Main Menu

Service Cap

Started by cadetesman, January 22, 2012, 11:49:17 PM

cadetesman

Why do so few members wear the service cap?

I've seen cadet officers, and officers, and I've only seen one wear a service cap, with the rest wearing a flight cap.

Why is this?

RogueLeader

Flight cap is a whole lot easier to manage. I have a service cap for the special occasion.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Depends on Wg authorizing it and having them.  I wore one in AFJROTC and CAP till I returned stateside, and then I think I only wore it once, once I transferred.  I prefer the look over the flight cap, but that's just me.

GTCommando

IMO, there's two reasons:

1.  Expense: Unless you find a killer deal, for the average Cadet Officer it's just too much for an optional uniform item that you wear 2-3 times a month max.

2.  Practicality: Considering most activities that warrant blues take place indoors, a flight cap is much more practical. With a flight cap, you tuck it into your belt and don't have to worry about it until you go back out. With a service cap, you either have to lay it down somewhere, or carry it with you everywhere.

In short, unless it's a (very) special occasion, or I'll be spending a good amount of time outdoors, I'll grab the flight cap every time.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

AlphaSigOU

A service cap can be awkward to carry, especially indoors, and few places actually have dedicated hat racks. Many who have the service cap (including myself) only wear it with the service dress uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Lord of the North

As far as cadets are concerned.  The Wing Commander has to authorize them to wear the service cap.

abdsp51

Quote from: Lord of the North on January 23, 2012, 12:04:21 AM
As far as cadets are concerned.  The Wing Commander has to authorize them to wear the service cap.

That's what I meant.  And the cost is a huge factor Mine was if I recall 50-60 I believe.

Pylon

Plus there's the inherited culture from the Air Force.  The Air Force rarely, rarely wears the service cap with blues (with the exception of Honor Guard-type things where it's the prescribed headgear).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

It's now in 36-2903 that all Maj and above will have them.  And I would have to look but I believe it's optional with blues combo.

AlphaSigOU

Difference in price at the MCSS is about $10-15 between the enlisted/company grade officer service cap (plain bill) and the field grade service cap (with the 'farts and darts'). Where available, the general officer service cap runs about $75. (Of course... prices my vary.)

In the USAF, majors and above are required to own a service cap, per AFI 36-2903.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pylon

They may be required to possess one, but you still don't see many USAF officers wearing them.

abdsp51

I'll give ya that.  But I'll take a service cap any day around here a heck of alot harder for the wind to take it off your head.

Eclipse

Better in the rain, too (with a cover).

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

When I was a Captain, mine was stolen from the POW table at a banquet. ( Yes, you will go to hell for doing this!) I have not felt the overwhelming urge to go buy the 2.0 version for Majors yet, but maybe someday.....I wear Blues pretty rarely anyway. The large doses of steroids I take have pushed me over my personal tolerance level for how much "shoehorn" I need to get into my Uniform anyway.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

abdsp51

I sold mine many many years ago.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I had one but I sold it.

When I (hopefully) promote to Major in June, I may get one with farts and darts on it...or I may not.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

It is definately an attractive hat, but you need the designer shades to go with it otherwise you only have a quarter of the kewl factor to go with it. In all seriousness, price, mobility, and uniformity probably play big factors in it. I am not a cadet officer, but I wouldn't want to dish out a lot of money for some hat I would wear less than once a month, I would only wear it if all the other officers had one, if I were not with other cadet officers, on goes the flight cap, and if it is a hassle to find a place to put it, I would also need a girlfriend to put it on.

jimmydeanno

I don't wear one because with my head shape, I look like a giant tool bag in it.  The Army version looks good on my head, but the saucer on top of the AF style is too wide and looks goofy, IMO.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 23, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
The Army version looks good on my head, but the saucer on top of the AF style is too wide and looks goofy, IMO.

Consider a less-common Kingform brand cap ( http://www.kingformcap.com/afmenscaps.html ) which seem to have a noticeably smaller "saucer" up top, rather than the standard Bernard Co. caps which do indeed have a very wide and large saucer ( http://bernardcap.com/airforce.htm ).

Eclipse

It's kinda hard to tell from the angles on their website, but wouldn't anyone allowed to manufactur a USAF hat be doing it to a licensed spec?

I have personally found some differences in hats, notably the amount of hat exposed above the CAP insignia (I pulled the top pins on mine because they showed), but never noticed who made which hat.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 23, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
I don't wear one because with my head shape, I look like a giant tool bag in it.goofy, IMO.

