The FCUP and why cadets should request them immediately

Started by jimmydeanno, September 19, 2008, 03:17:10 PM

jimmydeanno

I was forwarded this e-mail from someone who had inquired about some FCUP rules/premise behind it.  I'm not sure what the inital question was, but think that many of the thing in here are interesting and sad at the same time.

Sir,

In the cadet regulation, CAP promises a free cadet uniform (FCU) to each cadet upon joining, if funds are available. In recent years, CAP has annually budgeted about $500k for that purpose, making the FCU program the #1 expenditure in the Cadet Program.

We do this because empirical data and common sense tells us that outfitting a cadet right away is essential in "indoctrinating" cadets, in the best sense of that word. 

I do not understand why a commander would want to prevent a cadet from enjoying the benefits CAP is trying to provide them. So many moms and dads are struggling financially today. CAP is able to help outfit new cadets if only local leaders will point them toward the FCU program.

The sad news is that in the fiscal year that ends a few days from now, we will have left $213k in FCU money on the table. In other words, in FY08 the USAF and CAP wanted to spend $506k for FCUs --  even then, that would've been enough for only 50% of all new cadets -- and yet we'll spend just $306k, letting $213k vanish forever! When we fail to execute our budgets like this, it makes it that much harder to obtain funding for other things that can help cadets.

We need to get cadets into uniform right away. We have the funds to do it. All we ask of commanders is that they support their cadets by helping them take advantage of this wonderful benefit.

I hope this reply has helped answer your question. Thank you for volunteering to support the cadets.

Sincerely,

Curt LaFond
Chief, Cadet Programs
CAP National Headquarters

So if we aren't spending the alloted money, the data above is telling us that only about 1/4 of our new cadets are recieving free uniforms.  Why aren't commander's requesting them?  Everything above makes pretty good common sense to me.

What the heck is going on? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

arajca

It is up to the cadet and their parents to request them, not the commanders. My 'home' unit does not have internet access, so we can't order them ata meeting. My commander gives each new cadet and their parents an instruction sheet on how to order the uniform. He tells them to call him if they have a problem and he will walk them through the process. He tracks who has ordered the uniform and keeps reminding those who have not. I think many other commanders do the same. There is a limit as to how much you can do for a new cadet - if they won't take the responsibility to order the uniform, they're out of luck.

capchiro

As a commander, I didn't know that we had the option not to order them.  Once I collect from the parents and send in the application, the uniform is ordered.  It's part of the process.  It's part of the contract we have with the cadet when we sign them up.  It only takes a few minutes and you have made a new cadet very happy and perhaps a longer lasting cadet.  I don't understand why anyone would not order uniforms for the new cadets.  Can anyone explain??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

NIN

Well, over the last, what, 12-18 months, CAP went from the "CAPF 15 w/FCU voucher" (IOW, they all get turned in at once, so with membership, as long as the FCU voucher is filled out when it leave the sq, every cadet should get a uniform as long as the funding is there) to the "Once you're a member, you can go online and request your free uniform" thing via e-services (which, IMHO, is just asking for unspent money).

I'd be interested to see what percentage of cadets (and perhaps by Phase, if we can report that), actually have registered and logged into eServices.  I push eServices at my unit, and I bet that fully 7/8 of my Phase I cadets don't do it/can't do it.

My unit sizes cadets for uniforms and issues BDUs as part of the inprocessing process.  When the cadet pops up in eServices, my LG takes the uniform size data we captured and goes in and orders the FCU for each cadet.  That way we don't have to worry about mom screwing up the sizes, etc.

I'm betting that if my "FCU completion percentage" isn't 100%, its close to 99%.

I'm doing my part, darn it! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

The FCU request form used to be a paper portion of the Cadet Application.  It was right front and center when a cadet joined.  Now cadets or their squadron staff are expected to go onto E-Services and request it via the "Cadet Uniforms" module.  While I appreciate the electronic version, and I'm sure it saves NHQ data entry time, I'd bet money that a significant drop-off in requests came right around when they dropped the paper version.   I recall years when the funding ran out before the end of the FY and FCU requests had to be turned down.

