Wear of officer flight cap in vehicle

Started by Capt Lawrence, April 03, 2006, 09:40:36 PM

Capt Lawrence

Can anyone tell me whether it is correct to wear the flight cap in a vehicle, or is that considered to be "indoors".

Monty

Because it isn't specified, I reckon it's up to you...

However don't expect anybody to follow suit with you.  AF custom is to take it off.  If we wanted to graft the USAF's custom unto its auxiliary......

MIKE

I'd do what the driver does... Though, sometimes its just not practical to wear headgear while riding in a vehicle... Since I am tall, it can be difficult to keep the flight cap on in smaller cars.
Mike Johnston

Westernslope

Quote from: MIKE on April 03, 2006, 09:50:58 PM
I'd do what the driver does... Though, sometimes is just not practical to wear headgear while riding in a vehicle... Since I am tall, It can be difficult to keep the flight cap on in smaller cars.

Me too.

shorning

For both CAP and the AF, I take my flight cap and BDU cap off when I drive (or ride as pax).  If I wear a ballcap, I usually leave it on.  Ballcaps interfere less with my vision when driving.  I don't usually worry whether or not I'm the senior person in the vehicle. , but then...

BlackKnight

The safe play is to follow the lead of the most senior officer in the vehicle!  ;)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Monty

Quote from: BlackKnight on April 04, 2006, 02:54:13 AM
The safe play is to follow the lead of the most senior officer in the vehicle!  ;)

Having been the senior person in the vehicle in the USAF & CAP more times than not, I can tell you that nobody really cares about hats in cars.

Matter of fact, folks took theirs off in the car with me...usually beating me as I took mine off.  Nobody cares...it's not really an environment to get rung up about (at least to my recollection...)

This really isn't that big a deal friends....if anybody gets that bent out of shape on hats, they likely need more to do in life.  :)

mikeylikey

I wear my headgear in the car when driving on post, and expect my officers to do the same.  That being said, berets are some what different than flight caps, but when the Army had garrison caps, we all just didn't really care.  Either way it is entirely up to you.  On a side note....vehicles are not considered under cover as you are expected to return a salute at the main gate if you are afforded one.
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

There is no "under cover" in CAP, or the USAF.  You are either in doors or out of doors.  You salute at the gate because the guard has saluted you and you return the favor.  If you were required to salute then when you drove past the general you would have to initiate the salute.  But that is not the case.

Either way....the proper term is "out of doors" not "under cover". 

I think the Army plays by the under cover rules...can anyone verify for me?

And again...as an active duty MSgt we do not care one way of the other. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Fearlessleader01

We don't make a deal about either the BDU covers or Flight caps. If you want to wear the cover in the vehicle you can, if you don't want to wear it then don't unless ordered otherwise.
C/Maj Joseph Trujillo
NER-CT-058 X0
CTWG CAC Chair
GTM-1, EMT-B

mikeylikey

Quote from: lordmonar on April 04, 2006, 02:26:45 PM
There is no "under cover" in CAP, or the USAF.  You are either in doors or out of doors.  You salute at the gate because the guard has saluted you and you return the favor.  If you were required to salute then when you drove past the general you would have to initiate the salute.  But that is not the case.

Either way....the proper term is "out of doors" not "under cover". 

I think the Army plays by the under cover rules...can anyone verify for me?

And again...as an active duty MSgt we do not care one way of the other. 

The Army does use the term under cover, not so sure if the AF does.  One of those differences that make each service unique.  However, I can speak from an Army view and say that driving or riding in a vehicle is considered "out of doors".  As far as saluting when the Generals car comes by, you are expected to pull over to the side of the road if practical and wait until he or she passes.  That is why they place either flags or placards indicating the number of stars on their vehicle.  Up until the 1990's the Army expected officers and soldiers to salute the generals car when you and he drove by each other. 

On a similar note, when stationed at Ft Sill, I instructed newly commissioned Marine Officers at the Artillery school, and noticed that when enlisted or junior marine officers walked past the cars that were moving they would look for the rank identifier by the DoD Decal and salute the officer inside the car.  It was expected to return the salute.  A few fellow officers had an "informal" counseling for not showing respect.

Honestly, I don't care what others do regarding wearing hats, caps and headgear, unless they are members of my Company.  I expect each of them to take a few seconds and put their berets on before leaving a building and not take them off until they walk back into a building.  It looks more professional than having a soldier walk while placing his or her beret on.  Once again, not the AF, and entirely my decision regarding my command.  Back on track...when attending CAP meetings, I usually just leave my flight cap on when driving.
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

SER Safety

No covers indoors or on the Flight line

thanks
Ernie Manzano, Major
SER
Director of Safety