Is there a reg requiring all leather boots on flight crew

Started by tebert, May 18, 2010, 01:40:08 AM

tebert

I recently joined as a Senior Member and bought the cloth upper jungle boots.  I am working towards being scanner qualified and was told I need all leather jump boots.  Is this a requirement or just a recommendation?  I don't want to have to purchase a second set of boots right now if I don't have too.

MIKE

It varies by wing and region, you would have to check the supplements to CAPM 39-1 for your area. 
Mike Johnston

Mustang

The Air Force doesn't require all-leather boots for flight crews anymore, there's no reason why CAP should, either.

These are the current USAF-issue flight boots below. The sides are plain ol' Cordura nylon, not Nomex, Kevlar or some other fireproof material:

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

MIKE

They're also $150 bucks.

Interestingly, Belleville still hasn't updated their USCG approved line with non-metallic safety-toe version to comply with the latest reg.
Mike Johnston

Mustang

Quote from: MIKE on May 18, 2010, 02:28:21 AM
They're also $150 bucks.
The point was that you don't need all-leather; it doesn't mean you need to buy these specific boots.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

MSgt Van

Interesting, considering I prefer the pedal feel while wearing my black leather sneakers to how the plane "feels" when wearing any of my issue boots.

SilverEagle2

I wear the Belleville boots and I wish I could wear them all the time. Very comfortable and great design.

You get what you pay for with these.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Al Sayre

I personally wear Ropers (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-roper-boots.aspx?a=614059 ) with anything other than BDU's.  Comfortable and only $50.00

Here's a link for Duty boots & shoes that will save you some bucks:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/mens-footwear-duty.aspx?c=11&s=370&ipp=48&ra=false

Lots of styles & Mfgs to choose from.  I've had really good luck with buying from this vendor.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

AlphaSigOU

There is no reg other than specifying black boots with flight suits in CAPM 39-1. Below is a description of what is considered a flight boot, from my unofficial guide to wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform:

QuoteWHAT IS CONSIDERED A 'FLIGHT BOOT'?

To be considered a flight boot, boots must be made of all-leather uppers that come above the ankles (the higher the better) and must be constructed so that metal parts, such as shoestring eyes or zippers, do not contact the wearer's skin. Non-leather boots must be flight approved in accordance with U.S. military standards for aviation use.

Attached is my unofficial CAP uniform wear guide for flight suits/utility uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

vento

To answer the OP's question. There was a 39-1 supplement from CAWG requiring air crews to wear all leather boots. However, it is no longer required in the most recent supplement.

I wear the Navy Flight Deck boot from Wellco. it's made of leather and NOMEX. It helps with ventilation in the hot California summer.  :)
http://www.wellco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=49

a2capt

Was it the CAWG supplement, and of 39-1, or was it a PCR 60-1 supplement? The same one that had the 60 HP rule in it.

Seems to me, the latter. In any case, there is no more mention of it. The thing to me, was always kind of ludicrous because you could fly in the polo/gray uniform too, and the more common, original golf shirt they used to sell in the CAPMart days and prior will stick to you the same way Under Armor and similar items will.. so..

So it seemed to worked it's way into being the type of flight release that it was, when it mattered.

Personally, I wish supplements were for things like procedures, and niche item concerns, but that changes of the other nature were pushed all the way up to, and then came back down from the top.

If all leather boots, or equiv. are the "smart thing" to do,  then I gotta say that geographic location be darned, a crash is a crash.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

a2capt

Yeah, I know, just adding to the subordinate supplement context, thats been suggested to check as it's not a National thing.

Who knows, maybe it will be. With a long sunset date 'cause I can just hear the howling. I just bought these!!

vento

Quote from: MIKE on May 18, 2010, 07:07:55 PM
The OP is from GAWG tho, so...
Oooops, GAWG vs. CAWG, I need to get a new pair of glasses or a new magnifying glass  :-[

Quote from: a2capt on May 18, 2010, 07:16:23 PM
Yeah, I know, just adding to the subordinate supplement context, thats been suggested to check as it's not a National thing.

Who knows, maybe it will be. With a long sunset date 'cause I can just hear the howling. I just bought these!!

Agreed. And you are correct, 60-1 supp.

lordmonar

For the most part it is corporate knowledge.

A lot of places will tell you"so and so is required" simply because that is what they were told and no one has bother to back check it.

