Service Time Requirements for Specialty Ratings

Started by Pylon, February 09, 2005, 07:29:27 AM

Pylon

If you look at the CAP Specialty Track requirements for all of the various Technician ratings, you'll notice that each has a service requirement where the Senior must serve in a related capacity for 6 months in addition to meeting the knowledge requirements.

The MLO specialty track does not require any service as an MLO to earn the technician rating.  Simply learning the knowledge requirements and getting the Wing Chaplain's signature is all that is necessary.

In addition, unlike all the others, Cadet Programs requires nine months (not six) to earn the Technician rating.

Do you think either of these were simply oversights or mistakes, or were they intentional?  If intentional, why do these two specialty tracks differ so much from all the others that they should deviate from the standard service requirements?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Greg

Quote from: Pylon on February 09, 2005, 07:29:27 AM
If you look at the CAP Specialty Track requirements for all of the various Technician ratings, you'll notice that each has a service requirement where the Senior must serve in a related capacity for 6 months in addition to meeting the knowledge requirements.

The MLO specialty track does not require any service as an MLO to earn the technician rating.  Simply learning the knowledge requirements and getting the Wing Chaplain's signature is all that is necessary.

In addition, unlike all the others, Cadet Programs requires nine months (not six) to earn the Technician rating.

Do you think either of these were simply oversights or mistakes, or were they intentional?  If intentional, why do these two specialty tracks differ so much from all the others that they should deviate from the standard service requirements?

Hmmmm...........I'd say ask omnicient knowledgebase, but I think they deal with more interpretation of the regs questions.  Also, this is off the top of my head, but for ES technician rating, isn't it 12 months?
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

CAPSGT

ES is indeed 12 months.  Personally, I don't think it really needs to be quite that long, but I do think it should be longer than 6 months.  I'd say 9 months (bring it in line with CP) would be good. 

If you think about it, while a former cadet turned newbie SM probably knows most of the stuff pretty well, it does take a while for an outsider to truly understand and learn about those particular specialty tracks.  As a cadet who had been in the program for a while, it took me about 9 months to truly learn the ES program (of course, then they've changed everything on me a few times since then).  I'm still trying to figure out the cadet program after 8 1/2 years in CAP (most of that time as a cadet).

Something like Admin took me all of about 4 months to pick up the ins and outs.  It's just not as broad of a specialty.

As for MLO, well I guess it's because they're supposedly good moral people to begin with?  Beats me.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

pixelwonk

Quote from: CAPSGT on February 14, 2005, 06:46:29 PM
As for MLO, well I guess it's because they're supposedly good moral people to begin with?  Beats me.

I would imagine that it's because you're getting the ecclesiastical recommendation from the Chaplain.
Personally tho, I don't think it's asking too much to give em at least six months before they can get a tech rating out of it.  I've seen a member who's MLO rating surprised me to a high degree.

...your mileage and airspace may vary