Main Menu

Ranger Headgear

Started by ranger_freak, June 18, 2012, 06:46:47 PM

sarmed1

Quote from: Angus on June 18, 2012, 06:51:15 PM
Oh joy another ranger topic.

I don't agree as not many people have attend HMRS and to boot there are things you learn there that you'll never use.

compared to.......?  HMRS typically runs somewhere between 100-200 students per summer school in a 10 day activity.  Compared to other NCSA's I'd say thats pretty many CAP members.

I would wager that when it comes to GTM skills there are a lot of members that will never use what they learned; that doesnt automatically negate that information/skills that they learned. 
Just out of curiousity;  which "things" do you mean? (the R/1 knot skills for water knot, swiss seat and chest harness are pretty much the only ones I see....thats a pretty small part of the school just FYI)

Based on my research attached are the list of skills that are on the Ranger skill sheets thru R/1.  table 1 are all of the GTM skills; attachment two are the "Ranger" specific skills. 
mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Eclipse

Quote from: sarmed1 on June 19, 2012, 03:33:15 AM
compared to.......?  HMRS typically runs somewhere between 100-200 students per summer school in a 10 day activity.  Compared to other NCSA's I'd say thats pretty many CAP members.
You're describing a medium sized encampment.

What I'd like to propose is that there be a moratorium against any more HMRS threads beyond simple announcements by any members with less than 100 posts.  That should give anyone sufficient time to spend here and snack on reality for a bit and negate the drive-bys.

There's nothing new under the sun here, and won't be in the foreseeable future.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

I have nothing against the brand of [training] <edit: mod> that our badgers acquire in "Ranger School" ( I did not know that fingers could be made to feel like they are vomiting until I typed "Ranger School" in connection with a Cadet activity) Yes, some of the skills are transferable, and the tenacity and hardening will (hopefully) make them better cadets, SAR Operators, and probably and put them in the top ten percent  of Map and Compass people in CAP. That being said, I have to wonder if their obsession with wearing girl scout hats (And holding down my gorge........) "Ranger Tabs" ( Thank god I ate a small meal tonight) and general fixation on everything peripheral and unimportant in their training speaks to the seriousness of those selected to attend.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RogueLeader

To the op. Why us this not in then uniform section as you are talking about uniforms, and not about the lack of skills?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

fyrfitrmedic

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Ranger4life

I completely agree with Ranger Freak. The orange beret would look freakin awesome. Plus, it would only be allowed for a select group of people ( ranger 1st classes and up). Why does blue beret get a beret if Hawk cant have one too?

Eclipse

Quote from: Ranger4life on June 19, 2012, 03:36:50 PM
I completely agree with Ranger Freak. The orange beret would look freakin awesome. Plus, it would only be allowed for a select group of people ( ranger 1st classes and up). Why does blue beret get a beret if Hawk cant have one too?

A: It's name.

B: You don't think HMRS already has enough unique identifiers?

Question:  Where did you hear about this conversation?  What motivated you to join the CAPTalk community?

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

My guess would be that he completely agrees with ranger_freak because he is ranger_freak.
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

Quote from: MIKE on June 19, 2012, 03:48:33 PM
My guess would be that he completely agrees with ranger_freak because he is ranger_freak.

So does that get both profiles banned, or just one?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

BGNightfall

Ranger Thread Checklist:

Commentary to deride Ranger Bling: check, and check
Commentary to deride "useless" Ranger task qualification: check
sarmed1 defends Ranger task qualification: check
Direct to search function to seek other, closed Ranger threads: check
Comment/Image on pummeling of deceased equine:
Comparison to NESA:
Comparison to NBB: Check
Call for thread lock:

Bonus Points:
Thread post in wrong location, relocated: +10
OP replies with new username to defend position: +20

Phil Hirons, Jr.

<SARCASM>
Sure. Let's authorize the orange beret, but only in size 13 or larger :P
</SARCASM>

a2capt

Quote from: Ranger4life on June 19, 2012, 03:36:50 PMWhy does blue beret get a beret if Hawk cant have one too?
Rename the whole thing National Orange Beret, and drop all the other specific bling stuff.
As an alternative, you could use gray berets, since it's a Keystone State event, that would give it a link..

BGNightfall

For the OP:

If an orange beret is something that you think would improve the Ranger program, then I suggest that you write a paper on what need it fills and how it would benefit the program.  Do some solid research on this, to include viability, and address the negative factors as well (some of which have been voiced on this thread).  Use proper, concise language, and organize your argument into clear bullet points.  Have it proofread by an older cadet, or a Senior Member for spelling or grammar errors.  Once your well-reasoned report is complete, submit it to your chain of command.  The answer may be "No.", or no answer at all.

ZigZag911

I see one definite advantage to Orange Beret, and would like to see it authorized for ALL HMRS graduates, assuming it could be approved for wear with service uniforms as well as BDUs.

What advantage, you wonder? Well, it would enable the rest of us to recognize them on sight, rather than wait for them to speak and spew nonsense!

Hey, if they want to wear brightly colored clothing as "warning labels", why try to stop 'em?!?

Angus

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 19, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
I see one definite advantage to Orange Beret, and would like to see it authorized for ALL HMRS graduates, assuming it could be approved for wear with service uniforms as well as BDUs.

What advantage, you wonder? Well, it would enable the rest of us to recognize them on sight, rather than wait for them to speak and spew nonsense!

Hey, if they want to wear brightly colored clothing as "warning labels", why try to stop 'em?!?

LOL I love it. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

sarmed1

Quote from: BGNightfall on June 19, 2012, 04:50:23 PM
For the OP:

If an orange beret is something that you think would improve the Ranger program, then I suggest that you write a paper on what need it fills and how it would benefit the program.  Do some solid research on this, to include viability, and address the negative factors as well (some of which have been voiced on this thread).  Use proper, concise language, and organize your argument into clear bullet points.  Have it proofread by an older cadet, or a Senior Member for spelling or grammar errors.  Once your well-reasoned report is complete, submit it to your chain of command.  The answer may be "No.", or no answer at all.

that has to be one of the best replys/suggestions to any "bling" issue I have seen here yet.

mk

sarmed1

Quote from: BGNightfall on June 19, 2012, 04:31:39 PM
Ranger Thread Checklist:

Commentary to deride Ranger Bling: check, and check
Commentary to deride "useless" Ranger task qualification: check
sarmed1 defends Ranger task qualification: check
Direct to search function to seek other, closed Ranger threads: check
Comment/Image on pummeling of deceased equine:
Comparison to NESA:
Comparison to NBB: Check
Call for thread lock:

Bonus Points:
Thread post in wrong location, relocated: +10
OP replies with new username to defend position: +20

You forgot someone has to add in about thier experience with Rangers during Katrina

mk

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: sarmed1 on June 19, 2012, 05:20:02 PM
You forgot someone has to add in about thier experience with Rangers during Katrina

Funny, that's what I always think of when Ranger stuff is brought up.

P.S. I wasn't there, just heard the stories. :)

sarmed1

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 19, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
Quote from: sarmed1 on June 19, 2012, 05:20:02 PM

Funny, that's what I always think of when Ranger stuff is brought up.

P.S. I wasn't there, just heard the stories. :)
me either; it is at least one of the more legitimate gripes that I dont see a good excuse for.....

mk

Extremepredjudice

Is there something in the water at HMRS? Rangers seem to make up a very large amount of the trolls on CT...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"