Main Menu

Unruly Cadet

Started by agrandke, November 09, 2005, 04:33:09 PM

agrandke

I am the administration and personnel officer for our sqdn. Before I became a senior member I was a cadet, and I have stayed pretty much away from the cadets for the past year except for giving them their achievement tests. We have a new cadet who has been in for about 6 months, 1 stripe and her sister just joined. Now all they do is fight because the one that has been in longer picks on the other one. Plus she acts as if she knows everything because her dad is in the National Guard. Whenever they are arguing I happen to be the senior member who always sees it or pays attention to it. Now I am getting reprimanded by the other senior members because I am "picking on her". How am I supposed to correct her and not get into trouble?

capchiro

It sounds like you may possibly be a young senior member.  I would advise that unless you are in her chain of command that you leave her alone.  If the members in her chain of command do not think the situation is serious enough to warrant a reprimand, neither should you.  If possible, it would probably be best for you to stay away from the situation.  Overall, your involvement with this cadet does not sound like a win-win situation for you.  Unless you are the commander, don't sweat it and do your best in your own area/assignment.   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Horn229

Quote from: agrandke on November 09, 2005, 04:33:09 PM
How am I supposed to correct her and not get into trouble?

Become the CDC or Sqdn CC and then reprimand her.  ;D
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Matt

Quote from: Horn229 on November 09, 2005, 07:49:01 PM
Quote from: agrandke on November 09, 2005, 04:33:09 PM
How am I supposed to correct her and not get into trouble?

Become the [...] Sqdn CC and then reprimand her.  ;D

Ah, now that... that would scare me...  ;D
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

agrandke

I'm not within her direct chain of command, but she comes to me with all the itty bitty little problems that she has. She likes to pick fights with her fellow cadets and the cadet commander is too laid back and just lets everybody pick on eachother. They all come to talk to me because they feel comfortable doing so compared to the rest of the senior members. This cadet doesn't mind when I correct the people that pick on her, but when it's her time I get called all sorts of names.

<Mod Edit: Was that necessary?>

alexalvarez

If you a have a have a chaplain, it might be a good idea to have the chaplain speak with the cadet. Sometimes cadets will tell chaplains things that they would not tell anyone else.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Eclipse

I think the advice above about letting the Commander(s) handle it is the correct answer.

Suggesting the Chaplain begin counseling or discussing this situation without the CC's blessing is inappropriate.  In all cases where a chaplain (or anyone else) feels counseling is needed the CC needs to be informed.  There is no lawyer-client privilege in CAP.

There's only two possibilities:

A) The Commander(s) are unaware, in which case should bring your concerns to them officially, probably in writing, and let them take the action they deem appropriate, which may or may not include your input.

B) The Commander(s) are fully aware and as you suggest don't feel they need to do anything.  In this case, its their call and why they make the big money.

The "C)" here involves you either going over the CC's head(s) - not "cricket" unless you honestly feel there is a Cadet Protection issue involved (in which case it is your duty)  - or finding a different unit if it is too much to bear.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

I think the cadets go to you because you are a young Senior Member and hey probably feel comfortable talking with you. But I agree with everyone else. Let their chain work out the issue. You can advise the chain on your perspective. But let them work it.

Eclipse,
WHat BIG money do commanders make? LOL

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 04, 2006, 08:39:10 AM
Eclipse,
WHat BIG money do commanders make? LOL

Didn't you know?  Unit Commanders receive an annual bonus which can be as much as 20% of their annual salary, which itself is increased by a factor of 10% upon being appointed to your post.

Now, granted, my accountant says there's some issue with a "percentage bonus based on a multiplier of zero", but I tend to leave the number crunching to the finance guys...

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

Yeah, I need to be a Commander then.

JAFO78

I guess they forgot to pay me back in 1987, I wonder what my check will be after all these years.

Maybe I can buy that big house with a pool, or better yet think of what kind of equipment I can my my squadron. OH BABY !!  ::)
JAFO

alexalvarez

Yes, the CC should handle the situation.  I never meant that a chaplain begin counseling or discussing the situation without the CC's blessing. Chaplains always work closely with the CC. 

The chaplain functions as the commander's staff officer and expert in religious and moral areas. (CAPP22, 3-1).

Chaplains assist commander by providing advice and assistance having to do with morals, morale, and religion. (CAPP 22, 1-4.c)

The Civil Air Patrol Chaplain Service promotes moral leadership, spiritual care and character development throughout CAP Senior Member and Cadet programs. (CAPR 265-1, 2.b)

State laws define what is considered confidential communication within their jurisdiction. Each clergy person should know what constitutes confidential communication with the state he or she does their ministry.

I just pray that the situation which has been describe will be addressed in a caring and sensitive manner and that it will be resolved. 

God bless you all.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014