Main Menu

COS Uniform

Started by Smokey, July 15, 2008, 03:40:01 AM

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 17, 2008, 01:03:34 AM
I hate to be blunt, but isn't it practically the old USAF service dress just in a different shade and with slightly different tailoring? And by "the old" I mean the one our cadets are still authorized to wear, pre-McPeak one.

About the only major difference between what Gen Moseley wore and the old-style uniform is the style of the pocket flaps (the bottom ones are non-functional) and the Hap Arnold buttons. Real old school USAF service dress (old shade 1084) had lower patch pockets.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

I think the scallop of the pocket flaps is slightly more dramatic on the new uniform, too.

But essentially, George is right.  This is the old 1950's-1960's uniform.   
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

Maybe its how he is standing, but it looks pretty rumpled and like it doesn't fit very well. 

shorning

Quote from: RiverAux on July 17, 2008, 03:45:33 AM
Maybe its how he is standing, but it looks pretty rumpled and like it doesn't fit very well. 

Glass half empty, eh?  Looks like a custom fit in the PiR photo. 

MIKE

WRT the CoS pics: It must be a pain to put those individual stars on the epaulets as opposed to using the connected ones.
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: MIKE on July 17, 2008, 04:00:09 AM
WRT the CoS pics: It must be a pain to put those individual stars on the epaulets as opposed to using the connected ones.

That's what his enlisted aide is for.  Seriously.

PhoenixRisen

May be a pain in the arse to do, but IMO, it looks [darn] sharp!  I've never been a fan of the connected stars.

Tubacap

^the other difference, which I appreciate as a conductor, are the gussets in the back allowing for more freedome of movement.  I don't conduct much in CAP, but every now and then we do use a band, and it is hard as heck to conduct in service dress.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Smokey

Well, I don't think he is changing the stars all that often on his service dress. :)  I wish I had such issues!!!
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

mikeylikey

Ya....I don't think I am that big of fan of the new uniform.  For starters, I don't like where the "US" cutouts are sitting.  I don't like the lapel, and the pockets don't look right. 

PLUS.....where is his belt??
What's up monkeys?

stratoflyer

Definitely he should be wearing a belt according to the new uniform specs. Bu I suppose that as far as the belt is concerned, this uniform is a huge improvement over the current coat. This is definitely what CAP should be wearing as well, and will someone please get rid of the TPU coat and uniform?!?

BTW, the monster maroon worn by Kirk kicks major tail!
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: stratoflyer on July 17, 2008, 08:39:12 PM
Definitely he should be wearing a belt according to the new uniform specs. Bu I suppose that as far as the belt is concerned, this uniform is a huge improvement over the current coat. This is definitely what CAP should be wearing as well, and will someone please get rid of the TPU coat and uniform?!?

The Maroon tunic of Star Trek:WOK was supposed to be, designed by Mr Robert Fletcher, the most "uniform" like costume ever worn in a feature film. A far cry from the PJ's of the original series (which really are my favorite) and the 70s-era Monstrosities of the First Star Trek Feature film.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Smithsonia

Excuse me George... are you speaking of the Air Force uniforms worn by Larry Hagman? Or that spicy one worn by Jeannie? If it's Jeannie's outfit... you got 39-1 problems!
With regards; ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

ColonelJack

and will someone please get rid of the TPU coat and uniform?!?

What would you have the people who don't meet AF guidelines wear, then?  I seriously doubt that the Corporate Service Uuniform (its proper name) is going anywhere any time soon, since many members have invested major coin in one and even Gen. Courter wears hers quite often.  It's not a bad uniform at all!

Here we agree ... the best ST uniform ever!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: Smithsonia on July 17, 2008, 09:01:46 PM
Excuse me George... are you speaking of the Air Force uniforms worn by Larry Hagman? Or that spicy one worn by Jeannie? If it's Jeannie's outfit... you got 39-1 problems!
With regards; ED OBRIEN

Unless George looks a LOT like Barbara Eden, 39-1 problems are the LEAST of his worries in Jeannie's spicy outfit!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Cecil DP

He'll never have to do it again!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Flying Pig

Besides.....most Generals have aides who do that stuff for them.

What's interesting is that we are coming to an end of an era.  VERY rarely do you see a General or E-9 anymore with any medals related to Vietnam.  I remember when I was in, all of the higher ups still wore Vietnam related ribbons.

Hawk200

Definitely he should be wearing a belt according to the new uniform specs.

It's a test uniform, there are no "specs" on it. Besides, he's a four star general, they can (and do) modify uniforms for themselves.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 18, 2008, 12:04:22 AM
Besides.....most Generals have aides who do that stuff for them.

What's interesting is that we are coming to an end of an era.  VERY rarely do you see a General or E-9 anymore with any medals related to Vietnam.  I remember when I was in, all of the higher ups still wore Vietnam related ribbons.

Most of the Vietnam-era vets hit their 30-year retirement ceiling around 2005; the few remaining are generals and chief master sergeants/master chiefs/master gunnys/command sergeant majors allowed to serve over 30 years.

If - theoretically - the Iraq/Afghanistan war ended in 2009/10, the last of those who served during that time will be hitting top retirement around 2021-2030 time frame. Gulf War I vets start hitting minimum retirement age in 2010.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

^ Time marches on.  I can't stay in step.
Another former CAP officer