At least we don't have these:

It's a wonder our Russian friends don't get an ache in the neck from having to balance that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Chappie

I own one and wear it only on formal outdoor occassions (Memorial services, participating in the Memorial Day/Veterans Day observances, etc.).  The rest of the time it sits in a box in the closet.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

medicmike

The Flight Cap is easier to wear with the blues for meetings and such.  The Service Cap does look better with the dress blues.
Michael Bridge          USAF Retired
2d Lt CAP
Health Services Officer
GLR-OH-003

lordmonar

Quote from: Pylon on January 23, 2012, 12:33:56 AM
Plus there's the inherited culture from the Air Force.  The Air Force rarely, rarely wears the service cap with blues (with the exception of Honor Guard-type things where it's the prescribed headgear).
They are not issued at basic training anymore....and only Majors and above are REQUIRED to have them.
So....yes....it is only going to be a one in a while here and there uniform item.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAPsteve

I always wear my Service Cap when wearing class "A", "B', or "C" uniform.  I think is is more "dress'er" than the flight cap.

I myself, also think I look better in the service Cap. My head is to "square" for a flight cap.

davidsinn

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 06:45:41 AM
  I always wear my Service Cap when wearing class "A", "B', or "C" uniform.  I think is is more "dress'er" than the flight cap.

I myself, also think I look better in the service Cap. My head is to "square" for a flight cap.

WTH is class C?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2012, 06:49:54 AM
Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 06:45:41 AM

WTH is class C?
I was told it was short sleeve blues w/ ribbons
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

You've been told wrong.

There's no such thing as Class A, B, or C uniforms in CAP. This has not been official terminology since before I joined CAP in 1964. It's left over from the Army Air Corps days, and has been passed down over the years by misguided members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on February 10, 2012, 07:32:21 AM
You've been told wrong.

There's no such thing as Class A, B, or C uniforms in CAP. This has not been official terminology since before I joined CAP in 1964. It's left over from the Army Air Corps days, and has been passed down over the years by misguided members.

The USAF has resurrected Class A and B so I don't give people crap about those two anymore.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

But it's still not in the CAP lexicon. We can sit here and pick everything else apart, but now it's OK to use incorrect terminology to confuse the general membership? I guess I just don't get it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dad2-4

We were issued service caps in Basic in 1985, and we were required to stand inspection with them in full blues during PME. Anyone who had lost theirs since Basic had to buy, borrow, or beg one. That was the only time I wore it since I was a Security Policeman.
Like some others have said, I might get one after I make Major, but they are indeed pricey.

CAPsteve

Sardragon,
you may been in CAP since 1964, but, in the "real Military" There is still a Class "A"-"C".    In the new AF uniform of today, if you took the ribbons off the uniform, people would expect you to open their car door for them or drive a bus.
  The AF uniform has become so civilian looking in this day and time because CP has entered the upper AF COC who does not want the AF to look or act Military.

I just retired in 2009 as a 1Sgt. with 25 years of service and there is still Class A,B,and C's in the Military.  Also, I was a CAP Cadet in the 1950s-1960s. I was asked to train and prepare our Cadets for Military Service and that is what I am doing.  The Military does not use "CAP civilain terms".  To keep them out of trouble when they enlist, they will know the correct terms to use and they wan't end up "cry babies" or "wimps".

I take it you are one of those Officer types who has never been in the Military, but likes to put on a uniform and pretend you are Military.

If you have a problem with that; that is YOUR problem!

jeders

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 04:14:39 PM
Sardragon,

I take it you are one of those Officer types who has never been in the Military, but likes to put on a uniform and pretend you are Military.

*Runs for cover*
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Carrales

This is somewhat uncalled for.  While I don't fully discount the idea of uniform "Classes" as a shorthand...I cannot condone people making ad hominem attacks.  What would it really matter if he were the lowest private in the Army, Highest Admiral in the Navy or a Civilian?  It would not change the meaning of his words at all.  Attacking the person is not any way to win a debate.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

GTCommando

QuoteSardragon,
you may been in CAP since 1964, but, in the "real Military" There is still a Class "A"-"C".    In the new AF uniform of today, if you took the ribbons off the uniform, people would expect you to open their car door for them or drive a bus.
  The AF uniform has become so civilian looking in this day and time because CP has entered the upper AF COC who does not want the AF to look or act Military.

