Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Smoothice, January 13, 2010, 01:21:41 PM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 15, 2010, 06:54:02 PM
I think "to make their availability known." is the key.  In other words, "Can we go too?"

Actually, in this context, it is a specific query meaning that you have been ASKED to go by competent authority and intended to ascertain your status and willingness to go.   There's no "wanna go-ism" here.

If a disaster struck in the US and your unit commander asked about your availability, would you conclude that the request originated from higher HQ or that the Commander wants to "go too"??

SarMaster

Ham Radio Operators are desperatly needed.  There are only a few on the island.  We were talking to a priest of a missionary group in Port-O-Prince yesterday... He was one of only 3 licensed hams that live there.... They were in desperate need of generator / batteries to keep on the air.   The Dominican Republic if bringing in a 1.5kw HF station with generator tomorrow to support the comm effort.  They need help.   
Semper Gumby!

flyguy06

Quote from: Short Field on January 14, 2010, 01:10:42 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on January 13, 2010, 02:41:11 PM
Honestly, you don't want anything to do with Haiti.  Huge crime, huge disease vectors, no infrastructure. 
Your comments are way way too kind.   Seriously.

I would help out.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: SarMaster on January 14, 2010, 12:16:28 AM
Just think of how much good our Cadets and Rangers will do in Haiti!  We should load up our Cessnas and take everyone who has a 101 card.   Dont forget to bring the walkers for the old seniors too.   
Most agree that deployment to any foreign county, especially Haiti isn't in CAP's mission capabilities.

HOWEVER, your comment about older senior and walkers is a bit insensitive >:(.  We have people in our wing/my unit that have some physical challenges, BUT they can be effectively utilized at mission bases for functions such as radio communications &  various operational support administrative duties.  They are dedicated members who deserve our support!
RM 

RiverAux

As a CAP member, my mission is to serve the US.  Ill volunteer for just about anything for the US.  I AINT volunteering to go to Haiti.
Ah, but you forget that this is one of the official purposes of the organization:

• [font=&quot]To assist the Department of the Air Force infulfilling its noncombat programs and missions. [/font][/l][/l]
So, if it is an AF non-combat mission, and the AF would like our help, it is one our missions no matter where it is.  Obviously you're not obligated to volunteer to do anything and you might not have joined CAP to do such things, which is fine, but it is something that the AF COULD (but almost assuredly won't) use CAP for. 

[/list]

Flying Pig

Dude, your trying on this one aren't you.  OK, keep thinking flying disaster relief in Haiti is one of CAPs missions.  Just like we could deploy to Afganistan to do CD right?  I bet someone already has the Haiti Service Medal already drawn up. 

RiverAux

The AF can use CAP for almost everything, which is a FACT. 

It is my opinion that it is unlikely that they will do so in this case in particular since the internal infrastructure necessary to use CAP members in such overseas roles just doesn't exist even if there were individual CAP members with skills the AF would like to use. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on January 16, 2010, 04:19:43 PM
As a CAP member, my mission is to serve the US.  Ill volunteer for just about anything for the US.  I AINT volunteering to go to Haiti.
Ah, but you forget that this is one of the official purposes of the organization:

• To assist the Department of the Air Force infulfilling its noncombat programs and missions.
So, if it is an AF non-combat mission, and the AF would like our help, it is one our missions no matter where it is.  Obviously you're not obligated to volunteer to do anything and you might not have joined CAP to do such things, which is fine, but it is something that the AF COULD (but almost assuredly won't) use CAP for. 
I seriously doubt this qualifies. In general, the Air Force does disaster relief missions quite a bit differently than what people think, and at times isn't even present. The Northridge quake of '94 comes to mind. There was some Air Guard there (as Governor callup), but this isn't a typical mission for the active duty component.

Second, CAP does noncombat missions in CONUS, not worldwide. A military member can be moved overseas rather easily. A CAP member is a civilian, regardless of their uniform, and still has to have passports and clearance, and is not going to be covered by the same protections that a military person has.

I know some people here would just love to go to Haiti in CAP garb, but it's not practical, or even prudent. The best way to help is to be a member of organizations such as the Red Cross and be trained up before the incident occurs. Wanting to go after something happens is too little, too late.

Let's not try to rationalize "We could help" with unrealistic concepts, or try to make ourselves out to be something we're not.[/list]

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on January 16, 2010, 05:38:30 PM
The AF can use CAP for almost everything, which is a FACT.
Not a fact at all. CAP has limits as to what it's used for. Non-combatant roles in particular, and those are limited. They can't and won't call CAP up for anything else. New missions for us would have to be vetted, programmed, and training set up for them.

Quote from: RiverAux on January 16, 2010, 05:38:30 PMIt is my opinion that it is unlikely that they will do so in this case in particular since the internal infrastructure necessary to use CAP members in such overseas roles just doesn't exist even if there were individual CAP members with skills the AF would like to use.
It's not a matter of "won't" call us up because we lack the infrastructure and are untrained, they can't. CAP members have never been "deployed" en masse in the manner that this type of mission would require. It's not our mission, and unlikely that it ever will be. We are not even on the radar when it comes to this type of tasking.

