Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Smoothice, January 13, 2010, 01:21:41 PM

Flying Pig

Yeah and the ones who are to slow will become human sacrifices to the voodoo gods.  I've never been to Haiti, but I know several missionaries who still have nightmares about their time there.  One who spent a lot of time there says if there ever was a hell on earth, its Haiti.  And thats on a good day.

SergeantElbow

My family works with Missionary Flights International in Fort Pierce, and MFI flies regularly to Haiti.  My dad is currently sitting on a plane in Port-au-Prince waiting for someone to pick up the supplies on the plane.  You can read updates from Haiti at Missionary Flight's website here: http://www.missionaryflights.org.   I am updating the website as needed while my dad is in Haiti.
Evan J. Nee, C/SMSgt, CAP
Gainesville Composite Squadron

FLWG Cadet Honor Society Inductee #112
Wright Brothers Award #13705
FLWG Cadet Honor Society Member of Distinction
Ribbon Rack

Flying Pig

Very cool.  Thanks.  I looked into being a missionary pilot some time ago  but you also had to be an A&P.

Short Field

Quote from: Gunner C on January 13, 2010, 02:41:11 PM
Honestly, you don't want anything to do with Haiti.  Huge crime, huge disease vectors, no infrastructure. 
Your comments are way way too kind.   Seriously.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 14, 2010, 12:21:44 AM
Yeah and the ones who are to slow will become human sacrifices to the voodoo gods.  I've never been to Haiti, but I know several missionaries who still have nightmares about their time there.  One who spent a lot of time there says if there ever was a hell on earth, its Haiti.  And thats on a good day.
Makes one wonder if rescue/relief organizations, military aside, deploy with security of any kind.  Guessing it's not a simple thing to roll into a foreign country with meaningful protection.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Krapenhoeffer

And once more, they've decided to send 2000 United States Marines to this disaster. THEY'RE SENDING AD MARINES. Do you think that any sane (wo)man who isn't armed would want to go there. I rest my case.

This isn't the place for CAP. This is the place for the US Army Corps of Engineers, the SeaBees and the Marines.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Al Sayre

The U.S. Marines have a history with Haiti, having been sent in several times starting in 1915 when they occupied the country until 1934 (probably one of the main reasons they don't like us a lot down there). 

The UN has been there since the last Civil War/Coup d' Etat, with the French Foreign Legion providing most of the Support/Security forces.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on January 14, 2010, 02:20:17 AM
And once more, they've decided to send 2000 United States Marines to this disaster. THEY'RE SENDING AD MARINES. Do you think that any sane (wo)man who isn't armed would want to go there. I rest my case.

This isn't the place for CAP. This is the place for the US Army Corps of Engineers, the SeaBees and the Marines.

According to CNN: "Estimated 40,000-45,000 Americans live in Haiti."

Al Sayre

^^ but what they don't say is that probably 30K of those are children of Haitian citizens who happened to be born in the US.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarMaster

Now the Massive Repatriation effort begins... All 45,000 of those americans will be rought into Tampa to Macdill AFB to be processed back into the US....  Thats going to be fun. 
Semper Gumby!

1LtNurseOfficer

There are several ways you can help. 
1) If you have your heart set on going, 'enlist' with the ARC/IRC. 
2) If you feel you must contribute in some way, make monetary donations to ARC/IRC or some other mission/relief organization.
3) Pray without ceasing to your [insert deity name here] for the health and safety of those who ARE already suffering as well as those who will be putting themselves in harms way (voluntary or otherwise) to help those already suffering.
4) Pray that many survivers are found.  Pray that injuries aren't life threatening.
5) I could go on ad nauseum, but I think you get the drift.

