Main Menu

Dyslesic Senior Member

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, March 20, 2013, 01:53:40 PM

lordmonar

The ADA states "reasonable" accomidations.

Just as I said in my first post......sometimes the accomidations are just too onerous and we are free to say "sorry we can't help you" or "you can be a member but you can't do ES".

As for ramps and handicap access......if we (CAP) own the building/hanger....then yes we need to meet the code for public accomidations.....if we use someone else's building...then no...it is their building...which gets CAP off the hook for most things as most CAP units don't actually own the building they use.....even if they have exclusive use of said building.

Again....CAP regs said we will follow federal guidlines for membership and accomidations.

And again.......with the OP in mind.....we need to work with the member, with his normal support lines (theripists, family, teachers).  We need to ask for ASSISTANCE from wing/group/national for ideas and tools to help us.

If in the long run...it just can't be done......well then we it just can't be done...and everybody parts ways on good terms.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

West MI-CAP-Ret

I, at least, can gratefully write, our wing commander got involved with wadding through some floatsam regarding my Multiple Sclerosis.  Essentially, he made us both responsible, I.e. I had to produce a letter from my doctors regarding outlining my limitations and the group had to make all reasonable accommodations to facilitate my level of participation in the organization.

So far, I've been rescued from an obusive environment, to one of friendly professionalism.

MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^ :clap: :clap:

And that's the way to do it...working together, instead of against each other.

Props to both you and your wingco for your enlightened approach!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

flyboy53

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 20, 2013, 01:53:40 PM
OK, how to help a Senior Member with a reading disorder?  They got through the Level 1 section, but then I get a phone call that they looked at the FEMA Courses, Safety, ORM, GES, etc., and said the amount of reading is too much.  "They joined the CAP to do ES and want to get to the hands on stuff and they learn by doing but not reading, and maybe they need to quit CAP".

I have so far pointed them in the direction of various PowerPoint slides and other resources but I am not going to take the tests for them.  So anyone have some ideas for me?  I really don't want to lose a member.

Despite the path that this thread took, the true suggestion should have been to advise the commander of the issue and let the commander communicate with higher headquarters to determine what accomodations would be made to help the senior member.

I would rather see us trying to help the individual succeed. We are after all, volunteers in a private federally-chartered not-for-profit organization that is supposed to follow federal law, and that means that we have certain responsibilities to accomodate individuals with disabilities.

Having been in two units with individuals with disabilities, it is our responsibility to give these individuals a fighting chance to participate.  I am aware of a young woman who never got beyond first lieutenant because of her disaibilty, but that never stopped her from participating in important leadership positions and pursing a successful career as a teacher at the same time. By the way, she got to that rank not because of progression through the senior member training program; she earned an Earhart Award as a cadet.

I have a son with this issue an am very aware of the process in school. My son ultimately was a AEM for several years before his job took in another direction.

We are an organization that is supposed to be all-encompassing of others, especially those who are not able to serve our Country through the traditional means. Don't use this forum to discriminate against them.

arajca

Federal agencies (i.e. FEMA) have a requirement to provide training materials for people with disabilities if they have versions for the general public. They may not make the materials available online, but if you contact them, they may already have appropriate training materials avilable for the asking.

IRT the CAP training courses, contact National. They may have had requests for it, or you may jar them into developing appropriate training materials.

Of course, if the member's attitude is they can only learn through skills based training, no amount of accomdation may help them with knowledge based training.

Private Investigator

Quote from: DemonOps on March 24, 2013, 05:06:32 AM
I, at least, can gratefully write, our wing commander got involved with wadding through some floatsam regarding my Multiple Sclerosis.  Essentially, he made us both responsible, I.e. I had to produce a letter from my doctors regarding outlining my limitations and the group had to make all reasonable accommodations to facilitate my level of participation in the organization.

So far, I've been rescued from an obusive environment, to one of friendly professionalism.

I am glad to hear about a positive outcome.

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on March 23, 2013, 09:59:23 PMFirst, what made him "scary-looking?" 

Scary is what scary does.

It is a police thing and 50% of the population do not get it. JMHO after 30+ years in law enforcement   8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 24, 2013, 11:13:14 PM
Scary is what scary does.

So what did this person do that made him "scary?"

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 24, 2013, 11:13:14 PM
It is a police thing and 50% of the population do not get it. JMHO after 30+ years in law enforcement   8)

I have never been a police officer.  However, I have a good friend who grew up just as much a street rat as I was and is now a Sheriff's detective who has done a lot of undercover work.  He would be the first to admit his instincts are not infallible.

After all, one can be mugged just as easily by someone slickly-dressed.

That's not to say what you postulate is without merit.  About 25 years ago a friend of mine and I were in inner-city Indianapolis.  While parked checking directions, this individual came lurching toward our car calling something unintelligible.  We cleared out of there at warp 9.

Using that instinct as a police officer is no doubt useful in most circumstances.  Using it to determine one's character or behaviour in a CAP context can be dodgy.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

billford1

If the individual really want's to do ES it may take them a while. One individual I know of struggled with the GT stuff but when we had an exercise to go to he was the one person showed up and he was enthusiastic. If they feel awkward and self conscious just be patient. With a paper copy of the GT Task Guide the work instructions are right there and there's less to memorize. The guy went to NESA and came back more self confident having achieved GTM3. The important thing is the guy didn't give up and I was careful to encourage him. When people show up I'll take who I can get if I can determine that they will not present a risk. If it takes longer to train them I'm okay with that. We have lots of air crew but not many GT folks. I'm glad when I can call someone and they will not have to prioritize between a mission and some other commitment they may have.