Hurricane Sandy

Started by JK657, October 28, 2012, 07:22:15 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on November 04, 2012, 05:27:43 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 04, 2012, 05:17:44 PMIf it were up to me, GES would be required for the Mitchell (encouraged sooner, for capable cadets)and for completion of Level 1.

I'd say it should be required for Curry and Level 1.  It's not like its complicated.

At least that way 1/3rd of our mission wouldn't be treated as optional.

You know, this is one of the better ideas I've heard on CAPTalk in a long time. 

RiverAux

The last press release http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays-features/?massive_aerial_image_mission_seen_as_caps_largest_ever_under_way_in_sandys_aftermath&show=news&newsID=15285 says and I thought this was interesting:
QuoteCAP aircrews from the Northeast, Middle East and Great Lakes regions expect to fly 60-70 sorties and a total of 200 hours capturing images of every square inch of the eastern coastline, Leclair said.

The mission, which is being flown in a grid pattern similar to those CAP follows in conducting search and rescue missions, represents a paradigm shift from how the organization has conducted aerial photo missions in the past.   

"This is a cultural change in how we take pictures," Leclair said. "Yesterday we were looking only for damage, but today we will photograph everything, regardless of whether there is damage or not. We will give FEMA the broadest view of what's occurred as possible, which will position them to readily pinpoint the areas of greatest need."

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2012, 10:35:17 PM
The last press release http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays-features/?massive_aerial_image_mission_seen_as_caps_largest_ever_under_way_in_sandys_aftermath&show=news&newsID=15285 says and I thought this was interesting:
QuoteCAP aircrews from the Northeast, Middle East and Great Lakes regions expect to fly 60-70 sorties and a total of 200 hours capturing images of every square inch of the eastern coastline, Leclair said.

The mission, which is being flown in a grid pattern similar to those CAP follows in conducting search and rescue missions, represents a paradigm shift from how the organization has conducted aerial photo missions in the past.   

"This is a cultural change in how we take pictures," Leclair said. "Yesterday we were looking only for damage, but today we will photograph everything, regardless of whether there is damage or not. We will give FEMA the broadest view of what's occurred as possible, which will position them to readily pinpoint the areas of greatest need."
Interesting...looks like I have a new photo tasking to work into exercises for my Wing this year.

PHall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 04, 2012, 05:17:44 PMIf it were up to me, GES would be required for the Mitchell (encouraged sooner, for capable cadets)and for completion of Level 1.

I'd say it should be required for Curry and Level 1.  It's not like its complicated.

But it is optional.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 05, 2012, 12:08:57 AM

But it is optional.

The mission, at the wing level, has three points, none of which are optional.
Units within a wing have to pick up their piece, as directed by the Wing CC, to accomplish the total mission.

The fact that many Wing CC's never provide this direction, or believe that Units should be self-directed and actualizing
is a problem which needs to be corrected.

When you join the CAP, you join the total force, with the total mission, not one prop.

Members may be free to choose the how and where they are involved, but the organization does not, and the
units should not, have that option.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Quote from: JeffDG on November 04, 2012, 11:55:28 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2012, 10:35:17 PM

Interesting...looks like I have a new photo tasking to work into exercises for my Wing this year.

On the subject of the FEMA Photo Survey Flights: Surely someone on here has participated in the process of developing that new methodology and will share their information, but in the meantime I will relate what I can from Louisiana Wing's recent experience with this new approach.

My understanding is that FEMA has been working with NHQ and one or two Wings to develop this new approach. (Sorry, I don't know which Wings.)

The basic idea is to be a cheap satellite/U2 replacement. Vertical shots straight down, from altitudes of 8 - 10 thousand feet, with the Nikon DSLR cameras set to their maximum resolution. This yields a minimum resolution of something like 1 or 2 meters per pixel, which is sufficient for FEMA's purposes of wide area damage analysis.

The sorties are flown much like a grid search, with minimal (but some) photo overlap so that you bring back photos that can be geolocated into a Google Earth-like system. (I was told there were a couple of different systems in use, but I know Louisiana was using the data in their Virtual Louisiana system, which is a licensed standalone Google Earth implementation, which many State EMAs now have.)

Of particular note: FEMA provided all of their target coordinates and maps in GMRS military grid format. We had to provide for conversion of all the target coordinates before issuing taskings to aircrew. (Remember that the US SAR Manual (I'll find the quote later) says it is CAP's responsibility to translate from non-DegreeMinute coordinate systems, so we should be prepared for this to happen more in the future.)

The images are geocoded during/after flight with location info, and renamed according to the target name, coordinates, and date/time, but no data was visibly stamped on them. This makes sense given they were being used as overlays on a globe, no need for a bunch of CAP logos and title info floating around.

FEMA uses this info to count damaged structures and roads, tarped roofs, etc.

Our mission after Hurricane Isaac went pretty smoothly once we got a system in place for processing the FEMA requests, and got aircrews used to the new paradigm. Hopefully if this program continues we will get NHQ/NESA/etc. providing some definitive guidance on this new approach.