People probably get frustrated trying to set-up an E-Services account (how many CAP members have never logged into ESvcs?  I'd bet lots) or just see that there's a lengthy process and don't bother.

As a Deputy Commander for Cadets, I had to request from our Wing WSA twice the ability to request uniforms for cadets that join my unit. I'd be willing to bet that I'm one of only a few DCC's in my Wing with the access to do that.  So what happens to most new cadets who don't have super-involved and up-to-the-minute CP staff and don't bother sign up for ESvcs?  They don't get a uniform.

Is it a shame?  Yep.  Perhaps cadets that don't request an FCU within a month of joining should get an email or a letter reminding them to do so.  It'd help use those funds, I bet.

Edit:  NIN beat me to a lot of the points I wanted to cover.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ned

Quote from: Pylon on September 19, 2008, 04:15:07 PMPerhaps cadets that don't request an FCU within a month of joining should get an email or a letter reminding them to do so.  

Great idea.

I'm on it.

Ned Lee

DC

If funds being spent isn't the issue, then why is it so difficult to get the FCUs? In the past 6 months my squadron has submitted 10+ requests, and maybe 3 cadets have actually gotten the uniform. What is the issue?

FW

I did hear, not too long ago, there were issues with getting uniforms in proper sizes from AAFES.  I don't know if the issued were resolved.  

LtCol057

One problem too is the sizes available. I've gotten 2 or 3 new cadets in this year that are too small for even the smallest sizes available.  I go ahead and order them anyway hoping they'll grow into them.

JoeTomasone

One of our Squadron Commanders mentioned to me a huge backlog in order processing while explaining to me why several new cadets were not in uniform.   Uniforms ordered in early July were just showing up in early Sept.

RiverAux

Gee, I'm a little disappointed in that email from NHQ.  I get the impression that he is blaming the membership for the failure of the program that he is in charge of.  The email idea is pretty good, though I would also copy the commander of the unit as well. 

But, better yet, why take it off the membership application in the first place?  That seems like the best way to handle it as it doesn't require any extra work on the part of anybody. 

The other reason I'm disappointed is to find out that about half of our cadet budget goes towards free uniforms.  I think that is a good use of money, I'm just surprised that so little beyond that is going towards stuff for the cadets to actually do once they have the uniform. 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2008, 08:07:23 PM
But, better yet, why take it off the membership application in the first place?  That seems like the best way to handle it as it doesn't require any extra work on the part of anybody. 

I would imagine it creates man-hours burdens at NHQ for manual data input from the paper forms -- which is likely why is was moved to an online form in the first place.

Frankly -- I think it should be 100% the unit commander's responsibility to enter the request.  Email the unit commander until the FCU request is put in.

Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2008, 08:07:23 PMThe other reason I'm disappointed is to find out that about half of our cadet budget goes towards free uniforms.  I think that is a good use of money, I'm just surprised that so little beyond that is going towards stuff for the cadets to actually do once they have the uniform. 

We only get what the Air Force wants to fund, and what membership dues will cover.  :-\

RiverAux

I just get disappointed when I read that the average amount spend on JROTC students is over $600 per year. 

NC Hokie

Quote from: Pylon on September 19, 2008, 08:11:14 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2008, 08:07:23 PM

I would imagine it creates man-hours burdens at NHQ for manual data input from the paper forms -- which is likely why is was moved to an online form in the first place.

Frankly -- I think it should be 100% the unit commander's responsibility to enter the request.  Email the unit commander until the FCU request is put in.

Well then, put it back on the application and have a spot for the unit commander to certify that the uniform order was entered into the system.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

brasda91

Quote from: Pylon on September 19, 2008, 04:15:07 PM

People probably get frustrated trying to set-up an E-Services account (how many CAP members have never logged into ESvcs?  I'd bet lots) or just see that there's a lengthy process and don't bother.

