Main Menu

Commo Gear, Whats HOT ?

Started by abysmal, March 26, 2005, 06:55:24 PM

abysmal

Since I have been WAY out of the loop for the last 20 years....

What the hot set up in commo gear these days.

Need to get a good unit for my Bronco, as well as a good hand held.

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

MIKE

You'll be spending more than what you would have had to 5 years ago... CAP is getting away from using radios available publicly to HAM operators and moving toward commercial radios which meet the established NTIA standards and cost significantly more money.... The hand held I bought 5 or so years ago for $150 or so is no longer compliant, and it will cost me at least $400 for a compliant replacement.

If you are gonna spend the money make sure your radio meets current and future standards... I held off buying a VX 150 for precisely this reason.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on March 26, 2005, 09:36:15 PM
If you are gonna spend the money make sure your radio meets current and future standards... I held off buying a VX 150 for precisely this reason.

So, that said, What is the HOT setup that will meet all current and future requirements.
Even "Way Back When" I never went cheap.
Quality always pays for itself over time.

arajca

I currently use an Icon F50 handheld. Good little radio, 128 channels, NTIA compliant, wide AND narrow band programmable per channel.

Cost $350 + programming software and cable.

If you want to get fancy, the EF Johnson P-25 radios national is buying cost around $2000.00. I haven't used one or done much checking on them. I saw the cost - NEXT!

pixelwonk

Pretty much anything that is both wideband and narrowband compliant will serve you well, as it's most likely commercial gear.  Although some of the brands like Tait, which I've never even heard of before I'm still a bit wary of.  I guess I'm privy to the brands that I've got ham equipment in, like Yaesu and Kenwood.

I bought the Vertex 150 the year it came out and it's still going strong.  Being that the end is drawing near, I'm looking to obtain a new mobile, myself and will probably go with either Vertex or Icom.

WX9AUX/Bluemound 1551

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 27, 2005, 01:21:12 AM
I currently use an Icon F50 handheld. Good little radio, 128 channels, NTIA compliant, wide AND narrow band programmable per channel.

Cost $350 + programming software and cable.

If you want to get fancy, the EF Johnson P-25 radios national is buying cost around $2000.00. I haven't used one or done much checking on them. I saw the cost - NEXT!

For $2,000 this thing had better have high speed burst encryption.
Thats quite a bit of change to spend on a portable.

abysmal

Is this the unit ?

5100 Series 
The 5100 Series multi-protocol portable radio is a high tiered, high specification computer with a portable radio module. Designed for Public Safety User by Public Safety Users to meet the changing needs of Federal, State and Local Government users, as well as industrial and public service applications. With forward, backward and multiple protocol compatibility, the 5100 portable radio allows communications on Project 25 Trunking and Conventional radio systems, SMARTNET II and SmartZone Trunked radio systems, Multi-Net trunking systems, and conventional analog radio communication systems.

APCO Project 25 Compatible – Trunked and Conventional
SMARTNET™ and SmartZone®
Multi-Net®
Analog/Digital Radio

The industry's only interoperable portable combines an RF module with a high-performance computer processor offering the end user a multi-protocol portable. EFJohnson designed this innovative portable by asking radio users what they wanted in performance, usage, and features. The result is strong lightweight magnesium casting with ergonomic polycarbonate housing. Whether you need a radio to perform on a single protocol system or part of many systems with different protocols, the 5100 is your solution. Simple ramp switch selection allows you to change from one system protocol to another. Available in VHF, UHF, and 800 bands, the 5100 serves the federal, state and local government users as well as industrial and public service customers. Finally, the 5100 is sophisticated enough to allow transitioning from analog to digital and vice versa.

Multiple Protocol Compatibility:

– Project 25 CAI (Common Air Interface) allows users the capability of communicating with other Project 25 compatible radio equipment. The 5100 supports Project 25 trunked and conventional communications, as well as Motorola Astro trunking.
– SMARTNET™ II and SmartZone® Trunking Protocols are supported on the Series 5100 portable.
– Multi-Net® Trunked communications is supported on the Series 5100 portable.

