Glider schools in the Chicago area?

Started by xray328, July 18, 2015, 01:53:07 PM

xray328

I soloed in gliders at Johnson Flight Academy back in 92/3 and was ready to solo in the 172 (N62689) in 1994 but things turned to IFR conditions our last two days there. I've had no flight instruction since and I'm kicking myself for not following through with my powered solo flight. 

Are there any good glider schools in the Chicago area that will train you to solo?  I thought that might be a good/cheaper alternative to powered flight just to get back into the game. There's a big club by the house (Chicago Glider Club) but they require you to be a private pilot first.

I've heard the argument that it's probably not much more to solo in a LSA, which usually turns into it's not much more to solo in a 172.  Any truth there? What are the price differences from solo in a glider to LSA to a 172?

I don't think I'm going to get my license at this point, I just wanna get up in the air again.

Thanks!

MSG Mac

Check online with the Soaring Society of America.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

xray328

I found a school nearby, very helpful, they even have two CAP gliders on site. They said its $800 a year to join and the kids are $50 each as add ons. That gives us the use of all six gliders. Tow fees are $20/$30/$40 for 1,2, and 3,000 ft. Instructors are between $5/$10 a flight. I'll prob get us all started next summer, daughter turns 13 this November.

Based on those prices I'm not sure if the kids should just go with the school or still attend one of the CAP flight academies. I saw that they offer scholarships though.

Can the Col Mary Feik Scholarship be used for gliders? The page says its to help cadets attain a private pilots license. My sons 15 so that might be able to help him.