--
Thom

SARDOC

Quote from: PHall on November 05, 2012, 12:08:57 AM

But it is optional.

Yes, it is Optional.  I encourage all of the members of my unit to support all three missions of our organization though.  I Harass strongly encourage them to at least get GES and one mission qualification, even if it's just to understand our mission.  I also ask that members complete the Yeager award in support of our AE mission.  With as many Cadets as my unit has everyone is assigned a duty assignment or task that supports the Cadet Program.

Майор Хаткевич

Not being too far away from WIWAC, I can say that the cadet perspective on the ES was split: Those who like the hardkewl, those who are "meh" about it, and those who are completely uninterested.

Hardkewl kids had the Kevlar helmets and tactikewl gear, maybe even at times cared for the training (beyond getting the GMT badge).

"Meh" was my group, where I did the training, but realized that the missions are rare enough, and cadet time availability/opportunity small enough where this really is not a big part of the cadet program.

Then those who are uninterested...because that's not what they joined CAP for.

Cadets are in the CAP Cadet Program. Their focus should be on the Cadet Program, and AE to at least the extent that it is needed for the CP (Modules, Rockets, etc).

Anything beyond should not be required of the cadets, because when you get them doing enough of the stuff they don't want to do, they simply quit.

RickRutledge

Squadron CC's have the discretion to hold off on the CAPF 11 for new members if they so choose to require GES as a requirement, correct?

This may be a non-starter as there are supposed changes coming to the PD program...doubtful any ES requirements will be included, but who knows what the final result will be.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

RogueLeader

Quote from: RickRutledge on November 05, 2012, 09:19:12 PM
Squadron CC's have the discretion to hold off on the CAPF 11 for new members if they so choose to require GES as a requirement, correct?

This may be a non-starter as there are supposed changes coming to the PD program...doubtful any ES requirements will be included, but who knows what the final result will be.

No, a commander may not hold off on a CAPF 11 until GES is completed.  A commander may issue an approved supplement requiring GES for any promotion other than duty performance, of they so choose.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spaceman3750

No they don't. The member either completed the requirements for Level I as spelled out in the regs or they didn't.

JeffDG

So, how exactly could a Squadron CC require GES in order to approve Level 1, when Level 1 is a prerequisite of GES?

RickRutledge

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 05, 2012, 09:40:29 PM
No, a commander may not hold off on a CAPF 11 until GES is completed.  A commander may issue an approved supplement requiring GES for any promotion other than duty performance, of they so choose.

Answer I needed.

It seemed like a simple solution but I was unaware that we were prohibited from teaching GES and encouraging members to get credit prior to their Level 1 being processed. I have a new member who completed his as NHQ was processing his Level 1 paperwork as encouraged by me, he was allowed to go in and complete it and was given credit before his level 1 was credited. Although, he was not allowed to participate in any outside activities until his Level 1 was processed. I've never seen it written that GES has a Level 1 pre-req, can you site? Just for future reference?
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

SarDragon

Go to My Ops Quals, and pull up the SQTR for GES. (Yes, there really is one.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RickRutledge

I've looked at it so infrequently that I had forgotten that was a pre-req, however, that still doesn't bar the death by powerpoint correct? The only place I can see that being an issue is with taking the test, which my new SM was able to do before the Lv1 was processed as complete, maybe it's a eServices/eLearning bug...Please forgive my grey matter flatulence.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Spaceman3750

You can take it before LV1, it just won't turn on until the 11 is processed.

That still doesn't mean a CC can make up rules on the fly. This is my #1 pet peeve.

RickRutledge

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 05, 2012, 10:28:56 PM
That still doesn't mean a CC can make up rules on the fly. This is my #1 pet peeve.

No one was making up rules on the fly, it was simply a question. This is my #1 pet peeve.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Eclipse

The best case would be to make GES part of Level I, just as the other online tests are today.

As pointed out, a commander may not add additional hoops to the existing regs for professional development
or promotions, either the member completed them or they didn't.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: RickRutledge on November 05, 2012, 10:07:04 PM
It seemed like a simple solution but I was unaware that we were prohibited from teaching GES and encouraging members to get credit prior to their Level 1 being processed. I have a new member who completed his as NHQ was processing his Level 1 paperwork as encouraged by me, he was allowed to go in and complete it and was given credit before his level 1 was credited. Although, he was not allowed to participate in any outside activities until his Level 1 was processed. I've never seen it written that GES has a Level 1 pre-req, can you site? Just for future reference?

Quote from: CAPR 60-32-3 e. General Emergency Services (GES).  To participate in emergency services training or operations, personnel must be current traditional members (not patrons, cadet sponsors, AEMs, or legislative members) having  completed level one and cadet protection training (senior members) or achievement one (cadets).

a2capt

Yup. When granting GES, it has a line for Curry / Level 1. It has to be entered, or no GES. :)