BDUs as a hindrance

Started by NM SAR, May 15, 2011, 11:30:41 PM

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on May 20, 2011, 11:53:31 PM
there is no need for that fire resistant feature in GT work

Obviously you haven't seen some of the cadets that I've seen.   >:D

Heck, I remember when I was a brand new cadet and we had a fire.  The cadets were throwing lighters into the fire, watching them explode and fly several feet into the air, off into the woods somewhere.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JC004 on May 23, 2011, 08:13:03 AM

Heck, I remember when I was a brand new cadet and we had a fire.  The cadets were throwing lighters into the fire, watching them explode and fly several feet into the air, off into the woods somewhere.

Must have been before NHQ started sending squadrons a roll of bubblewrap for each new cadet...

JC004

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 23, 2011, 12:43:06 PM
Quote from: JC004 on May 23, 2011, 08:13:03 AM

Must have been before NHQ started sending squadrons a roll of bubblewrap for each new cadet...

WIWAC, we only had a corporate seal and the emblem - no other logos.  We used a .mil website URL and the flight suit patch hadn't changed majorly in decades (as opposed to several times in a few short years). 

SHARKMAN

If I may reply to the original question, as a former NM wing member. The New Mexico State Police, and their attitude toward CAP is based on several instances of CAP misrepresenting their capabilities. The NMSP would request for instance that CAP supply a 182 and a ground team to cover an area, based on their (NMSP) Policy and Procedure. Which is to have numbered teams, as in Team 1 has this many aircraft/ground resources, and covers this area. Team 2 has these aircraft and ground resources and so on. So the NMSP goes up with their Cessna Skymasters equipped with FLIR, and is flying around all night. While CAP says we have to pull our resources from the Search because CAP Regs say we can't fly if there is a cloud in the sky...Okay an over exaggeration but as put to us by a representative from said Law Enforcement Agency, CAP has regulated itself to the point of impotency. This is as of about 2001, when representatives of the State Police got to see cadets rappel with a stokes litter containing a CPR dummy at the ParaRescue school at Kirtland AFB. So the NMSP comes away thinking WOW these CAP guys are training with the PJ's! Then we can't provide the manpower/aircraft expeditiously (12 hours on their clock) when called upon by them. So they kinda stop calling.  Hope this sheds some light on it.

2. I do agree with you about the Boot issue, the BDU is fine, you've got the vest. 3M makes reflective tape you can put on your field gear, reflective belts, and a VS17 panel atop your ruck are good ideas for visibility. But there needs to definitely be an addendum to 39-1 for "in the field" A specialized hiking/SAR boot, built for the mission would be less risky(ORM) than people running around rugged terrain in Jungle boots. Although once out of the environment all attempts should be made to present that professional appearance. But if there is a high profile SAR covered by media in the area, and the locals are seeing increased official vehicle traffic, air traffic and the like. I'm sure no one is going to approach you and tell you you're a disgrace under those circumstances. Sometimes some common sense when interpreting regulations can go a long way.

SarDragon

Darn it, now you've mentioned 'common sense'. Now you're in trouble.   ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Quote from: SHARKMAN on June 13, 2011, 07:07:48 AM
If I may reply to the original question, as a former NM wing member. The New Mexico State Police, and their attitude toward CAP is based on several instances of CAP misrepresenting their capabilities. The NMSP would request for instance that CAP supply a 182 and a ground team to cover an area, based on their (NMSP) Policy and Procedure. Which is to have numbered teams, as in Team 1 has this many aircraft/ground resources, and covers this area. Team 2 has these aircraft and ground resources and so on. So the NMSP goes up with their Cessna Skymasters equipped with FLIR, and is flying around all night. While CAP says we have to pull our resources from the Search because CAP Regs say we can't fly if there is a cloud in the sky...Okay an over exaggeration but as put to us by a representative from said Law Enforcement Agency, CAP has regulated itself to the point of impotency. This is as of about 2001, when representatives of the State Police got to see cadets rappel with a stokes litter containing a CPR dummy at the ParaRescue school at Kirtland AFB. So the NMSP comes away thinking WOW these CAP guys are training with the PJ's! Then we can't provide the manpower/aircraft expeditiously (12 hours on their clock) when called upon by them. So they kinda stop calling.  Hope this sheds some light on it.
It is up to the Wing to make sure their primary partners have a full understanding of what our capabilities and limitations are.  We can't do everything and they should understand that.  This is one of the reason that NHQ developed the CAPabilities guide which does a decent job of what we can do.