Just this past Tuesday night, one of my cadets set up his eServices account.  The hardest impossible part will be if the cadet doesn't know his/her SSN.  Other than that, the few questions were easy to answer.  He logged into eServices with the temp. password, the system forced him to create a new password and he was done.  Easy!!  There is no reason any cadet can't do this.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

jimmydeanno

I don't think that commander's necessarily have to input every single uniform. However, I do believe that it is the commander's responsibility to ensure that an ACTIVE effort is being made to really emphasize how great of a benefit this is and ensure that cadet's are taking part in it.

It is one thing to hand them a piece of paper and say "good luck," but we have the responsibility to take care of our cadets and make sure that they get the most out of the program they can.

Not allowing cadets to take advantage of this program until later on I think is largely detremental.  It makes the cadets not feel welcome or part of the team, reduces morale in the unit and I think is largely insulting and angering to parents of those same cadets.  If the cadet has the possibility of recieving a free uniform immediately upon joining (which is the way the program is designed) but not told about it until later - the parents go and buy a uniform only to be told later they could have had one for free.  Then, they aren't going to send for one because they already have it.

I think the ACTIVE part is the most crucial.  You can't just sit back and hope that people take advantage of the program, these members are new, they need guidance.  They are usually around 12, they probably need a reminder since they've had all sorts of new information crammed into their heads and it might have slipped through. 

Good Luck :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DNall

Quote from: NIN on September 19, 2008, 04:14:21 PM
Well, over the last, what, 12-18 months, CAP went from the "CAPF 15 w/FCU voucher" (IOW, they all get turned in at once, so with membership, as long as the FCU voucher is filled out when it leave the sq, every cadet should get a uniform as long as the funding is there) to the "Once you're a member, you can go online and request your free uniform" thing via e-services (which, IMHO, is just asking for unspent money).

Exactly!!! eServices has a learning curve for all our members. That's a big reason why we have such trouble with things like FCU & GES in particular (and increasingly lvl I). Those should never have been delivered like that. That was a very bad decision, and this is the result.

Sleepwalker

Quote from: DC on September 19, 2008, 04:47:24 PM
If funds being spent isn't the issue, then why is it so difficult to get the FCUs? In the past 6 months my squadron has submitted 10+ requests, and maybe 3 cadets have actually gotten the uniform. What is the issue?

DC:  I am with you!  ALL of our Cadets' parents are given instructions on ordering these uniforms (and almost all do) yet only a few actually get them.  So how can they have money left over for this?  I don't get it, either.  This has been a mystery to our Squadron for many years now.     
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

DC

Quote from: Sleepwalker on September 22, 2008, 02:23:16 PM
Quote from: DC on September 19, 2008, 04:47:24 PM

DC:  I am with you!  ALL of our Cadets' parents are given instructions on ordering these uniforms (and almost all do) yet only a few actually get them.  So how can they have money left over for this?  I don't get it, either.  This has been a mystery to our Squadron for many years now.     
We don't even leave it to the parents. We have a night for new cadets where we measure them and order them ourselves. It just makes it easier to make sure it gets done as soon as possible.

Sleepwalker

DC,

Thanks for the tip!  We may try doing that ourselves if you have had better luck doing it that way.   
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

Pylon

Quote from: Sleepwalker on September 22, 2008, 04:26:33 PM
DC,

Thanks for the tip!  We may try doing that ourselves if you have had better luck doing it that way.   

We do the same here.

On membership in-processing night, we take applications & checks for new members.  They go through several stations (paperwork, uniforms, photo, etc.).  They try on blues from our existing stock of uniforms for size, and it gets recorded on a sheet.  When the membership applications process and the recruits show up in E-services, I just need to grab that sheet and enter a handful of FCU requests.  Takes about 10-20 minutes depending how many you have.

NIN

The old FCU process was a "push":  the user (cadet) requested the FCU as part of their new member paperwork (CAPF 15) and it went to NHQ and "pushed"  the process.  

The current process is a "pull," in that expects the user (cadet or parents) to take action to instantiate the FCU process.   A push process is often event driven, where as a pull process often waits for either time or user action to start.  

There is a lot of room for error with a "pull" when you're expecting a 13 year old cadet to do it.  Or his 35 year old mom who is not terribly computer-literate.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.