oak2007

]If you want to help, donate a $1.00 via Pay pal

SergeantElbow

If you really want to help the relief effort, you can donate to Missionary Flights International in Fort Pierce.  They are partnering with Samaritan's Purse to fly down thousands of pounds of relief supplies and aid workers RIGHT NOW.  They were there the day after the earthquake with relief supplies.  You can donate to their effort here: http://www.missionaryflights.org/donate-now
You also read field reports from missions in Haiti and view the progress of relief flights here: http://www.missionaryflights.org/field-reports/up-to-the-minute
Your donation right now can make a difference in the lives of the people of Haiti.
Evan J. Nee, C/SMSgt, CAP
Gainesville Composite Squadron

FLWG Cadet Honor Society Inductee #112
Wright Brothers Award #13705
FLWG Cadet Honor Society Member of Distinction
Ribbon Rack

JayT

The ARC isn't accepting volunteers when I last called.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PA Guy

The trick to being involved in disaster work is to be a member of a response organization well in advance of an event.  Walk on volunteers are usually turned down.

Many organizations are constantly looking for volunteers i.e. DMATs, ARC, MRC, Salvation Army etc.  But you need to be a member prior to an event.  That gives them time to vet, train and credential the volunteer.

c172drv

I think that the only thing we could seriously do would be the Archer and maybe comms.  In reality the Archer would be the only practical item since we could get it down to PR and fly it on missions over there.  Problem would be getting fuel in Hati and where do you send the data to help them since the infrastructure is trashed.  I'd have to agree that this one belongs with the big boys with expensive toys.

John
John Jester
VAWG

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: PA Guy on January 14, 2010, 09:48:39 PM

Many organizations are constantly looking for volunteers i.e. DMATs, ARC, MRC, Salvation Army etc.  But you need to be a member prior to an event.  That gives them time to vet, train and credential the volunteer.
Best bet is to join a federal DMAT.  You will get paid as a temporary government employee.  Apparently the team from Mass General Hospital (International Surgical Support Team), was deployed there.
This is going to be a VERY difficult response for whomever goes there.
BTW CAP definitely would not be a player in an international disaster.
RM

sardak

Charley Shimanski, president of the Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) is a Regional CEO for the American Red Cross. Here is an excerpt from an email he sent to the MRA:

Some of you have emailed or called me wondering how one can get deployed to Haiti and join this relief effort.  I want to thank each of you for your heartfelt desire to assist in ways more meaningful than a simple cash contribution.  That says a lot about the spirit of the Mountain Rescue Association [Ed. - or Civil Air Patrol].  When someone needs our help, we desperately want to be there.  Thank you for keeping this spirit alive.

That said, the American Red Cross is currently not engaging volunteers that have not already received our specialized training in operating in major disasters.  As we've learned through our experience with Hurricane Katrina, the needs of untrained "spontaneous" volunteers can often be overwhelming, and can redirect essential relief workers to "taking care of our own."  Please understand that when the media talks about "volunteers" in Haiti, they are generally referring to volunteers with many hours of training in dealing with devastating disasters like this tragedy.

Google is also working with its satellite imagery partners to get updated imagery of Haiti to overlay in Google Earth. The latest posted on the Google website is from Wednesday, January 13. The overlays can be turned on and off to see the differences from before and after the quake. These overlays and other Haiti related files are available here: http://www.google.com/gadgets/directory?synd=earth&hl=en&gl=&preview=on&q=Haiti

The coordinates of the National or Presidential Palace are (formatted to copy and paste directly into GE): 18 32 35.2, -72 20 19.9
Going north from the Palace the damage is apparent. About 0.4 miles north of the Palace is the Port-au-Prince Cathedral, or Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption. It's remains are reminiscent of the aerial photos of bombed out cities from WWII. Coordinates: 18 32 56.6, -72 20 19

Mike

JoeTomasone

Apparently ham radio operators are being prepared to head over there.  I got an email today looking for hams with valid passports to make their availability known.

Flying Pig

I think "to make their availability known." is the key.  In other words, "Can we go too?"

I am still having trouble trying to figure out why anyone would want to go as a CAP member.  As a CAP member, my mission is to serve the US.  Ill volunteer for just about anything for the US.  I AINT volunteering to go to Haiti.