For a callup such as this, CAP members would probably be used a unskilled labor. We have no training (as CAP) for this mission.

SarMaster

Heres a fact... CAP IS FULL OF WANNABEE'S!   We will never be looked at serioulsy by anybody... Were just a buch of kids that wear orange scarfs and old farts that fly our planes.   Worthless orginization.. We cant even support out own people! How the hell are we going to support another country. We dont have logistical support to run a 3 day REDCAP...Now you want to go to a 3rd World country... Fools!   CAP is a complete waste of time!  Look at Katrina... We self deployed to conduct 'RECON'...then when we went to the State EOC with  our 'Reports' they looked at us like fools abd said 'Who the hell are you'.  Or in Florida Durring Charlie when the cap guys showed up they told them to 'Sit in a corner'  and they said 'Oh look...the boyscouts are here'   CAP will NEVER understand Emergency Managment..EVER!  Knobody is or will ever take CAP seriously unless we lose the Cadets and the arrogant morons and listen to the professionals....

Fools!
Semper Gumby!

Ned

^^

Feel better?

Very constructive.  I'm confident you have pursuaded many people.  Good job.

RiverAux

There is a difference between what the AF can legally use CAP for and what they are actually likely to use CAP for.  To say that they could do it doesn't mean that I think that they should or that we could do it if asked. 

There is absoloutely nothing that legally restricts the AF from using CAP anywhere in the world (and by the way, I did specifically quote the law that restricts such use to non-combat missions). 

However, while technically possible to use CAP members for a lot of things relevant to this disaster, I don't see it happening because I agree that right now we don't have a lot to bring to the table beyond our traditional mission capabilities.  Could we develop such capabilities?  Probably.  Should we?  Maybe, maybe not. 

SarMaster

My Squadron is ready!   we have 34 Cadet Rangers, and 4 , 78 year old Pilots....  Maybe we can hand out water!   Oh I forgot  my Rangers are "Medics"  so maybe we can...hand out bandaids?  Dont forget to to bring the walkers for the seniors.
Semper Gumby!

Gunner C

Quote from: SarMaster on January 16, 2010, 06:33:39 PM
Fools!
Don't get tense, Buzz. Unless you're Mr. T don't call me (or anyone else) a fool, a wannabe, or an old fart.  I (and a whole bunch of others here) have more time in a T-10 than you have in a T-shirt.

So sit down in the corner.  Have a lollypop, and be a good boy.  Watch as we show you how the world works.

Been there, done that, got a whole drawer full of t-shirts.

JoeTomasone

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/16/local-ham-operators-may-soon-head-haiti/news-breaking/

Local ham operators may soon head to Haiti
TBO.com Staff

Tampa Bay area ham radio operators may soon be heading to Haiti to help with earthquake relief efforts.

So far, more than 20 operators from Charlotte, Highlands, Hillsborough and Pinellas counties have volunteered to fly down to Haiti and set up radio systems in a devastated nation bereft of communications, according to Neil H. Lauritsen Sr., Pinellas County Auxiliary Communications Service radio officer.

Lauritsen has been tasked with recruiting amateur radio operators and equipment for deployment to Haiti. Aside from those who have volunteered, more are applying for passports or are renewing their old ones, he said, meaning that even more ham operators from the area might be heading to the disaster zone.

Once deployed, they will be assigned to assist relief organizations already in place on Haiti. Other operators have volunteered their equipment.

The Florida Emergency Operations Center has placed the deployment on standby until more infrastructure can be put in place for their safety. Valid passports will be needed.

Arrangements are being made to be able to keep the operators in contact with each other for both support and security in addition to their primary function of providing communications within Haiti and between Haiti and the U.S. These deployments may last for up to a week.

The State Department has set up a special office at the Miami Airport to expedite passports issuance if needed, according to Lauritsen. The operators will likely depart the U.S. from Miami, he said.

SarMaster

Yes...I must be new to disaster operations....so how does it really work?   Just sounds like CAP dosent know whats goin on!

Enlighten me???

Semper Gumby!

MIKE

You want a no expenses paid vacation from the forums SarMaster?  It can be arranged.
Mike Johnston

SarMaster

So how does the 'World Work'?  in CAP Disaster Ops?   Seriously... I would like to know...
Semper Gumby!

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on January 16, 2010, 07:12:26 PMThere is absoloutely nothing that legally restricts the AF from using CAP anywhere in the world
That, you're gonna have to prove to me. I seriously doubt that CAP would be utilized anywhere other than home soil. And I would highly doubt that overseas deployments fit anywhere within the Air Force's mission statement for CAP.

SarMaster

Headlines  "Civil Air PAtrol Sends Cadets and Geriatric Pilots to Iraq to support troops!"     
Semper Gumby!