Main Menu

Green Flight Suits

Started by cadetnelson, April 09, 2006, 04:00:40 AM

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: cadetnelson on April 10, 2006, 06:56:40 PM
wow.  I had no idea this would be such a hot topic  ;D  I was just still overwhelmed by the large volume of uniform regulations and wondered if there was a real "difference" between the green/blue flight suits.  Thanks everyone, and thank you for your philosophies on advancement too.  :D

No problem. Green bag - follow CAP grooming/weight standards. Blue bag (nomex and 'poor man's flight suit' utility uniform) - no restrictions on weight and grooming.

Yea... there's always a sense of elitism between aircrew and everyone else; it's carried over from the RealAirForce (tm).  They get a little territorial about their distinctiveness. ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

cadetnelson

Okay.  So I have a real-life hypothetical situation for you guys.  Assuming you were 18, a member of or training to be part of a flight crew, and you were working CAP business at an air show, you would be authorized to wear the "green bag" even though you are not technically flying, but you are still a part of a flight crew?

Also, I saw someone in one of these green suits and they were CAP, not USAF, but it looked to me they had a black flight cap on, not the navy blue one.  Was it just the light or do these caps exist?

Thank you.

P.S. back to the aircrew question:  Do all CAP wings/squadrons? have aircrews?  How do you start one?  What do you do and when do you do it?
C/Amn Nelson

MIKE

Quote from: cadetnelson on April 11, 2006, 12:59:36 AM
Okay.  So I have a real-life hypothetical situation for you guys.  Assuming you were 18, a member of or training to be part of a flight crew, and you were working CAP business at an air show, you would be authorized to wear the "green bag" even though you are not technically flying, but you are still a part of a flight crew?

It depends what the wing/squadron policy is.

Quote from: cadetnelson on April 11, 2006, 12:59:36 AM
P.S. back to the aircrew question:  Do all CAP wings/squadrons? have aircrews?  How do you start one?  What do you do and when do you do it?

Not all squadrons will have aircrews... Members may be assigned to aircrews from different units within a wing.
Mike Johnston

Monty

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2006, 05:55:56 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on April 10, 2006, 03:45:02 PM
I allow those members who hold a rating or are part of flight crews, either on paper or in training to wear their flight suit to meetings when bdu's are the prescribed uniform for the night.  If anything, I use it as a recruiting tool.  Lets not forget, BDU's are not the basic uniform for CAP.  Whatever is confortable and practical for the meeting is what is allowed.  I have come across too many people who use uniforms as a tool to separate certain groups in CAP.  the flight suit is one.  If there were a member that is not training for flight crew positions, I would too allow them to wear the flight suit as long as they wore it properly.  That is my prerogative as a unit commander.  Lets not further the misconception that CAP is just a "flying club" for only a few!

In the USAF, a flight suit is considered the day-uniform for members who are current and former aircrew.  The issue with the flight suit is that it is the least "distinctive" of the work-uniform choices, and thus NHQ's reticence about members wearing it outside of flight duties.

It is also the "lazy-man's uniform and looks like crap.  Thus, it should only be worn when flying.

I have no beef with you personally, Eclipse, but please understand the difference between asserting facts and asserting perceptions.

The "crap" comment is a perception...and yours are no more wrong or right than another's perception (which mine happens to be that they are not appearing like "crap.")

Let's teach and mentor based off of facts and not perceptions - this is true for us all (me also.)

(This lil nugget 'o goodness is a fundamental teaching to those that wish to improve their interpersonal communications.  College stuff.)