Main Menu

Pink Ribbon

Started by garrettkitt, June 22, 2014, 04:20:12 AM

garrettkitt

So I just came from JFA (Johnson Flight Academy) and was given an unique award. It' is called a "pink ribbon award".  It is given to a cadet that does something very stupid/dumb and it has to be a completely innocent act of stupidly. I.e. Trying to taxi off with your wings still tied down to the Tarmac. I received mine for hitting my head on a wing strut and powering down the plane by engaging the start on the magnetos while the plane was still running lol. My question is does anyone know of anyone else who has received this award? Yes, it is unofficial and only given out by one senior member. This SM is from Illinois. Anyways I got the pink ribbon and will be wearing it at squadron events (not wing or nat.)

Garrett Kitterman C/MSgt
Sq. Deputy Commander
GLR-IN-220
C/SMSgt Garrett Kitterman
C/Squadron Commander
GLR-IN-220

MSG Mac

!!!!DO NOT WEAR IT AT YOUR UNIT. !!!!!

It is not a CAP Award. Keep it as a memento of having survived an act of stupidity and share the story with friends. ONLY
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Don't wear it on your uniform.

That "Senior Member" was supposed to knock off giving those out a long time ago.

Also, unless something changed this week, you should adjust your signature.

With both above said, how did things go?  The weather was pretty iffy this week.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panzerbjorn

You received an award for hitting your head on a strut and trying to power off the aircraft with the key?   Hmmmm.....Where's mine with oak leaf clusters?  There isn't a Cessna pilot yet that hasn't hit their head on a strut or tattooed their forehead with diamond dimples from running into the trailing edge of the flap.  It's one of the reasons I always wear a ball cap when I'm flying or pre-flighting.

If you received that award for stupid things done, not much must've gone on and they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for reasons to give that award.  Hope you're not beating yourself up over it.  Also hope you had a heck of a good time and made the best out of each flight that that week!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

The CyBorg is destroyed

Those kind of "awards" should go the way of the dodo bird.

I remember in a former squadron we were prepping the airplane for an inspection.  A squadron member slipped and broke his arm in two places.

He was the safety officer.

Such a thing may seem funny but this guy was in some serious pain.

Needless to say, do not wear it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NorCal21

Quote from: CyBorg on June 22, 2014, 06:10:39 AM

Why? They are long storied, and usually meant to be some harmless fun. Its still widely used in the military. I point to the Navy still pinning on aviator wings on a submariner officer who breaches the sub accidentally.

Garibaldi

It can still be considered as a form of hazing, in some eyes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

inactive123

:-* Interesting. I was also there,and I know a glider cadet recieved it for a rope break. I overheard another cadet saying it was authorized only to be worn in the Illinois wing. The wind is what kept cadets out of the sky.
C/MSgt

The CyBorg is destroyed

I suppose it's my ingrained ex-safety officer talking.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

garrettkitt

Quote from: Eclipse on June 22, 2014, 04:31:33 AM

That "Senior Member" was supposed to knock off giving those out a long time ago.

With both above said, how did things go?  The weather was pretty iffy this week.

I did have great fun. Got around 8.4 hours of flight! I know not to wear it, I just find it quite funny! And signature? This is a forum not a formal email I am sending out to the president? Anyways thanks for asking!
C/SMSgt Garrett Kitterman
C/Squadron Commander
GLR-IN-220

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 22, 2014, 07:34:12 AM

Why? They are long storied, and usually meant to be some harmless fun. Its still widely used in the military. I point to the Navy still pinning on aviator wings on a submariner officer who breaches the sub accidentally.

Long storied? I've been around since 1967 and never heard the story about the "pink ribbon."

It's pointless twaddle, designed to inflate the presenter while deflating the recipient.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

AirAux

I would mount it on an award board and place a brass nameplate on it and put it on the wall of fame.  It will always get attention and give you something to talk about and remember your flight training.  Congratulations on your flight training.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: garrettkitt on June 23, 2014, 03:10:48 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 22, 2014, 04:31:33 AM

I did have great fun. Got around 8.4 hours of flight! I know not to wear it, I just find it quite funny!

Being that you're a C/MSgt you should know "not to wear it". That said, you stated on your first post that you "will be wearing it at squadron events (not wing or nat.)" [sic.] Which one is it?

Quote from: garrettkitt on June 23, 2014, 03:10:48 AM
And signature? This is a forum not a formal email I am sending out to the president?

You forgot to say "sir" at the end of that sentence. Seriously, an experienced Lt Col is giving you feedback and that's not an appropriate way to respond, forum or not. Now, I don't know if you changed your signature block or not, but your first post on this tread says you're a "Sq. Deputy Commander". Since that position is reserved to senior members, I imagine what you meant was that you're the Cadet Deputy Commander. If so, that's an even bigger reason for you to comply with uniform regulations and to show proper respect to CAP officers.

(edited for grammar)

Private Investigator

Slightly off topic but when does a Cadet experience that "moment of clarity"? It must be one of the milestones?   8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 23, 2014, 07:09:10 PM
You forgot to say "sir" at the end of that sentence. Seriously, an experienced Lt Col is giving you feedback and that's not an appropriate way to respond, forum or not.

Well stated, Sir.

(note: Storm Chaser is a Major and I am a Captain)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Salty

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 23, 2014, 08:21:39 PM
Slightly off topic but when does a Cadet experience that "moment of clarity"? It must be one of the milestones?   8)

I received mine the moment the doors of the bus opened at Lackland AFB in the middle of the night and a TI started yelling.

;)

The only thing I've ever seen remotely close to these "pink ribbons" were the embroidered "purple heart" patches we got for sustaining an injury doing something dumb while deployed to Saudi Arabia.  The patches were given out by the hospital commander and I still have mine stored in my foot locker.

I think these methods can be used in good fun and help build camaraderie but I also agree that some people use these methods to haze and demean others.  I'm not sure if this is appropriate for Civil Air Patrol but the military and many Greek organizations in college still use these methods without incident.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

Mitchell 1969

Its still widely used in the military. I point to the Navy still pinning on aviator wings on a submariner officer who breaches the sub accidentally.

Define "widely used." And, it's a giant leap between somebody in the Navy possibily doing this and being able to say that "the Navy" does it.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 25, 2014, 07:06:13 AM

Its still widely used in the military. I point to the Navy still pinning on aviator wings on a submariner officer who breaches the sub accidentally.

Define "widely used." And, it's a giant leap between somebody in the Navy possibily doing this and being able to say that "the Navy" does it.

I've never served on a submarine but even as a young Marine I had heard of this tradition. So I believe "widely" is the appropriate word.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

For those who believe this type of thing is "harmless" and "all in fun", perhaps a review of the most
recent 52-10 will assist the understanding.

Further to this point, and something which needs to be considered in the broad discussion;
Ask yourself..."Why is the ribbon pink?"

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2014, 04:05:34 AM
Further to this point, and something which needs to be considered in the broad discussion;
Ask yourself..."Why is the ribbon pink?"

As someone who never got to meet my mother-in-law due to breast cancer, and who is helping his wife fight this horrible disease, this pushes buttons with me, and not good ones.

The pink ribbon has become a symbol of survival for women and men (Peter Criss, former drummer of KISS, is a breast cancer survivor), and their caregivers and loved ones.

I don't like seeing it trivialised.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011