Aircrew Basic Wings on Shirt - Scanner

Started by zippy, July 19, 2019, 06:10:43 AM

zippy

Does someone that is a qualified scanner get to wear the Aircrew Basic wings on the golf shirt? Vanguard has a drop-down for this shirt. Is aircrew basic the one for a scanner?
This is the shirt:
https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-male-golf-shirt-with-seal-uniform?variant=1153574696

SarDragon

I suppose you can, if you have no aspirations of any qualifications past that, like Mission Observer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

zippy

Quote from: SarDragon on July 19, 2019, 06:17:42 AM
I suppose you can, if you have no aspirations of any qualifications past that, like Mission Observer.
Can someone wear the basic wing if he advances to observer and higher, or is there a rule against it?

CAP9907

Sure can, as long as you were qualified as a MS at one point
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

N6RVT

Quote from: zippy on July 19, 2019, 06:10:43 AMDoes someone that is a qualified scanner get to wear the Aircrew Basic wings on the golf shirt? Vanguard has a drop-down for this shirt. Is aircrew basic the one for a scanner?
This is the shirt:
https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-male-golf-shirt-with-seal-uniform?variant=1153574696

I did.  I still wear it, the qualification still shows in Eservices.  By the time you move to higher ratings usually everybody knows you.

Eclipse

So observer is "aspirational" now?

CAP exists in a world of rhetoric about sensor packages and AP sorties, yet for some reason the GIBs,
who are often doing the actual mission work get left in the head.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Why do you guys keep taking Zippy's bait? ::)

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2019, 01:05:16 PM

So observer is "aspirational" now?

CAP exists in a world of rhetoric about sensor packages and AP sorties, yet for some reason the GIBs,
who are often doing the actual mission work get left in the head.

Not what I said at all. Some folks are content to be the GIB, and have no plans to move up front. However, being qualified as an MO certainly adds value to being the GIB. For those content folks, go ahead and get your AC wings embroidered on your shirt.

However comma if you plan on moving up, spending the bucks on a shirt you might only wear for six months seems like a waste of money.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Okayish Aviator

Don't forget the wear of aviation badges are mandatory.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Quote from: DocJekyll on July 25, 2019, 10:40:36 PM
Don't forget the wear of aviation badges are mandatory.

On USAF combinations.  The question was asked about the golf shirt

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Blanding

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on July 25, 2019, 11:48:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2019, 10:45:23 PM
On USAF combinations.
... and the Corporate Field Uniform.

CAPM 39-1 5.2.1.4.6 says "Two Aviation or Occupational badges...may be worn..."

Is there a different place where the manual states they're mandatory on the corporate field uniform?

LSThiker

Quote from: Blanding on July 26, 2019, 06:34:42 PM
On USAF combinations.

Is there a different place where the manual states they're mandatory on the corporate field uniform?

Keep reading:

Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the
highest position.

Quote from: zippy on July 19, 2019, 06:19:47 AM
Can someone wear the basic wing if he advances to observer and higher, or is there a rule against it?

As far as wearing aircrew wings or observer wings:
QuoteWhen more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one badge representing the highest CAP aeronautical rating (pilot before observer) will be worn.

Blanding

Quote from: LSThiker on July 26, 2019, 07:04:26 PM
Keep reading:
highest position.

Ah - thanks for that! I missed it on the first read through.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: LSThiker on July 26, 2019, 07:04:26 PM
Quote from: Blanding on July 26, 2019, 06:34:42 PM
On USAF combinations.

Keep reading:

highest position.

Quote from: zippy on July 19, 2019, 06:19:47 AM

As far as wearing aircrew wings or observer wings:
QuoteWhen more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one badge representing the highest CAP aeronautical rating (pilot before observer) will be worn.

Whoa! Are you quoting CAPM 39-1 5.2.1.4.6 when you state that pilot is higher than observer?  Because I didn't see that there. Or is that your personal interpretation?

Is a pilot higher than a Master Observer? If a Senior Pilot also has a rating of Air Crew and is no longer current as a pilot, should he wear the wings for the job he is doing or the one he used to do, on the basis of one being higher than the other?

If I hold ratings as  Pilot, Master Air Crew, Glider Pilot and Senior Observer, is Pilot still my "highest" aeronautical rating? Or is the choice up to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

Don't confuse "importance" with "highest award".

Sure, pilot is important. Observer too.

However, in this instance, the term "highest" denotes the level (basic, senior, master). You'd wear the badge with the star or star-and-toilet-seat above the basic badge.

Now if you have two basic badges (or two of the same level), which one goes higher? Like Southwest airlines says during the preflight briefing on oxygen mask wear when traveling with two kids: "pick the one you love the most."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

N6RVT

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 27, 2019, 11:31:30 AMIs a pilot higher than a Master Observer?
About a year from now I will be both.  I will make VFR Pilot and Master Observer about the same time.

I still have my aircrew & basic observer polo shirts and still use both.  Eservices shows the rating as still valid, they don't revoke the lower rating when you move up.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 26, 2019, 06:04:40 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 27, 2019, 11:31:30 AMIs a pilot higher than a Master Observer?
About a year from now I will be both.  I will make VFR Pilot and Master Observer about the same time.

Where does this "VFR Pilot" come from? I keep seeing it but it is not based on any document that pertains to aeronautical ratings. There is no aeronautical rating with that name. The rating is simply "Pilot." That rating can be held by pilots limited to flying VFR, or it can be held by pilots with IFR ratings or pilots holding ATP certificates.  Any of them would hold the rating of "Pilot" unless and until they met the hour requirement and time in rating requirements.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

NovemberWhiskey

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 26, 2019, 09:39:04 PM

Ops Quals?

CAP is clearly confused on this point and has passed that confusion on to some of the membership.

Ops quals has no bearing on the issue. Those are qualifications to do certain things.  Awarding aeronautical ratings isn't one of them; neither is making up titles for aeronautical ratings. And, there are lots of CAP members holding the Aeronautical rating of Pilot who do not participate in Ops for a variety of reasons. That doesn't make them "non VFR pilots" any more than participating in ops makes those holding the aeronautical rating of Pilot into "VFR pilots."