Intrinsically safe
Multiple System Select is an advanced feature that allows the user to simply change the protocol of the communications from analog to digital with the pressing of a button. The 5100 also allows up to 500 channel/talkgroups, depending upon memory available and programming configuration.
Encrypted Communications allow Project 25 DES-OFB level secure voice communications.
Backwards Compatibility provides the flexibility to communicate in both narrow and wideband analog channels, in addition narrowband digital.
Forwards Compatibility is provided through the flash upgradable design that will allow new features and applications in the existing radio platform.
Alphanumeric Display provides a large, LCD backlit visual display of the radio's channel, talkgroup, or other pertinent information.
DTMF Compatibility allows the user to operate remote control devices or access telephone interconnect systems.
Ergonomically-Designed Rotary Knobs allow easy access and to easily distinguish the talkgroup/channel knob from the volume knob.
Keypad provides users with the ability to call individual radios, groups or fleets.

abysmal

Quote from: tedda on March 27, 2005, 02:39:07 AM
I bought the Vertex 150 the year it came out and it's still going strong.  Being that the end is drawing near, I'm looking to obtain a new mobile, myself and will probably go with either Vertex or Icom.

WX9AUX/Bluemound 1551

My last unit was an ICOM as well.
But a quick glance at technology shows things have come a LONGS ways since then.

abysmal

Quote from: tedda on March 27, 2005, 02:39:07 AM
Pretty much anything that is both wideband and narrowband compliant will serve you well, as it's most likely commercial gear. 

Found this link that helps a bit..
https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/nb_summary.cfm

abysmal

Hard to find a price for these on the net..
I got these as Contract prices for the State of South Carolina.
http://www.state.sc.us/oir/rates/docs/efjohnson5100.xls

These things are SERIOUSLY Pricey.
how is CAP going to afford fielding these in any usable quantities???

DESCRIPTION:
EFJOHNSON 5100 SERIES PORTABLE

P25 DIGITAL AND ANALOG: SMARTZONE AND SMARTNET   

EF JOHNSON 5182 PORTABLE, WITH LIMITED KEYPAD, FRONT MOUNT DISPLAY, 3 WATT, 800MHZ,  WHIP ANTENNA, EXTRA HIGH CAPACITY NiMH BATTERY, BLACK HOUSING, MOTOROLA SMARTNET AND SMARTZONE TRUNKING, CONVENTIONAL,  PROJECT 25 DIGITAL COMMON AIR INTERFACE (CAI), 256 TALKGROUPS.   
$2,357.60

EF JOHNSON 5183 PORTABLE, WITH FULL KEYPAD, FRONT MOUNT DISPLAY, 3 WATT, 800MHZ, WHIP ANTENNA, EXTRA HIGH CAPACITY NiMH BATTERY, BLACK HOUSING,    MOTOROLA SMARTNET AND SMARTZONE TRUNKING, CONVENTIONAL,    
PROJECT 25 DIGITAL COMMON AIR INTERFACE (CAI), 256 TALKGROUPS.   
$2,555.20

EF JOHNSON 5182 PORTABLE, WITH LIMITED KEYPAD, FRONT MOUNT DISPLAY, 3 WATT, 800MHZ, WHIP ANTENNA, EXTRA HIGH CAPACITY NiMH BATTERY, BLACK HOUSING, MOTOROLA SMARTNET AND SMARTZONE TRUNKING, CONVENTIONAL, PROJECT 25 DIGITAL COMMON AIR INTERFACE (CAI), 512 TALKGROUPS.   
$2,509.60

EF JOHNSON 5183 PORTABLE, WITH FULL KEYPAD, FRONT MOUNT DISPLAY, 3 WATT, 800MHZ, WHIP ANTENNA, EXTRA HIGH CAPACITY NiMH BATTERY, BLACK HOUSING,    MOTOROLA SMARTNET AND SMARTZONE TRUNKING, CONVENTIONAL,    
PROJECT 25 DIGITAL COMMON AIR INTERFACE (CAI), 512 TALKGROUPS.   
$2,707.20

abysmal

Still trying to find what these things REALLY go for...

