Physical requirements for CAP ground teams

Started by RiverAux, January 15, 2007, 09:25:46 PM

arajca

Here is some info on the physical tests wildland fire personnel must complete.
"The Pack Test" Work Capacity Testing for Wildland Firefighters: Ensuring Wildland Firefighter Safety
I think the "Moderate" level would be appropriate for most of our GT operations.

The Colorado Search and Rescue Board has recommended the following:
Type III GT - 2 mile hike over level ground with a 25lb pack in 40 minutes
Type II GT - same
Type I GT -  3 mile hike over level ground with a 25lb pack in 60 minutes

These take into account the affects of altitude in Colorado - many SAR teams are based at over 7000'.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: arajca on May 24, 2009, 02:04:11 PM

The Colorado Search and Rescue Board has recommended the following:
Type III GT - 2 mile hike over level ground with a 25lb pack in 40 minutes
Type II GT - same
Type I GT -  3 mile hike over level ground with a 25lb pack in 60 minutes

These take into account the affects of altitude in Colorado - many SAR teams are based at over 7000'.

I've done that in altitudes higher than that, so I guess I would be good. I know lots of GT members who could not do that though.

Eclipse

I'd say the above is completely reasonable, and would be in keeping with our actual duties and mission, since even UDF guys have to walk around the ramps and neighborhoods.

"That Others May Zoom"

us11cav

Wildland firefighters, huh?... I can sure see how THEY would need to move, and move FAST.

Lots of talk about level terrain here. How about slope tests? (Include me out, LOL!)

arajca

Quote from: us11cav on May 24, 2009, 05:18:32 PM
Wildland firefighters, huh?... I can sure see how THEY would need to move, and move FAST.

Lots of talk about level terrain here. How about slope tests? (Include me out, LOL!)
The problem with slope tests is finding the proper slopes with sufficient length. I can find almost any slope with plenty of length in the mountains where I live, but in the flat lands, it can be a challange. But level - or mostly level - terrain is fairly easy to find anywhere.

Besides, anything above 10% and you're going to need ropes and stuff. Plus mucho training.

sardak

Andrew, check your numbers. 10% is about a 6° slope. Loaded unit coal trains struggle going up that. Your neighborhood medevac outfit will land on a slope up to 10°, which is almost 18%. From observer training everyone should remember that the span of your fist at arm's length is about 10°. Low angle rescue is generally considered rescue in which the load is supported mainly by itself and not the rope rescue system. At 30° (58%) the load is supported equally between itself and the rescue system. Black diamond ski runs start at about 35° (70%).

For the current wildland fire pack test, here are the added times, in seconds, for altitude:
                                                   Test
Altitude                Arduous       Moderate         Light
4000-5000 ft            30                20                 10
5000-6000 ft            45                30                 15
6000-7000 ft            60                40                 20
7000-8000 ft            75                50                 25
8000-9000 ft            90                60                 30
Base times:
Arduous - 45 lb pack, 3 miles in 45 minutes, walking on level ground.
Moderate - 25 lb pack, 2 miles in 30 minutes, walking on level ground.
Light - no pack, 1 mile in 16 minutes, walking on level ground.
These are at a speed of 4 miles per hour.

The Colorado SAR Board test is the moderate pack test at 3 miles per hour.

Forgot this the first time. For the studs, here are the smoke jumper tests:
On the first day of smokejumper training candidates must do seven pull-ups/chin-ups, 45 sit-ups, 25 push-ups, and a 1.5 mile run in less than 11 minutes (the training site is at 5000'). The test is taken in one time frame with 5-minute breaks between specific exercises.

In addition to the standard arduous test, they must pass the pack-out test:
110 pounds of smokejumper equipment, 3 miles in 90 minutes, walking on level ground.

Mike