I just retired in 2009 as a 1Sgt. with 25 years of service and there is still Class A,B,and C's in the Military.  Also, I was a CAP Cadet in the 1950s-1960s. I was asked to train and prepare our Cadets for Military Service and that is what I am doing.  The Military does not use "CAP civilain terms".  To keep them out of trouble when they enlist, they will know the correct terms to use and they wan't end up "cry babies" or "wimps".

^ With respect, I'll have to take SarDragon's side on this. I can't believe I'm saying it, but we are not the Real Military(TM), and as such their uniform protocol does not automatically apply to us, for better or for worse. There are no Class A's, B's or C's in CAP, plain and simple. If you'll look in CAPM 39-1, our uniforms are defined as Service Dress, Short Sleeve Dress Uniform, etc. but no 'Classes.'

Also, let's try to keep discussions focused on the issues at hand, and not direct attacks toward people. Let's remember our Core Value of Respect. Take a look at SarDragon's signature. There's no pretending about it. Again, let's try to keep this conversation respectful and professional.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: GTCommando on February 10, 2012, 04:39:02 PM
QuoteSardragon,

^ With respect, I'll have to take SarDragon's side on this. I can't believe I'm saying it, but we are not the Real Military(TM), and as such their uniform protocol does not automatically apply to us, for better or for worse. There are no Class A's, B's or C's in CAP, plain and simple. If you'll look in CAPM 39-1, our uniforms are defined as Service Dress, Short Sleeve Dress Uniform, etc. but no 'Classes.'

Also, let's try to keep discussions focused on the issues at hand, and not direct attacks toward people. Let's remember our Core Value of Respect. Take a look at SarDragon's signature. There's no pretending about it. Again, let's try to keep this conversation respectful and professional.
+1

I just realized "Real Military" = RM  >:D >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Sardragon,

OK, there is just so much wrong with this post that I can't help responding.

1) As has been said before, we are not the "real military". We are an auxiliary. What the "Real Military" does is of little consequence to us except as detailed in the AFIs and AFMANs which deal with CAP (or that CAP references).

2) The purpose of the cadet program is not to prepare them for military service. The purpose is to allow members 12-21 to have hands-on leadership learning opportunities. While many of our cadets may go on to enlist, that is not the stated purpose of the program.

3) Do you really think that knowing what a "Class C" uniform is will prevent them from being "cry babies" and "wimps" if they hypothetically choose to enlist? Last I heard BMT does an excellent job of teaching them correct terminology - your focus should be building the character and leadership skills that they will need in the Real WorldTM, regardless of whether they go into military service or not.

4) If you look at SarDragon's signature, you will see that he is retired Navy. Your shot below-the-belt was totally uncalled for.

5) Your prior service does not make you the "God of Cadet Programs". I have heard this more than once and it disgusts me every time I hear it. If you're not willing to learn the CAP Cadet Program and administer it as written, you might want to consider a different role.

SarDragon

Sardragon,

Well, I think the other responses just about covered everything, but I'll add my two cents, too.

As my signature clearly states, I am retired military. Before and after my AD period of 21 years, I was and am a dependent, so I've had some sort of association with the military my entire life. Your "take" is entirely incorrect.

The trouble with using the Class nomenclature is two-fold. First - it's not official. It is, in the CAP world, a leftover from the '40s, and maybe '50s. Second - it is unevenly used. Some units use it; others don't. When a cadet from the second group encounters someone from the first group, confusion ensues. This is, IMHO, not good.

Also, while we're talking about the Real Military, it consists of five branches - Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard (sort of, but we'll include them for this discussion). Two of the three seagoing services (USN & USCG) do not use letter designators, so your statement - in the "real Military" There is still a Class "A"-"C" - is incorrect, unless you don't consider the Navy and Coast Guard as part of the military.

Regarding your having been a cadet, I only have to say that today's cadet program is not the same as it was back then. I joined during the transition period, and have watched the changes ever since. I think you need to embrace those changes a little bit better, and move into the 21st century.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

68w20

It seems like this discussion on uniform "classes" is unnecessary.  As a Cadet I often had run-ins with individuals who referred to uniforms by "class".  For example, I was once contacted by the SM POC for a recruiting event at an airshow with instructions to show up wearing my Class B's.  I had never been exposed to the concept before, and as a result had no idea what he meant by Class B.  That doesn't mean that I had an enormous existential crisis because of the misunderstanding.  Instead, I politely asked him what exactly he meant by Class B, apologizing for my ignorance on the subject.  He told me what he meant and I showed up in the right uniform, the end.