BASE MODEL: (Select one) PRICE
5112 = VHF, 5W, 136–174 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,644
5113 = VHF, 5W, 136–174 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,891
5122† = UHF, 4W, 380–470 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,644
5123† = UHF, 4W, 380–470 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,891
5132 = UHF, 4W, 403–470 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,644
5133 = UHF, 4W, 403–470 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,891
5142 = UHF, 4W, 450–512 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,644
5143 = UHF, 4W, 450–512 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,891
5182 = 800, 3W, 806–870 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,644
5183 = 800, 3W, 806–870 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,891
5116 = Intrinsically-safe, VHF, 5W, 136–174 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,693
5117 = Intrinsically-safe, VHF, 5W, 136–174 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,940
5126† = Intrinsically-safe, UHF, 4W, 380–470 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,693
5127† = Intrinsically-safe, UHF, 4W, 380–470 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,940
5136 = Intrinsically-safe, UHF, 4W, 403–470 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,693
5137 = Intrinsically-safe, UHF, 4W, 403–470 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,940
5146 = Intrinsically-safe, UHF, 4W, 450–512 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,693
5147 = Intrinsically-safe, UHF, 4W, 450–512 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,940
5186 = Intrinsically-safe, 800, 3W, 806–870 MHz, Non-DTMF Keypad $1,693
5187 = Intrinsically-safe, 800, 3W, 806–870 MHz, DTMF Keypad $1,940

And then you still have to buy...
Antena
Battery
Housing
Pay for the P-25 protocol to be installed
  Project 25 Digital CAI (Common Air Interface)
  (Includes #1 Analog FM enabled) $ 412
And buy the Software
SYSTEM OPTIONS: (Select one)
0 = Conventional $ 640
1 = SMARTNET® II Trunking (Includes #0 Conventional enabled) $594
2 = SmartZone® Trunking (Includes #1 SMARTNET II Trunking, #0 Conventional,
and STAR [SmartZone Transfer Area Roaming] enabled) $891
3 = Project 25 Trunking (Includes #2 SmartZone, #1 SMARTNET II,
#0 Conventional, and STAR enabled) $1149

And they want to use this for CAP???????
There must have come up with be one heck of a new budget since I last active!!

arajca

They really haven't. DoD requires any radios purchased with DoD funds (i.e. the appropriated budget for CAP) to be P25 capable. That capability costs two arms, a leg, and your first born. Hence, you'll porbably see CAP owned radios being P25 and member owned not being P25.

I did ask National (Malcom Kaiser) if CAP had any plans to go use P25 and he told me not for the next ten years - which was as far as they had planned. Some wings might, but given that doing so would instantly remove up to 75% of the radios in a wing, I don't see it happening.

arajca

BTW, the Icom F50 is water resistant to 1 meter. Which makes it good for outdoors use - particularly in incliment weather.

MIKE

Quote from: arajca on March 27, 2005, 04:14:41 AM
BTW, the Icom F50 is water resistant to 1 meter. Which makes it good for outdoors use - particularly in incliment weather.

So if I like to operate as a net control station from my bath tub this radio is good for that right?  ;D

Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 27, 2005, 04:13:05 AM
I did ask National (Malcom Kaiser) if CAP had any plans to go use P25 and he told me not for the next ten years -

So, for all intents and purposes the whole P25 is a NON-Starter in reality then?
nice capability, but if we are not going to implement it on a wide scale basis, whats the point of paying for it?

arajca

CAP is paying for it because the AF provides the money for the radios and we have to follow their rules in spending it. Which means CAP buys P25 cabable radios. Members do not have that problem. If a unit wanted to raise funds to purchase radios, they would only need to get NTIA wide and narow band compliant radios, not P25 capable radios.

