argue that most pilots prescribed any medication likely don't tell their AME about it.

I would disgree with that statement wholly and completely.

SarDragon

Quote from: JeffDG on September 18, 2015, 10:01:36 PM

I would disgree with that statement wholly and completely.

Same here. I've been a cardiac patient since'03, and when I went in for my Class 3, I put everything down. None of them were disqualifying (the aneurysm was), but I followed the directions completely, anyway. The AME and I discussed each one as to the whys and whens, and there were no unfavorable comments.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Live2Learn

I don't agree AT ALL.  I know of a few pilots who in the past may have lied on their medical, but definitely NOT "most".  FWIW, any pilot who lies on an FAA medical is committing a felony.  Now that the "Affordable Care Act" is in force the medication Rx drug db is among those that the FAA cross checks ...  Only a fool sticks his head in a noose by lying in the easily cross checked world we live in.

THRAWN

Where do.you come up with this stuff? Do you really have such a low opinion of FAA certificated airmen? Best advice, new guy: know when to sit down and color.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023