the factor

Started by Daniel, July 11, 2009, 03:06:19 AM

Daniel

Something is eating me up inside lately and i know you guys, aren't here for my emotional support but here it goes...

It started on the way to encampment, I rode with another cadets folks, and something they said flew in one ear and became a time bomb.

Something to the extent of  "She was thinking of going to hawk mountain but you probably couldn't due to your condition. "

which is starting to sink in more and more.
as you may know, I have mild cerebral palsy that may drastically affect my cadet career
I mean at encampment, I couldn't drill very long and the tac officer pretty well had to be a driver for me 6 times outta 10.
Also I cant do Pt.

Who's gonna want a flight commander/sergeant  that cant drill very well as he cant feel his left ankle in a boot or do pt? or even not encampment things ie. being a ground team member?
Or participating in NCSA's?
I'm starting to think academics, (which I'm clinging too as a strong point) Is never going to be enough to pull me through this one.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Yes, there are going to be things you can't do, or will have more difficulty doing versus other cadets.  So what?  Rather than dwelling on what you don't think you can do, work on the things you are good at.

There's a lot more to being a leader than drill or hiking.

Look at people like Roosevelt, Hawking, or others with amazing intellect that changed the world, yet had very serious physical limitations.

Accepting the reality of your situation and moving forward from it might be the most valuable lesson CAP can teach you.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Can't drill very well myself, but I know the drill well enough to drill others.
Was a flight commander and later C/CD of my squadron. 
Was the cadet safety officer as encampment staff.
Was a ground team member with two non-distress finds.
Didn't do an NCSA... considered COS though.
Fitness Category III then, now known as Category IV.

...Oh and I have CP too, so...

Edit:  And you need to learn to chill... or you are going to drive yourself out of the program.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Daniel L on July 11, 2009, 03:06:19 AM
Something is eating me up inside lately and i know you guys, aren't here for my emotional support but here it goes...

It started on the way to encampment, I rode with another cadets folks, and something they said flew in one ear and became a time bomb.

Something to the extent of  "She was thinking of going to hawk mountain but you probably couldn't due to your condition. "

as you may know, I have mild cerebral palsy that may drastically affect my cadet career
I mean at encampment, I couldn't drill very long and the tac officer pretty well had to be a driver for me 6 times outta 10.
Also I cant do Pt.

Who's gonna want a flight commander/sergeant  that cant drill very well as he cant feel his left ankle in a boot or do pt? or even not encampment things ie. being a ground team member?
I'm starting to think academics, (which I'm clinging too as a strong point) Is never going to be enough to pull me through this one.

There's a great line in The Shawshank Redemption that says, "You can get busy living, or you can get busy dying."  While, not quite the level you're at, still a great way to put things into perspective for yourself.

You can either feel sorry for yourself because of your condition and enable that disability to make all your decisions for you, or, you can use it as an advantage. 

Because you have a physical disability, doesn't mean that you can't be a good leader or source of inspiration.  Look at Stephen Hawking, one of the greatest minds of our time.  He has ALS and can only move a portion of one hand.  Despite that, he is a leader in his scientific community, a source of inspiration to others with disabilities, etc.  He is a LEADER!

While it's true that there are some things that you just won't be able to do, there are plenty that you can.  Some activities just aren't going to be able to make reasonable accomodations for your needs, but that is OK.  Others you'll be able to do without any accommodation whatsoever.

If anything, you'll show the whiny spoiled kids who want everything handed to them that sometimes you need to work just a bit harder to get what you want. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

Concentrate on what you can do and not what you can't.  You've already been to encampment, so you've met the requirement for your Mitchell award.  It takes more than flight sergeants and flight commanders to run an encampment, there are a lot of jobs that don't require you to spend all your time on the drill pad.  Why not take one of them on and do the best job you possibly can.  You say you can't do GT stuff but there is nothing stopping you from being an MRO, Comm Unit Leader, Mission Staff assistant etc.  When you turn 18 you can also be a Scanner, Observer or any of the other Mission Staff jobs that need to be done.  Find one you like and do the best job you can.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NIN

Quote from: MIKE on July 11, 2009, 03:31:22 AM
Can't drill very well myself, but I know the drill well enough to drill others.
Was a flight commander and later C/CD of my squadron. 
Was the cadet safety officer as encampment staff.
Was a ground team member with two non-distress finds.
Didn't do an NCSA... considered COS though.
Fitness Category III then, now known as Category IV.

...Oh and I have CP too, so...

Edit:  And you need to learn to chill... or you are going to drive yourself out of the program.

And you can march, too, Mike (although, admittedly, not spectacularly so...<GRIN>), which is more than I can say of some seniors, CP or not!!!

Rock on, dude.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

I had a Sheriff Captain who used to say, "The knowledge is in the details."  The context he was giving it in was in a class for Law Enforcement Field Training Officers.  He was talking about how all fields have their "go to" people for the details. Some run fast, some can knock out a 100 push ups.  But in certain professions, the lack of understanding the details are what get you into trouble.  Immerse in the details and be the guy people go to for the details.  If you put out 100%, 100% of the time, nobody will fault you for the things you have difficulty doing.  The cadet program can deal with your issues.  Keep trucking along and do your part.

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

Quote from: Daniel L on July 11, 2009, 03:06:19 AM

Also I cant do Pt.

Daniel,

Please do not let one person's comment, which was likely made out of ignorance deter you from doing all you can in your life and cadet career. Will your CP impact your ability to do certain tasks in CAP? Yes. Will it prevent you from attending Hawk? Not necessarily. You need to speak with those in your squadron and your family physician about your interest and how you might be able to attend Hawk.

You ask who would want a flight commander/sergeant who can't drill? I would, because despite the limitations CP has placed on your body, you are giving your all to accomplish the task at hand. Doing your best and not allowing your condition to stop you demonstrates leadership qualities that cadets and senior members would benefit from.

I would strongly encourage you to work with those most familiar with your medical condition to find ways to do what you want as a cadet. I hope that you are feeling emotionally better since you posted this thread and wish you well in your CAP career.
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol