CAP / Boy Scout volunteer time

Started by Dutchboy, March 24, 2011, 01:20:16 AM

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on March 25, 2011, 07:41:06 PM
Where is it not?   As we've discussed, absent a national standard of acceptability, it is the subjective decision
of the approving CC as to what qualifies.

Some of you have said that court-mandated service would not get a ribbon?  Who decided that?

Just as some wings hand out Comm Comms and UC's like they were candy, so is this up to the person signing the 2a.

Absolutely Right...I have now made it a prerequisite that all awards must be consulted and arranged in advance including Awards for Valor because I want to make sure the member doesn't get credit for it somewhere else and that they haven't violate any Safety or ORM rules...because the reg doesn't say anything about me adding conditions

RiverAux

Seems to me that this is one of the awards with the clearest and easiest criteria that CAP has.  I would certainly approve just about anything so long as it was properly certified. 

That being said, I don't think we need this particular ribbon, but were just aping the AF.

arBar

I think its totally appropriate to recognize community service outside CAP, even if it is service already recognized by another organization.  We all serve without pay, and the closest thing we get to a paycheck are the various certificates, ribbons, and medals that recognize our efforts.  Why take that away from a cadet?  Let him fill that chest with all the bling he can earn. 

I think its a similar principle as allowing ribbons on the CAP uniform for service in the military (not that scouting is military, just that the military, like scouting, is not CAP).

Also, CAP doesn't allow the Eagle medal to be worn on the CAP uniform.  If it did, then I would say that both shouldn't be worn.  Just my .02

--Eagle, class of 89