Main Menu

Service Cap

Started by cadetesman, January 22, 2012, 11:49:17 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 23, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
I don't wear one because with my head shape, I look like a giant tool bag in it.goofy, IMO.

At least we don't have these:

It's a wonder our Russian friends don't get an ache in the neck from having to balance that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Chappie

I own one and wear it only on formal outdoor occassions (Memorial services, participating in the Memorial Day/Veterans Day observances, etc.).  The rest of the time it sits in a box in the closet.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

medicmike

The Flight Cap is easier to wear with the blues for meetings and such.  The Service Cap does look better with the dress blues.
Michael Bridge          USAF Retired
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003

lordmonar

Quote from: Pylon on January 23, 2012, 12:33:56 AM
Plus there's the inherited culture from the Air Force.  The Air Force rarely, rarely wears the service cap with blues (with the exception of Honor Guard-type things where it's the prescribed headgear).
They are not issued at basic training anymore....and only Majors and above are REQUIRED to have them.
So....yes....it is only going to be a one in a while here and there uniform item.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAPsteve

I always wear my Service Cap when wearing class "A", "B', or "C" uniform.  I think is is more "dress'er" than the flight cap.

I myself, also think I look better in the service Cap. My head is to "square" for a flight cap.

davidsinn

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 06:45:41 AM
  I always wear my Service Cap when wearing class "A", "B', or "C" uniform.  I think is is more "dress'er" than the flight cap.

I myself, also think I look better in the service Cap. My head is to "square" for a flight cap.

WTH is class C?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2012, 06:49:54 AM
Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 06:45:41 AM

WTH is class C?
I was told it was short sleeve blues w/ ribbons
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

You've been told wrong.

There's no such thing as Class A, B, or C uniforms in CAP. This has not been official terminology since before I joined CAP in 1964. It's left over from the Army Air Corps days, and has been passed down over the years by misguided members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on February 10, 2012, 07:32:21 AM
You've been told wrong.

There's no such thing as Class A, B, or C uniforms in CAP. This has not been official terminology since before I joined CAP in 1964. It's left over from the Army Air Corps days, and has been passed down over the years by misguided members.

The USAF has resurrected Class A and B so I don't give people crap about those two anymore.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

But it's still not in the CAP lexicon. We can sit here and pick everything else apart, but now it's OK to use incorrect terminology to confuse the general membership? I guess I just don't get it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dad2-4

We were issued service caps in Basic in 1985, and we were required to stand inspection with them in full blues during PME. Anyone who had lost theirs since Basic had to buy, borrow, or beg one. That was the only time I wore it since I was a Security Policeman.
Like some others have said, I might get one after I make Major, but they are indeed pricey.

CAPsteve

Sardragon,
you may been in CAP since 1964, but, in the "real Military" There is still a Class "A"-"C".    In the new AF uniform of today, if you took the ribbons off the uniform, people would expect you to open their car door for them or drive a bus.
  The AF uniform has become so civilian looking in this day and time because CP has entered the upper AF COC who does not want the AF to look or act Military.

I just retired in 2009 as a 1Sgt. with 25 years of service and there is still Class A,B,and C's in the Military.  Also, I was a CAP Cadet in the 1950s-1960s. I was asked to train and prepare our Cadets for Military Service and that is what I am doing.  The Military does not use "CAP civilain terms".  To keep them out of trouble when they enlist, they will know the correct terms to use and they wan't end up "cry babies" or "wimps".

I take it you are one of those Officer types who has never been in the Military, but likes to put on a uniform and pretend you are Military.

If you have a problem with that; that is YOUR problem!

jeders

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 04:14:39 PM
Sardragon,

I take it you are one of those Officer types who has never been in the Military, but likes to put on a uniform and pretend you are Military.

*Runs for cover*
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Carrales

This is somewhat uncalled for.  While I don't fully discount the idea of uniform "Classes" as a shorthand...I cannot condone people making ad hominem attacks.  What would it really matter if he were the lowest private in the Army, Highest Admiral in the Navy or a Civilian?  It would not change the meaning of his words at all.  Attacking the person is not any way to win a debate.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

GTCommando

QuoteSardragon,
you may been in CAP since 1964, but, in the "real Military" There is still a Class "A"-"C".    In the new AF uniform of today, if you took the ribbons off the uniform, people would expect you to open their car door for them or drive a bus.
  The AF uniform has become so civilian looking in this day and time because CP has entered the upper AF COC who does not want the AF to look or act Military.

I just retired in 2009 as a 1Sgt. with 25 years of service and there is still Class A,B,and C's in the Military.  Also, I was a CAP Cadet in the 1950s-1960s. I was asked to train and prepare our Cadets for Military Service and that is what I am doing.  The Military does not use "CAP civilain terms".  To keep them out of trouble when they enlist, they will know the correct terms to use and they wan't end up "cry babies" or "wimps".

