Air Force Flying Class I Medical satisfactory for CAP?

Started by all around pilot, January 13, 2020, 11:38:54 PM

all around pilot

Air Force pilots with a current Flying Class I medical(Air Force medical required to be an Air Force pilot) are able to use that to satisfy FAR 61.23(b)(9), which says:

QuoteA person is not required to hold a medical certificate when a military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and the flight does not require higher than a third-class medical certificate; and the flight conducted is a domestic flight operation within U.S. airspace.

However, the CAPR 70-1 makes no mention of this. It just says that a FAA class III medical is required. Has anyone ran into this where an active Air Force pilot uses his Flying Class I medical to satisfy a Class III FAA medical requirement to fly for CAP?

rltw2017

Current military flight physicals more than satisfy the requirement, even though CAPR 70-1 (foolishly) doesn't say that it does. FAA physical requirements are the point of reference for in depth issues, not CAPR 70-1, which means that 70-1 defers to the FAA to decide whether someone has satisfactorily met medical requirements for aviation positions.
TSgt, CAP
SSG, INARNG
Former 3/75 Ranger Battalion
Why won't my back stop hurting.

PHall

Check to see if your Base Flight Surgeon is an FAA Medical Examiner. If they are then have them submit your Flight Physical to the FAA.
I know that most of our Flight Docs we had in the Air Force Reserve were. Otherwise you get to pay to get your Class III.

SarDragon

I did the same thing when I was in the Navy, but that was many years ago.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NovemberWhiskey

A "Military Flight Physical Exam" is one of the options that will satisfy the medical requirement in Ops Quals.

rltw2017

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on January 14, 2020, 08:00:47 AM
A "Military Flight Physical Exam" is one of the options that will satisfy the medical requirement in Ops Quals.

This is what I was getting at. Apologies if I was unclear.
TSgt, CAP
SSG, INARNG
Former 3/75 Ranger Battalion
Why won't my back stop hurting.

Flying Pig

Even if you're a military pilot, if you fly civilian Part 91, which CAP is, you need an FAA Flight Physical.    So although it may satisfy some CAP check box, you cant fly without the $120 doctor visit.  You are still going to pay for the visit, unless you find a military doctor also happens to be an FAA designee and opts to not charge you. 

NovemberWhiskey

I'd be interested to hear the basis of that assertion. Part 61 says that US armed forces pilots with current military medical do not need to hold a medical certificate if exercising privileges that require only a third-class medical in US airspace. This is surely 99.9% of CAP flying?

QuoteFAR Part 61.23 (b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate -
(9) When a military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and -
(i) The flight does not require higher than a third-class medical certificate; and
(ii) The flight conducted is a domestic flight operation within U.S. airspace.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

No; but military pilots with current military medicals do not need civilian medicals to operate as private pilots, in US airspace, for Part 91 operations, including Civil Air Patrol.

If you disagree, please at least cite why.

all around pilot

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 15, 2020, 03:21:43 PM
Even if you're a military pilot, if you fly civilian Part 91, which CAP is, you need an FAA Flight Physical.    So although it may satisfy some CAP check box, you cant fly without the $120 doctor visit.  You are still going to pay for the visit, unless you find a military doctor also happens to be an FAA designee and opts to not charge you.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2020, 10:59:28 PM
CAP  members are not flying as "military pilots".

Read the reg I posted in my original post.

all around pilot

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on January 14, 2020, 08:00:47 AM

Thanks for the post man! That's what I wanted to know.

farsightusf2017

The FAR does specify that only the Flight physicals that Pilots get count. The physicals for Navigators, Air Battle Managers, Air Crew, and such do not meet the criteria

Eclipse

Quote from: all around pilot on January 16, 2020, 12:08:39 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 15, 2020, 03:21:43 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2020, 10:59:28 PM
CAP  members are not flying as "military pilots".

Read the reg I posted in my original post.

Exactly - 70-1 makes no mention of this and CAP is, of course, free to raise the bar.

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

The regulation says (CAPR 70-1 section 4) "All CAP pilots must hold a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) pilot certificate (private pilot or higher, except for student pilots) and a medical certificate (or current driver's license and medical education course completion certificate if operating under BasicMed) appropriate to the level of privileges to be exercised" (emphasis is mine)

Consider gliders. Do you think those words in that regulation require CAP glider pilots to have a medical certificate? They don't. This is because exercising the privileges of a private pilot in a glider does not require a medical certificate, FAR 61.23(b)(3).

Military pilots with current flight physicals also do not require a medical certificate to exercise the privileges of a private pilot, FAR 61.23(b)(9).

So the regulation does not require them to have one. Any other conclusion seems quite obtuse.

all around pilot

Quote from: farsightusf2017 on January 16, 2020, 12:21:34 AM
The FAR does specify that only the Flight physicals that Pilots get count. The physicals for Navigators, Air Battle Managers, Air Crew, and such do not meet the criteria

I will refer you to my original question:

QuoteHas anyone ran into this where an active Air Force pilot uses his Flying Class I medical to satisfy a Class III FAA medical requirement to fly for CAP?

all around pilot

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2020, 12:48:32 AMExactly - 70-1 makes no mention of this and CAP is, of course, free to raise the bar.

Well, if "Military Flight Physical Exam" is listed as an option for it Ops Qual as NW says, leads me to believe CAP is ok with it?

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: all around pilot on January 16, 2020, 01:57:44 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2020, 12:48:32 AMExactly - 70-1 makes no mention of this and CAP is, of course, free to raise the bar.

Well, if "Military Flight Physical Exam" is listed as an option for it Ops Qual as NW says, leads me to believe CAP is ok with it?

Regulations don't always coexist with their implementation. This is literally the basis for Quality/Safety Assurance (i.e., "What does the standard require? Does the implementation of that standard match stated processes and procedures?")

An IT function does not necessarily mean it matches the book.

You could comb through eServices and find all kinds of nonsense. That doesn't mean it's ill-intended, but maybe poorly interfaced.

NovemberWhiskey

NHQ director of Stan/Eval confirms that it is accepted as I said above. Happy to forward the email to anyone who needs it.

PhotogPilot

So, if I read it correctly, I can operate under BasicMed?  I've been out of the flying and CAP worlds for the last seven years, a lot of the FARs and CAP regs are part of a pretty steep learning curve to get back up to speed.  If I can fly under BasicMed, great, but getting a Class II or III Medical isn't really an issue either (120 pounds of weight loss have solved A LOT of problems). 

goblin

I will refer you to my original question:

QuoteHas anyone ran into this where an active Air Force pilot uses his Flying Class I medical to satisfy a Class III FAA medical requirement to fly for CAP?
[/quote]

I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Quote from: PHall on January 14, 2020, 04:03:11 AMCheck to see if your Base Flight Surgeon is an FAA Medical Examiner. If they are then have them submit your Flight Physical to the FAA.
I know that most of our Flight Docs we had in the Air Force Reserve were. Otherwise you get to pay to get your Class III.

Yeap, when I flew in the ANG, every USAF Flight Physical netted me an FAA Class II also.

The airline guys still had to pay for their Class I physicals, as USAF Flight Surgeons could only give Class II or Class III FAA medicals.

BTW, things may have changed, but when I went in, a Flying Class 1 Flight Physical was only needed for selection and admission into UPT.  Once you arrived at UPT, you received a Flying Class 2 physical on day 2 or 3, and annually there after.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"