Proper education on CAP "lingo" and shorthand are essential to helping our new members to understand how the program runs.  That being said, just because someone's a brand new C/AB or SMWOG doesn't mean that they're incapable of asking for clarification on what's really not that big of a deal.

lordmonar

Is it really that big of a deal?

Sure it is not offical....but we use a lot of non-offical terminology.

It is not worth getting our shorts into a bind over it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

68w20

Quote from: lordmonar on February 10, 2012, 08:51:56 PM

+1.  IMHO the "confusion" that SarDragon brought up is very short-lived and can easily be solved through effective follow-up communication.

arajca

Quote from: 68w10 on February 10, 2012, 08:55:48 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 10, 2012, 08:51:56 PM

+1.  IMHO the "confusion" that SarDragon brought up is very short-lived and can easily be solved through effective follow-up communication.
-1 It can be avoided altogether by using the proper terminology.

Ned

Quote from: arajca on February 10, 2012, 09:12:23 PM
-1 It can be avoided altogether by using the proper terminology.

Of course.  And thank you for pointing that out.

I must assume that you have never - even once - used  terms like "Sarge", "First Shirt", "Pass in Review", "chow hall", "bird colonel", "Zooomie", "Brown water navy", "butterbar", "cadink", "summer camp", "doolie", "GI party", "Gunny", "jody", "KP", "Lima Charlie", "L-T", "the old man", "oh dark thirty", "bag", "gut bomb", etc.

Otherwise folks might think you were a but hypocritical.

Major Lord

Its nice to know, yes, even comforting in a way, that I can go off the computer for a couple of days, and come back to the same ol' BS about uniform stuff. Is there anyone on the board who does not know what is meant by a "Class A" uniform? Crikey! Such a simple naming system would be too easy for CAP, we like to do the kind of thing like renaming "dishwashers" , "Utensil Detoxification Technicians( lower half) " for the sake of "clarity". Have you heard any RM people scream at CAP for calling the Colors "flags"? How about cutting a little slack?

Major Lord
"Pass in review?" Ohhhh, I thought they were saying "piss in your shoe" Your way makes much more sense!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Lord on February 10, 2012, 11:30:49 PM
Its nice to know, yes, even comforting in a way, that I can go off the computer for a couple of days, and come back to the same ol' BS about uniform stuff. Is there anyone on the board who does not know what is meant by a "Class A" uniform? Crikey! Such a simple naming system would be too easy for CAP, we like to do the kind of thing like renaming "dishwashers" , "Utensil Detoxification Technicians( lower half) " for the sake of "clarity". Have you heard any RM people scream at CAP for calling the Colors "flags"? How about cutting a little slack?

Major Lord
"Pass in review?" Ohhhh, I thought they were saying "piss in your shoe" Your way makes much more sense!

This isn't just about this board. It's about the general membership. There are units out there, even in your wing, that do not use that naming system. When an outsider comes in to one of these units, and talks about a Class A uniform, there is usually a moment of awkward silence (huh?) when no one knows what's going on. After a brief clarification, there is the inevitable question, "Where's that in the regs?" And on it goes.

Until this is completely and officially endorsed, or strongly discouraged, that situation will continue, with no benefit at all to the organization.

Regarding Ned's comment, I think there's a big difference between common slang, and terminology we are/are not teaching our new members about an important aspect of our organization. We preach attention to detail in any number of ways in our day to day goings on, but this detail gets short shrift.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Okay CAPSteve, what is a "Class C" uniform in the Air Force? There is no reference to it in AFI 36-2903. Please provide a cite.

And before you shoot your mouth off, I retired from the Air Force Reserve as an E7 with 31-1/2 years of service.

Sgt. Fischer

Aren't service caps only for honor guard?

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on February 11, 2012, 08:26:01 PM

No. Cadet officers can wear them if approved by wing. All senior members may wear them.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 11, 2012, 08:30:14 PM

No. Cadet officers can wear them if approved by wing. All senior members may wear them.

Cool! I didn't' know that!

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on February 11, 2012, 08:31:36 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on February 11, 2012, 08:30:14 PM

Cool! I didn't' know that!

Think of it as an incentive to promote.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Has a bunch of my great friends would say on Facebook "Hai guyz, WTH, this is not what I was talking about!?!".
Off topic much?

