Main Menu

Service Cap

Started by cadetesman, January 22, 2012, 11:49:17 PM

cadetesman

Why do so few members wear the service cap?

I've seen cadet officers, and officers, and I've only seen one wear a service cap, with the rest wearing a flight cap.

Why is this?

RogueLeader

Flight cap is a whole lot easier to manage. I have a service cap for the special occasion.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Depends on Wg authorizing it and having them.  I wore one in AFJROTC and CAP till I returned stateside, and then I think I only wore it once, once I transferred.  I prefer the look over the flight cap, but that's just me.

GTCommando

IMO, there's two reasons:

1.  Expense: Unless you find a killer deal, for the average Cadet Officer it's just too much for an optional uniform item that you wear 2-3 times a month max.

2.  Practicality: Considering most activities that warrant blues take place indoors, a flight cap is much more practical. With a flight cap, you tuck it into your belt and don't have to worry about it until you go back out. With a service cap, you either have to lay it down somewhere, or carry it with you everywhere.

In short, unless it's a (very) special occasion, or I'll be spending a good amount of time outdoors, I'll grab the flight cap every time.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

AlphaSigOU

A service cap can be awkward to carry, especially indoors, and few places actually have dedicated hat racks. Many who have the service cap (including myself) only wear it with the service dress uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Lord of the North

As far as cadets are concerned.  The Wing Commander has to authorize them to wear the service cap.

abdsp51

Quote from: Lord of the North on January 23, 2012, 12:04:21 AM
As far as cadets are concerned.  The Wing Commander has to authorize them to wear the service cap.

That's what I meant.  And the cost is a huge factor Mine was if I recall 50-60 I believe.

Pylon

Plus there's the inherited culture from the Air Force.  The Air Force rarely, rarely wears the service cap with blues (with the exception of Honor Guard-type things where it's the prescribed headgear).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

It's now in 36-2903 that all Maj and above will have them.  And I would have to look but I believe it's optional with blues combo.

AlphaSigOU

Difference in price at the MCSS is about $10-15 between the enlisted/company grade officer service cap (plain bill) and the field grade service cap (with the 'farts and darts'). Where available, the general officer service cap runs about $75. (Of course... prices my vary.)

In the USAF, majors and above are required to own a service cap, per AFI 36-2903.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pylon

They may be required to possess one, but you still don't see many USAF officers wearing them.

abdsp51

I'll give ya that.  But I'll take a service cap any day around here a heck of alot harder for the wind to take it off your head.

Eclipse

Better in the rain, too (with a cover).

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

When I was a Captain, mine was stolen from the POW table at a banquet. ( Yes, you will go to hell for doing this!) I have not felt the overwhelming urge to go buy the 2.0 version for Majors yet, but maybe someday.....I wear Blues pretty rarely anyway. The large doses of steroids I take have pushed me over my personal tolerance level for how much "shoehorn" I need to get into my Uniform anyway.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

abdsp51

I sold mine many many years ago.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I had one but I sold it.

When I (hopefully) promote to Major in June, I may get one with farts and darts on it...or I may not.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

It is definately an attractive hat, but you need the designer shades to go with it otherwise you only have a quarter of the kewl factor to go with it. In all seriousness, price, mobility, and uniformity probably play big factors in it. I am not a cadet officer, but I wouldn't want to dish out a lot of money for some hat I would wear less than once a month, I would only wear it if all the other officers had one, if I were not with other cadet officers, on goes the flight cap, and if it is a hassle to find a place to put it, I would also need a girlfriend to put it on.

jimmydeanno

I don't wear one because with my head shape, I look like a giant tool bag in it.  The Army version looks good on my head, but the saucer on top of the AF style is too wide and looks goofy, IMO.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 23, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
The Army version looks good on my head, but the saucer on top of the AF style is too wide and looks goofy, IMO.

Consider a less-common Kingform brand cap ( http://www.kingformcap.com/afmenscaps.html ) which seem to have a noticeably smaller "saucer" up top, rather than the standard Bernard Co. caps which do indeed have a very wide and large saucer ( http://bernardcap.com/airforce.htm ).

Eclipse

It's kinda hard to tell from the angles on their website, but wouldn't anyone allowed to manufactur a USAF hat be doing it to a licensed spec?

I have personally found some differences in hats, notably the amount of hat exposed above the CAP insignia (I pulled the top pins on mine because they showed), but never noticed who made which hat.

"That Others May Zoom"