Level 3 achievement

Started by huey, May 28, 2014, 12:33:46 PM

LSThiker

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 30, 2014, 02:21:49 PM
Courses are one thing...levels another.

Mine were courses.  Could have been levels or promotions.

I have my DD214 on file at the county registrars office, in a fire box at my home, and at my parents home.  You realize that back in the 1960s or 70s, NHQ had a fire and lost many records and files.  The Army lost a records warehouse in Saint Louis due to a fire sometime back in the 1950s on 12 July 1973. 

Майор Хаткевич

Again, if levels clear out...I have my file at the unit. I have requirement paperwork that was necessary for the level completion. Of grade, and levels disappear? If I'm still in CAP, I have squadron and group command staff to vouch for me on top of the paperwork in my file and my house/computer. If I'm no longer in? Who would care?

Eclipse

You both have valid points, but there is also practical reality.

Once you've been promoted to a given grade, what went before doesn't mean much.

If you still need to substantiate SLS or CLC, then by all means hang onto the proof, but once you have the bars,
etc., even a major glitch isn't going to require anything more then showing NHQ your most recent ID card, etc.

Something I did notice recently, there seems to be more then a few senior members who have at least one
cadet-demotion in their records, (i.e. 2d Lt - 1st Lt - Capt - C/Amn - Major)  happened to my Wing CC, and I noticed
it the other day on another member.

I have a CAP electronic personnel file and everything I get / care about is scanned or photographed in there.
There is less and less each year that I would worry about losing in a fire, since everything is still there as long
as I have my login credentials.

The people who have been most "bit" by lost records are generally those with some drama in the file - prolonged
CAP gap in membership, "Jim doesn't like me." "I was pinned by General Schwarzkopf but no one did the paperwork.", etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 30, 2014, 02:27:47 PM
Again, if levels clear out...I have my file at the unit. I have requirement paperwork that was necessary for the level completion. Of grade, and levels disappear? If I'm still in CAP, I have squadron and group command staff to vouch for me on top of the paperwork in my file and my house/computer. If I'm no longer in? Who would care?

Just lessons through experience when stuff hits the fan.

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2014, 02:32:11 PM
I have a CAP electronic personnel file and everything I get / care about is scanned or photographed in there.
There is less and less each year that I would worry about losing in a fire, since everything is still there as long
as I have my login credentials.

Well yes, by binder I really mean file whether electronic or actual.  Mine is now electronic with everything loaded on a storage drive and a cloud.

LSThiker

The people who have been most "bit" by lost records are generally those with some drama in the file - prolonged
CAP gap in membership

Have seen that.  A former Spaatz cadet trying to get back in after getting out in the 1980s.  Name showed up on the TSA website.  He could not find the Spaatz certificate.  NHQ would not accept the TSA list.  Took about a month for NHQ to find his Spaatz certificate. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

I got a Level 2 certificate back in 1995, but it's long since lost in my many moves (though it is recorded at National).

All of my certificates and military discharge papers are in a fireproof lockbox.

I have walls that I could use for the proverbial "I Love Me" wall but I think it would be a bit egotistical...that's just me.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2014, 02:49:42 PM
I have walls that I could use for the proverbial "I Love Me" wall but I think it would be a bit egotistical...that's just me.

Never got into the "I Love Me" wall.  Not a single degree, certificate, board certification, medal, or shadow box is hanging on my walls.  That space is reserved for my child and artwork. 

THRAWN

Quote from: LSThiker on May 30, 2014, 06:12:01 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2014, 02:49:42 PM

Never got into the "I Love Me" wall.  Not a single degree, certificate, board certification, medal, or shadow box is hanging on my walls.  That space is reserved for my child and artwork.

You hang your child on a wall?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: THRAWN on May 30, 2014, 06:49:20 PM
You hang your child on a wall?

It makes finding her really easy.  She takes after me and tries to climb it :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LSThiker on May 30, 2014, 06:12:01 PM

I didn't either...people sometimes wonder why I don't have my college degree on display (it's still in its original 1992 presentation folder).  My wife doesn't display hers either.

I came from a culture where you didn't "put yourself forward."