Slim

Warning, long techo-filled mumbo jumbo to follow

Chris,

Looking at the options you listed for the EF Johnson gear, a lot of them won't apply to us.  Things like SMARTNet, STAR and SMARTZone trunking are 800MHz trunking protocols.  Since the 800MHz spectrum is pretty well packed as it is, I highly doubt that the AF will get any of it, let alone enough to give to us.  Then, you have to set up the infrastructure to support it.  A nationwide 800MHz trunking system is next to impossible, and the talkgroups (similar to conventional channels) would be in the millions.  Radios with enough space to support it would be impractically expensive.

However, APCO Project 25 does allow for digital encryption on conventional radio systems like we use now.  The federal gov't already uses SECURENET (which is Motorola's trade name for analog encryption) for most agencies like the Coast Guard, DEA, FBI, and USSS (you'll hear them tell another station to "Go Secure,"  and it's just a matter of pressing a button on the radio, all you will hear is blowing wind).  APCO P25 is just the next generation of that, and it's an industry standard, whereas Motorola's ASTRO, SMARTNet and SMARTZone, and GEs EDACS trunking systems are not (can't use a SMARTNet radio on an EDACS system).  With APCO enacting P25, all manufacturers have to offer this system in their equipment for interoperabiliy reasons.  We're also starting to see compatiability between the different trunking systems (Motorola and GE).

Sorry to get so techincal, this is basically a layman's version of it.  The actual documents are dry enough to put a speed freak to sleep.

As far as radios go, there are several out there that meet wide and narrow band requirements, by all the manufacturers like Kenwood, Motorola, Icom, Vertex, Johnson, and GE.  You can find these on ebay usually for a pretty reasonable price.  But we all know that ebay is buyer beware.  Just check the list that the NTC has on their site and find what fits your needs and budget.

Personally, I have a Tait T-2020 mobile, and the only thing I dislike about it is that 25 watts output power is kinda weak (I'm used to a Motorola Spectra with 110 at work).  It's got 100 channels, alphanumeric display, and is type accepted for commercial FCC applications (doubles as my fire dept and work radio).  I got mine through the CAP Supply Depot before they closed, and spent just under $600 (the radio was $500, programming kit was another 70 IIRC).  Personally, I'd like to get something with at least 50 watts output power, but the Tait does ok.

For handhelds, I'm a pure Motorola snob.  I own and use several for work and CAP.  The only ones I have licensed for CAP are a Saber (wideband only) and an MT-2000 (wide and narrow compliant), but neither are P25 complaint.  Of course, member owned equipment doesn't have to be. 

Best handheld on the market right now IMNSHO is the Motorola HT-1000.  This is the new millenium's version of the old HT-220 (think about that one, old-timer).  You can not break an HT-1000 (I saw one work after being burned up in a fire).  16 channels, wide and narrow band compliant.  Only key is to get either the wideband (136-174 MHz) antenna or the one tuned specific to 136-150.

Commo gear is like anything else, find what you can afford, and what works for you.  Hope this helps

Slim

SarDragon

CAP gets a deal on the EFJs - @ $1400 each. That's for either the mobile or handheld. I have a CAP-owned mobile in my 'Burb, and it's doing great.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abysmal

Quote from: SarDragon on March 27, 2005, 07:42:18 AM
CAP gets a deal on the EFJs - @ $1400 each. That's for either the mobile or handheld. I have a CAP-owned mobile in my 'Burb, and it's doing great.

Is that deal available to members or only to corporate?

abysmal

Quote from: Slim on March 27, 2005, 07:37:08 AM
Warning, long techo-filled mumbo jumbo to follow

Best handheld on the market right now IMNSHO is the Motorola HT-1000.  This is the new millenium's version of the old HT-220 (think about that one, old-timer).  You can not break an HT-1000 (I saw one work after being burned up in a fire).  16 channels, wide and narrow band compliant.  Only key is to get either the wideband (136-174 MHz) antenna or the one tuned specific to 136-150.

Commo gear is like anything else, find what you can afford, and what works for you.  Hope this helps

THANKS for the explanation!

Given the current and near future state of affairs with CAP...
What are all the frequency ranges that we "Might" be called upon to use?

