USAF Distance Learning courses

Started by Holding Pattern, December 02, 2019, 06:59:24 AM

Stonewall

The Distance Learning NCOA and SNCOA aren't easy. A lot of Air National Guard TSgt's and MSgt's do not pass these tests on the first, second, or even the third try. Very few NCOs in the Air National Guard are afforded the opportunity to attend the in-residence PME courses, so they're stuck having to do the DL option.  I have a First Sergeant who holds a Masters Degree, is a State Trooper, and top notch SNCO, but has yet to pass her SNCOA course and required a letter from the Commander to re-enroll.

My wife, now a SMSgt, NEVER fails tests, and had to take one of the SNCOA tests twice to pass. She is well educated and former teacher, and in my opinion, a professional test taker, and still didn't get it first try.

So, to those who enroll in NCOA and SNCOA, don't expect an easy ride.

Also, on the CAP NCO program. When the topic comes up I often hear "well, NCOs get stuff done, that's what we're good at."  Hmmm, so I guess when a CAP officer gets things done, it's different? I have never been in a unit with a CAP NCO, and I've actually only seen fewer than 10 in person. I really don't have a clue as to how the people in that status offer anything different to the program.  If you're, let's say, a SMSgt in the Air Force and a Lt Col in CAP, how is that person's contributions any different from if they were a SMSgt in CAP?  Right.
Serving since 1987.

Angus

As others have stated it's not hard to signup.  Once approved it took a bit till I had access for Air Command and Staff College, but now that I'm in it's not too hard.  The only hard part now (aside from version 6 in the sunset stages) is that to enroll I have to email their help desk which sometimes can take a bit to hear back on.  But so far it's been an interesting program I'm looking forward to finishing it up by May or June. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030