One of the strangest ones I have is from when I was in the CGAUX, listing me as a "founding member" of the Department of Homeland Security!  Figure that one out!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

My home is a tramp.

Some walls love me, some my wife, a bunch of them seem to favor the kids (don't get me started about
the frig!), a few show affection for people who don't even live here.

On the other hand, the garage likes to stand around with its walls half-naked, with a hipster's
wannabe aesthetic of maps, ads, and old signs.

To those of you who apparently only have one wall, forcing you to make hard life choices about what is displayed,
you have my sympathy. 

It must be very drafty.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I have nothing on my walls, not even in my home office. Not a single degree, award or certificate from school, college, the Air Force, CAP or other organizations. I have the space, but it's never been a priority for me. Not that there's anything wrong with displaying someone's accomplishments.

James Shaw

My wife is the one who has everything framed. She does that to keep it out of the house and "her" walls. Not a scrap in the house "other than hers" in her office. She is also the one who decorates my studio behind our house. It is the price I pay for a happy marriage.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Pingree1492

(...)  Something I did notice recently, there seems to be more then a few senior members who have at least one
cadet-demotion in their records, (i.e. 2d Lt - 1st Lt - Capt - C/Amn - Major)  happened to my Wing CC, and I noticed
it the other day on another member.   (...)

This isn't a demotion, it's a system error.  I have the same thing on my electronic file.

It came about when we were moving to the online SQTR's and such.  You had to have been listed as a C/Amn for your 101 Card to be valid.  That I had already earned my Spaatz at that point didn't seem to matter to OpsQuals.  So my ES officer had to put in the 'achievement' of C/Amn for my card to show up. 

Wonders of moving to a new system...
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Eclipse

You're saying he manually entered you as a C/Amn?

I can tell you it isn't consistent across the board, just seems to pop up on random members.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pingree1492

I was entered into OpsQuals as a Cadet Airman, in order to have the 101 card displayed.  At the time, cadet promotions weren't tracked in eServices, but milestones were.  So, if you look at my records, you'll see that I earned the Curry Achievement and the Billy Mitchell award on the same date (the system at the time automatically back-dated the entry of C/Amn in OpsQuals to the Billy Mitchell award date, if it had been achieved.  If not, you "earned" the Curry Achievement on whatever date the award was entered- regardless of your actual cadet grade at the time).

When the change-over occurred in the cadet promotion tracking system happened (sometime after 2011), the 'promotion' to Cadet Airman was now tracked as the date that it was entered into OpsQuals.  So if you look at my records, I was promoted to C/Col in Feb 2003, and 'promoted' to C/Amn in Oct 2004.  I'm sure it can be fixed by National, but it's not exactly been a priority.

Just a bit of background knowledge if you see this in someone's records.  Only cadets who were active in ES around that time and actually earned a specialty would have this crop up, so not an especially common error.  Obviously no one can get dumped from C/Col to C/Amn, and taking away a Spaatz Award would kinda make the news...
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Майор Хаткевич

When my Mitchell was submitted, they backdated and issued me a WBA, which of course was too high for date of issue. But it's not listed as same day.

a2capt

I had several .. back when this was first brought online we had direct access to simply edit things as they needed to be. The comment "***This module is for inserting new achievements and awards ONLY. To input prior achievements please email Sharon Jackson at sjackson@capnhq.gov ***" dates back to that, as it used to say "use the EDIT ... " to input prior achievements.

Eventually we had an evening where we just entered in everyone and used the online records from that point onward.

BillB

Or you could havebeen in the "old" cadet program. There a Squadron CC could promote/demote at any time. Promotions were not attached to achievements other that completing COP for any cadet officer grades. I think I went fromC/1Lt to C/Maj, back to C/Capt, back to C/Maj then back to C/1Lt all within 6 months. Wing CC could promote to C/LCol and C/Col after completing achievments 8 and 9.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

NorCal21

OK, I have a question. For me to finish Level 3 I need to conferences. How exactly as those conferences registered though? There's no listing of them in a person's record on eServices as far as I can tell. Is the only record of attendance one has the attendance sheet they are given after attending the conference? Or is there a national record?