The EFJ covers a LOT of territory.

arajca

From what I've heard from National, we are changing the frequency plan in 2008. However, the new plan will be in the same band as the current plan (140-160Mhz), so many radios available today will still be usable when we change. Icom F-50 and F-30 cover 136 - 172 Mhz which also makes them good for many vol. fire/ems agencies. If you own your own radio you can program in any frequencies which the radio can handle AND for which you have authoization to use. For example, I have CAP and Summit County (CO) emergency channels (incl. police) and authorization from the county emergency manager to use those frequencies.

As for other frequencies, it depends on your wing. Each wing has different agreements with various emergency agencies to support their communications. However, for the most part, members are not expected to have those frequencies on their personally owned radios.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 28, 2005, 04:55:46 PM
From what I've heard from National, we are changing the frequency plan in 2008. However, the new plan will be in the same band as the current plan (140-160Mhz), so many radios available today will still be usable when we change. Icom F-50 and F-30 cover 136 - 172 Mhz which also makes them good for many vol. fire/ems agencies. If you own your own radio you can program in any frequencies which the radio can handle AND for which you have authoization to use. For example, I have CAP and Summit County (CO) emergency channels (incl. police) and authorization from the county emergency manager to use those frequencies.

As for other frequencies, it depends on your wing. Each wing has different agreements with various emergency agencies to support their communications. However, for the most part, members are not expected to have those frequencies on their personally owned radios.

Just want to be SURE when I fork over my hard earned cash I am NOT limiting myself by having purchased the wrong radio, as I want this unti to give me MANY years of happy service!

arajca

I had the same concerns, which is why I went to National to find out what the future would hold.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 28, 2005, 05:21:13 PM
I had the same concerns, which is why I went to National to find out what the future would hold.

When budgeting approaches these levels, I do NOT want to find out I made a mistake a couple years down the road.

arajca

I'd suggest contacting National Comm directly. Let them know you're looking at purchasing a radio, and while you know they can't make a recommendation, ask them 1. what knid of radios CAP is buying, 2. if that pricing is available to members, and 3. what kind of large scale changes are coming, i.e. frequency plan, wide/narrow band/ P25, etc.

When looking at this kind of expenditure, it make sense to research and get information from as high up as you can. From my experience, National Comm is happy to provide information like this to members. Some details may not be available (such as the actual frequencies) but the frequency range is known. If you're enrolled in the Comm Specialty track, make note of that with your request.

abysmal

Buzz

Quote from: MIKE on March 27, 2005, 04:21:25 AM
Quote from: arajca on March 27, 2005, 04:14:41 AM

So if I like to operate as a net control station from my bath tub this radio is good for that right?  ;D

That's one way to get a really good ground . . .

Matt

Why can I sadly hear that conversation taking place... something about: hold on, washing my hair...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Jerry

For the individual CAP member, eventually you will begin seeing Motorola Spectra units (mobile) become available as Motorola introduces new models. Personally, I don't have a compliant handheld-don't plan to buy one, either.  NTC told me that if Icom would only run their 706 and other all-band radios thru the TCXO, they would be compliant on VHF as well. Check out Kenwood's units on the compliant list as well.

When we get to the point that they take all the "volunteer" out of CAP, that's when I retire. I am not all that happy with *some* policies, but, hey, it's not for me to reason why, just to..........well, you know the story.

;)

Jerry

abysmal

Quote from: Jerry on August 31, 2005, 10:14:06 PM
When we get to the point that they take all the "volunteer" out of CAP, that's when I retire. I am not all that happy with *some* policies, but, hey, it's not for me to reason why, just to..........well, you know the story.
;)
Jerry

Well then, at least there are SOME policies your happy with!

Jerry

I've known policies I wasn't happy with 40 years ago, and I've learned not to worry to much about any of them. ;D

Lt/Col Jerry Oxendine
NC-024 Communications Officer

abysmal

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: abysmal on September 01, 2005, 03:05:12 PM
Life is TOO short...

Amen to that.

It took me a long time to learn that lesson...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

abysmal

What always amazes me is how LONG it takes most people to understand that....