^ With respect, I'll have to take SarDragon's side on this. I can't believe I'm saying it, but we are not the Real Military(TM), and as such their uniform protocol does not automatically apply to us, for better or for worse. There are no Class A's, B's or C's in CAP, plain and simple. If you'll look in CAPM 39-1, our uniforms are defined as Service Dress, Short Sleeve Dress Uniform, etc. but no 'Classes.'

Also, let's try to keep discussions focused on the issues at hand, and not direct attacks toward people. Let's remember our Core Value of Respect. Take a look at SarDragon's signature. There's no pretending about it. Again, let's try to keep this conversation respectful and professional.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: GTCommando on February 10, 2012, 04:39:02 PM
QuoteSardragon,

^ With respect, I'll have to take SarDragon's side on this. I can't believe I'm saying it, but we are not the Real Military(TM), and as such their uniform protocol does not automatically apply to us, for better or for worse. There are no Class A's, B's or C's in CAP, plain and simple. If you'll look in CAPM 39-1, our uniforms are defined as Service Dress, Short Sleeve Dress Uniform, etc. but no 'Classes.'

Also, let's try to keep discussions focused on the issues at hand, and not direct attacks toward people. Let's remember our Core Value of Respect. Take a look at SarDragon's signature. There's no pretending about it. Again, let's try to keep this conversation respectful and professional.
+1

I just realized "Real Military" = RM  >:D >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Sardragon,

OK, there is just so much wrong with this post that I can't help responding.

1) As has been said before, we are not the "real military". We are an auxiliary. What the "Real Military" does is of little consequence to us except as detailed in the AFIs and AFMANs which deal with CAP (or that CAP references).

2) The purpose of the cadet program is not to prepare them for military service. The purpose is to allow members 12-21 to have hands-on leadership learning opportunities. While many of our cadets may go on to enlist, that is not the stated purpose of the program.

3) Do you really think that knowing what a "Class C" uniform is will prevent them from being "cry babies" and "wimps" if they hypothetically choose to enlist? Last I heard BMT does an excellent job of teaching them correct terminology - your focus should be building the character and leadership skills that they will need in the Real WorldTM, regardless of whether they go into military service or not.

4) If you look at SarDragon's signature, you will see that he is retired Navy. Your shot below-the-belt was totally uncalled for.

5) Your prior service does not make you the "God of Cadet Programs". I have heard this more than once and it disgusts me every time I hear it. If you're not willing to learn the CAP Cadet Program and administer it as written, you might want to consider a different role.

SarDragon

Sardragon,

Well, I think the other responses just about covered everything, but I'll add my two cents, too.

As my signature clearly states, I am retired military. Before and after my AD period of 21 years, I was and am a dependent, so I've had some sort of association with the military my entire life. Your "take" is entirely incorrect.

The trouble with using the Class nomenclature is two-fold. First - it's not official. It is, in the CAP world, a leftover from the '40s, and maybe '50s. Second - it is unevenly used. Some units use it; others don't. When a cadet from the second group encounters someone from the first group, confusion ensues. This is, IMHO, not good.

Also, while we're talking about the Real Military, it consists of five branches - Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard (sort of, but we'll include them for this discussion). Two of the three seagoing services (USN & USCG) do not use letter designators, so your statement - in the "real Military" There is still a Class "A"-"C" - is incorrect, unless you don't consider the Navy and Coast Guard as part of the military.

Regarding your having been a cadet, I only have to say that today's cadet program is not the same as it was back then. I joined during the transition period, and have watched the changes ever since. I think you need to embrace those changes a little bit better, and move into the 21st century.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

68w20

It seems like this discussion on uniform "classes" is unnecessary.  As a Cadet I often had run-ins with individuals who referred to uniforms by "class".  For example, I was once contacted by the SM POC for a recruiting event at an airshow with instructions to show up wearing my Class B's.  I had never been exposed to the concept before, and as a result had no idea what he meant by Class B.  That doesn't mean that I had an enormous existential crisis because of the misunderstanding.  Instead, I politely asked him what exactly he meant by Class B, apologizing for my ignorance on the subject.  He told me what he meant and I showed up in the right uniform, the end.

Proper education on CAP "lingo" and shorthand are essential to helping our new members to understand how the program runs.  That being said, just because someone's a brand new C/AB or SMWOG doesn't mean that they're incapable of asking for clarification on what's really not that big of a deal.

lordmonar

Is it really that big of a deal?

Sure it is not offical....but we use a lot of non-offical terminology.

It is not worth getting our shorts into a bind over it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP