what in the world??? US Flag patch

Started by whatevah, December 08, 2005, 06:25:52 PM

footballrun21

Quote from: MIKE on December 09, 2005, 03:58:43 PM
Quote from: Matt on December 09, 2005, 03:48:17 PM
Well, since we're going Army, the location will probably be 1/2" below the flag.

On ACUs yes, but on the the BDU/DCU the flag is worn beneath the FWTS patch if worn.

Having the flag beneath the NCSA patchs would look better IMO.  I like flag idea, though.  A lot of people (lets say at an air show) think we are military.  When they ask and we say we aren't, they just go, oh, and walk away.  This patch will make us look more military like and give us a better image in the public's eye.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Chris Jacobs

I am not sure if i am the bigest fan of wearing the flag if the air force isn't.  But i sure am proud to wear it.  I wish the air force would catch up with the army and get it on theirs also so that we look more uniform.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Cam89

I think the flag idea is a good one. Why didn't they think of it years ago?
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

Pace

I'm not opposed to wearing the US Flag, I'm opposed to adding another patch, especially when it takes us closer to another branch's uniform wear.  There are many questions and concerns I have with how this was put into effect and its necessity, but I'm not going to repeat what I already posted on cadetstuff.
Lt Col, CAP

Horn229

Well, I'm trying to figure out how he has the authority to do this. According to CAPR 5-1 the national commander can have an emergency regulation put into play, but it doesn't say anything about policy letters. ::)
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: MIKE on December 08, 2005, 08:05:09 PM
Quote from: footballrun21 on December 08, 2005, 08:02:13 PM
does the Hock Shop sell 'em?

Not yet... Only sells the left shoulder one for the zoom bag. 

Just thought I would add that I saw that Tom has recently noted on the site that the flag he sells currently is not the the correct one for the BDU or CAPDFU... So he apparently is aware of the change and you can probably expect him to begin stocking the proper flag shortly.

Also noted this:

Quote from: www.capmart.orgDue to technical difficulties CAPMart's website will be down until further notice. Please call our order lines at 1-888-834-1781 or 1-800-633-8768 or fax your order to 334-265-6381 We apologize for this inconvenience.

Mike Johnston

Pace

Quote from: www.capmart.orgDue to technical difficulties CAPMart's website will be down until further notice. Please call our order lines at 1-888-834-1781 or 1-800-633-8768 or fax your order to 334-265-6381 We apologize for this inconvenience.
Lt Col, CAP

flyguy06

Having the flag beneath the NCSA patchs would look better IMO.  I like flag idea, though.  A lot of people (lets say at an air show) think we are military.  When they ask and we say we aren't, they just go, oh, and walk away.  This patch will make us look more military like and give us a better image in the public's eye.
[/quote]

Are you sure youi want to be mistaken for the military? Some CAP members are not ready for that. It can also bite a person in the butt in they arent careful. Some of these 17 year old cadets with their buzz cuts look like Privates. If an Army NCO sees them, and doesnt realize who they are, they might get cussed out or chewed out. SO, ALthough it may be "ccol" to look like something you admire. It also comes with great responsibility

footballrun21

Looking military has its privileges, though.  Like when you go to get on an AFB, if you're wearing your uniform and give them your ID, you get in with no problem.  If you just give them your ID with no uniform or they get confused (or your parents are in the front seats and you're in the back with tinted windows and aren't visible in uniform), then it takes a whole lot longer.
New Jersey Wing

c/LTCOLorbust

Is it the same as the wing patch??? 1/2 inch down and centered?
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: c/LTCOLorbust on December 11, 2005, 06:09:15 AM
Is it the same as the wing patch??? 1/2 inch down and centered?

Yes, it's 1/2 inch down and centered. I can't say it's the same as my wing patch though, since we in the CAWG have it at 3/4 inch down due to the irregular shape.

Eclipse

It is likely this is due to the fact that on 1 Jan there will be no more CAP Mart.
We will be purchasing our CAP-specific uniform parts direct from Vanguard.

Though this is still officially "rumor", it has now be confirmed from several non-offcial sources.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cam89

What? I buy alot of my things there. Did they not get enough people to buy from them?
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

Eclipse

Though I doubt anyone is going to miss them, it was likely an economic decision as there is no logical reason for CAP to be the middleman when all it does is add cost and hassle to NHQ.

Vanuard actually makes a lot of the stuff CAPMart sells, and I am told their ecommerce experience is far superior to that which CAPMart offers today.

As to those that might suggest the Hock as an alternative, though he's got some stuff it's hard to get elsewhere, what he is selling is unlicensed, unapproved stuff.

In many cases the quality is much lower than the "real" stuff from NHQ - this is especially evident in patches and ribbons where there are serious color problems and
long-term wear issues.  The ILWG Wing patch, for example, that the Hock sells show yellow wings, when they are supposed to be gold.  You can see a Hock Wing patch from a mile away.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

At the same time, some of the Hock's stuff is better than CrAPMart's.  For example, the ground team badges show much more detail than the "authorized" ones from NHQ.
Lt Col, CAP

footballrun21

Is it a matter of the hock shop having unlicenced/ unapproved stuff or is it that he just has better quality/newer or older items than CAPMart has.
New Jersey Wing

c/LTCOLorbust

1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

Eclipse

I had my Group legal officer address this to them directly - literally asked how it was that they were getting away with selling CAP copywritten logos and insignia w/o NHQ throwing a cease and desist at them as they did about a year ago with the nametapes /  flightsuit tag guys.

The answer was that they have simply gone to PAC-Rim manufacturers and had them create their own versions of the insignia, patches, etc.

They also seemed surprised that this was even an issue.  Considering that their prices are the same or sometimes more than CM, I would imagine they turn a fair profit on the stuff they've had made themselves.

I've bought, and will continue to buy, generic stuff from there, like BDU stiffeners, but
won't buy any insignia, etc., for two reasons, first, on principal because of the licensing issues, but more so because they are "different".  Even if they are, in some cases, arguably better in detail, they will still stand out as different, which is not the point of a uniform item.

The cadets and seniors in my unit have been instructed similiarly.

"That Others May Zoom"