Matt

Just remember the statistic: 8 out of 10 Americans are functionally illiterate.  They go along day-by-day living their lives and have no outside comprehension of the world.

Sad, isn't it.

abysmal

Please, say it isn't so!

But on the other hand,  that would explain those idiots down in New Orleans that are taking pot shots at the rescue copters...

Matt

that would also explain the idiots trying to loot appliances from Wal Mart... where to plug them in?  Even a sump pump is of no actual use at this point in time...

Major Lord

Gents,

Although not strictly speaking kosher for CAP use, check out my APRS tracking transmitters www. byonics.com/microtrak300

There is a lot of talk about using APRS personall and AC tracking in SAR.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

KyCAP

How about something that is CLOSER to narrowband compliant....

I have been eyeballing these: http://www.kantronics.com/products/talon.html
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Psicorp

Quote from: kycap on November 15, 2006, 05:46:45 AM
How about something that is CLOSER to narrowband compliant....

I have been eyeballing these: http://www.kantronics.com/products/talon.html

Sir,

I recently attended a Sprint/Nextel presentation on Interoperability had a chance to "play" with some pretty nifty toys.   Two companies (Codespear and Raytheon) were on-site demonstrating their systems' capabilities.  Being able to use an H.F. radio to talk to someone with a Nextel phone is amazing.

http://www.codespear.com/products.asp

http://www.jps.com/index.asp?node=88

Wayne County (Detroit), Michigan has been using Codespear for about a year and from what I've heard it's spreading like wildfire, everyone is very pleased with it.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

KyCAP

The Raytheon gear is a great tool is for the most part it is pre-configured.  Otherwise with the ACU-1000 you need a technician who knows how to configure it within reach.

The ACU-T is much smaller and more readily adaptable for "rapid" deployment.  We use that gear with the Ky Army National Guard now.     We're testing it for use with Highbird already.

The company that I own is a Sprint Nextel partner and we work wtih some of the DR guys.   Problem is Nextel and Sprint might not be around in some of these locations when you need it.

Check this:
http://www.efjohnson.com/jiscc.asp

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

SKYKING607

Bendix King hand-held:

Silverado Avionics
2500 Airport Rd.
Napa, CA 94558
707-255-5588 (phone)
707-255-0114 (fax)
CAWG Career Captain

IceNine

I recently "fell" into a grant that may allow for some radios to be added to our inventory.  We are looking at the Johnsons (no booing please...we are getting a set number of radios not a monetary value).  If this goes through is there a way to get the programming software for the EFJ's, when I asked the Johnson rep he said CAP has an unlimited license to the software anyone know where to get one of these "unlimited copies"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Psicorp

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 04, 2007, 08:15:37 AM
I recently "fell" into a grant that may allow for some radios to be added to our inventory.  We are looking at the Johnsons (no booing please...we are getting a set number of radios not a monetary value).  If this goes through is there a way to get the programming software for the EFJ's, when I asked the Johnson rep he said CAP has an unlimited license to the software anyone know where to get one of these "unlimited copies"

Check with your Wing Communications Director.  If your Wing uses Johnsons, then she/he has the software already.     EFJs are pretty much the standard, at least here in MI.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 04, 2007, 08:15:37 AM

Hendricks, any chance you might share the info of this grant with your associates down at Charleston?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

IceNine

I would love to but it's through a local organization that is all about "giving back to the community" so you would not be eligible sorry  :'(

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SAR-EMT1

Sounds like State Farm... meh, no biggie. Thanks anyway.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

I guess I'm just behind the times because my Kenwood TK-730(G) and SGC2000 just keep plugging away.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Matt

Quote from: floridacyclist on June 06, 2007, 07:54:23 PM
I guess I'm just behind the times because my Kenwood TK-730(G) and SGC2000 just keep plugging away.

Amen -- I swear by my TK-280...  Been looking at the 730...  So far, I have nothing negative to say about Kenwoods.

Major Lord

Quote from: Matt on June 06, 2007, 09:31:51 PM
Quote from: floridacyclist on June 06, 2007, 07:54:23 PM

Amen -- I swear by my TK-280...  Been looking at the 730...  So far, I have nothing negative to say about Kenwoods.