In NVWG they will tell you that you have to have a full set of Gridded Sectionals before they will sign off your MS Familurisation Training....but gridding sectionals is not even an MS task.

But it is just the way it has always been done...so the myth continues.

There are currently no PCR or NVWG supplements to 60-1 or 39-1 that mandate flight wear.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyboy53

What myth?

It's a safety issue. When you fly, you're supposed to be outfitted according to the weather and terrain if you get forced down. Do you really want to be wearing sneakers or low quarters and a polo shirt if you have to trek down the side of a mountain or traverse some wilderness area...especially in winter?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2010, 03:24:37 AM
^ Not every wing has mountains, or winter.

But every wing has its share of inhospitable terrain and geography. Every single one of them. I can't think of a single place where sneakers or low quarters would be better than the recommended boots.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Quote from: flyboy1 on May 21, 2010, 03:15:49 AM
What myth?
That it is required by regulations.  Is it a good idea?  Maybe.  Do you ALWAYS fly wearing boots in all types of GA aircraft?

As long as you stay away from CFIs, Comm, and ATP pilots in CAP, you should be plenty safe.  Oh, also make sure you perform searches at 1,000' and NEVER bust 500' unless you are in the pattern.  Then you will be really safe.  All the people killed in CAP aircraft over the past 10 years failed to follow those rules.  The type of footwear they had on would have made no difference to the results.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Grumpy

Capt Rivera

Chuck,

I noticed your disclaimer.

Do I have your permission to:

Redistribute your original work to my squadron?
Upload said work to our website (when it's up)?

The file would stay "as is" in both situations...

Also wondering... is it up to date? I did not notice a "last updated" stamp on it. (Not that I have a clue when the last affecting changes were made)

Thanks.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Captain Rivera on May 22, 2010, 12:57:34 PM
Chuck,

I noticed your disclaimer.

Do I have your permission to:

Redistribute your original work to my squadron?
Upload said work to our website (when it's up)?

The file would stay "as is" in both situations...

Also wondering... is it up to date? I did not notice a "last updated" stamp on it. (Not that I have a clue when the last affecting changes were made)

Thanks.

Squadrons, groups and wings are free to distribute the unofficial uniform guide and upload it to their websites, as long as the disclaimer is left intact. I don't think they've monkeyed around with any more changes to the flight suit/utility uniform so it should be up to date.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 18, 2010, 05:11:54 PM
There is no reg other than specifying black boots with flight suits in CAPM 39-1. Below is a description of what is considered a flight boot, from my unofficial guide to wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform:

To be considered a flight boot, boots must be made of all-leather uppers that come above the ankles (the higher the better) and must be constructed so that metal parts, such as shoestring eyes or zippers, do not contact the wearer's skin. Non-leather boots must be flight approved in accordance with U.S. military standards for aviation use.

Attached is my unofficial CAP uniform wear guide for flight suits/utility uniform.
So, why does your unofficial guide make up its own guidance on this issue? 

MSgt Van

CAPM 39-1, Table 2-4, and table 4-5, item 3 regarding footwear while wearing both styles of flightsuits:
"Footwear Any style leather, plain, black shoe or boot may be worn. No western
style boots (Ropers and Wellingtons are acceptable). For safety reasons,
mesh style boots are not recommended with flying clothing."

Doesn't look like I need a flight boot to me.

DNall

Recommended, but not required is what the book says. Less of an issue than not wearing a serviceable nomex flight suit IMO. I realize this is GA aircraft, but we do slightly more dangerous things in them. Plus, we can't regulate that everyone in the country wear nomex in every kind of airplane, car, etc. We do have something to say about CAP aircrews.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RiverAux on May 22, 2010, 11:18:45 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 18, 2010, 05:11:54 PM

So, why does your unofficial guide make up its own guidance on this issue?

As I mentioned before, it is an UNOFFICIAL wear guide. If I remember correctly, it is from the U.S. Forest Service's guide for flight clothing. It just explains the 'why' ('cause someone will wind up asking 'why do they have to wear this or that'). As my disclaimer explains in the cover, it does not replace official regulations and guidance.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Thrashed

I made it over 13,000 hours without wearing boots.  I'm not starting now.  :D

I also fly over the North pole and Himalayas in low quarter shoes and a short sleeve shirt. Never had a problem.  ;) I know, not single engine. 

Save the triangle thingy