Anyways, to the OP, as I said before, it is a mobility nightmare, it costs alot to get a decent one, and it doesn't always seem correct to wear when all of the peopleyou are with are C/CMSgt or below.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 04:14:39 PMI take it you are one of those Officer types who has never been in the Military, but likes to put on a uniform and pretend you are Military.
I know, it's been hammered already .. but ... right there in the .sig ...
QuoteDave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: Dad2-4 on February 10, 2012, 11:05:15 AM
We were issued service caps in Basic in 1985, and we were required to stand inspection with them in full blues during PME. Anyone who had lost theirs since Basic had to buy, borrow, or beg one. That was the only time I wore it since I was a Security Policeman.
Like some others have said, I might get one after I make Major, but they are indeed pricey.

Well this is probably dating myself but when I started out in the Air Force, we were Air Police.  When I got to my first base (I was direct duty assigned) I cut my service cover apart except for the sweat band and bill.  I replaced it with a nice white cover, placed a stiff rubber groumet in it and made one of the coolest saddles you ever saw.  Spit shined the bill and made sure the cover was the purest white possible.  I never did like that barret.  Had no bill to shade your eyes and it was hot!  You know what, after 22 years with the AF (6 years active and 16 active reserve) I still don't know what the dang number used for the combination is.  I think it's too petty to worry about.  I just tell the cadets to wear their short sleeve or long sleeve blues, with or without blouse.  (That's probably another term that will upset you...sigh)

AngelWings

Quote from: Grumpy on February 13, 2012, 08:55:55 AM
Quote from: Dad2-4 on February 10, 2012, 11:05:15 AM

Well this is probably dating myself but when I started out in the Air Force, we were Air Police.  When I got to my first base (I was direct duty assigned) I cut my service cover apart except for the sweat band and bill.  I replaced it with a nice white cover, placed a stiff rubber groumet in it and made one of the coolest saddles you ever saw.  Spit shined the bill and made sure the cover was the purest white possible.  I never did like that barret.  Had no bill to shade your eyes and it was hot!  You know what, after 22 years with the AF (6 years active and 16 active reserve) I still don't know what the dang number used for the combination is.  I think it's too petty to worry about.  I just tell the cadets to wear their short sleeve or long sleeve blues, with or without blouse.  (That's probably another term that will upset you...sigh)
Me too. It is way too high powered to actually be useful for half of the things I need to shoot at. ;D Don't worry, I am just messing around.

I think I'd probably use the service cap for an ornament rather than for a uniform item. It seems too pretty and fragile to be exposed to any real usage.

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on February 13, 2012, 11:11:00 PMI think I'd probably use the service cap for an ornament rather than for a uniform item. It seems too pretty and fragile to be exposed to any real usage.

Nah.

I had one a while back, and it was sturdy enough to withstand my abuse. Just needed to pay a little attention to the brim once in a while.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Good headwear for the G/W...since it's considered a replica now, it's civilian. 8)

Replace the eagle with an old CAP badge, flight cadet badge or no badge at all.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

^^
Isn't it pretty!!??  ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on February 13, 2012, 11:52:58 PM

I hate to say it, CyBorg, but I'm willing to bet there's too much crush in that cap for the powers that be to accept it. Too bad though, because it is one awesome piece of headwear.
No longer active on CAP talk

ThatOneGuy

I wear a service cap, and have since I became a Cadet Officer. It is rather annoying to carry all day, I will certainly say that. In CO, it is more functional than the flight cap (IMHO) because it has a brim and can protect you at least a little bit from the rain and snow, especially with the rain cover on :D. I prefer the look of it to the flight cap myself, and think that I look better in the service cap than the flight cap. Wearing it, I have a little "chart" I use to determine when I do:

Service Dress: Service Cap
SS/LS Blues w/tie: Service or Flight Cap, depending on weather and if I'm outside or inside for the duration
SS/LS Blues without tie: Flight Cap

Each to his own of course.

Abby.L

Quote from: superLt1995 on March 08, 2012, 06:07:29 PM
I wear a service cap, and have since I became a Cadet Officer. It is rather annoying to carry all day, I will certainly say that. In CO, it is more functional than the flight cap (IMHO) because it has a brim and can protect you at least a little bit from the rain and snow, especially with the rain cover on :D. I prefer the look of it to the flight cap myself, and think that I look better in the service cap than the flight cap. Wearing it, I have a little "chart" I use to determine when I do:

Service Dress: Service Cap
SS/LS Blues w/tie: Service or Flight Cap, depending on weather and if I'm outside or inside for the duration
SS/LS Blues without tie: Flight Cap

Each to his own of course.
Er, Charles. Long Sleeve Blues Shirt without tie isn't per regs. :P But yes, I do like my service cap. Only worn it twice...
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

ThatOneGuy

I just noticed that Lt. My bad.  :-[