I think the Kenwood fell off the post Jan 06 compliance list: https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/vhf_list.cfm
It is a good radio though!

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

floridacyclist

They did, but mine was grandfathered since it was registered and accepted as compliant before they changed the rules; it is considered legal until the end of it's life cycle. This explains why I am willing to pay $300.00 to replace the finals, which totally blew the repair guy's mind.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Matt

^^^ What he said.

But here is something that I just found interesting.  According to NHQ's page, they're TBD, not even not tested, just To Be Determined -- any insight?

floridacyclist

No idea...the other thing that I found interesting was that the HF radios do not have the same grandfather clause that the VHF radios did...which leaves me wondering if my ICOM 703 is still legal or not
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Hartley

Hi Guys,

Here's the scoop on "TBD" in the "Post 1/1/2006" compliance column:

When the NTIA changed the specs in 2005, they put in a clause (in Chapter 5) that equipment "acquired or contracted for" prior to 1/1/2006 need only meet the old rules, including the older EIA/TIA-603 measurement methods.  They also retained the older standards for "wideband", but for narrowband, they changed the EIA standard to "EIA/TIA-603B or later" - which is the root of the problem that creates the "TBD" entry.

When the EIA revised the original version (now called EIA/TIA-603-92) to the -603A version, they made a significant change to one of the tests, and the resultant spec number, while still in decibels, is completely different.  That test is the Receiver Adjacent Channel Selectivity spec, and until a manufacturer tests their equipment using the new test, we can't evaluate whether it is NTIA compliant "post 1/1/2006" - hence the "TBD".

Unfortunately, the new test is MUCH more demanding of the equipment, and the resultant spec number is a significantly lower number, so (IMHO) the marketing departments of the various manufacturers are loath to change to the new test/spec because it makes their product look worse if the potential purchaser doesn't understand the difference.  Some manufacturers have adopted the new test completely (EFJ), while others only intermittently (Motorola) and some appear to continue to ignore it as hard as they can (Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom).  We have suggested they add the new spec as a separate entry in addition to the older one they like so much, but they haven't done so yet.

Meanwhile, we live in the grey zone created by this discontinuity between engineering and marketing..sigh..

73 DE Hartley
CAP Comm Standards Officer

p.s. The current guidance from HQ on HF-SSB radios is that if you had a radio that was evaluated as compliant prior to the big change last fall, you can continue to use it, pending the result of a request CAP has made to extend the use of this equipment for some number of years.  Your DC should have received a copy of a letter from the Commander stating this.
HJG

SKYKING607

The police department I work for has had luck with interoperable products from New Communications Solutions.  http://www.ncsradio.com

Their basic unit the "C250" can link up to 4 radios for interoperable operations.  What is ideal for this product is its ability to link HF, VHF, UHF, 800, and NEXTEL devices together.  It is expandable to add additional radios.

A mobile unit costs around $ 1100 with most options installed.  There is a portable unit that can link 4 portable radios and costs around $ 4K.

Does anyone have any experiences with the ICOM F70 portables and the ICOM IC 1721 mobiles?
CAWG Career Captain

RADIOMAN015

Recently joined CAP as a communication officer in training.  Looking at the member benefits page, I see a reasonably priced (in comparison to present versus past alternatives)  mobile radio Kenwood TK7180 (which the site says is NTIA approved), BUT looking at the CAP NTC info, I see a TBD next to this radio if you are just putting it in service for licensing.  Our wing comm expert is hesitant to recommended anything accept the Tait's. From my perspective of this, I would think that CAP should make it a priority to have radio listed on the "members benefits" site tested for a final determination.  At this point it looks like I'm in a holding pattern.  Opinions & thoughts?

Al Sayre

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING until they get the whole narrow band frequency change over mess sorted out...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

IceNine

I agree best bet is to try and get one of the EFJ's if you need to be on the radio now.  There are tons of them available and we know they are/will be compliant.  Plus there free, all you have to do is get one issued

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4