Test vs. "Street" Knowledge-Milestone Promotions

Started by cratayczak471634, March 31, 2011, 05:59:30 AM

cratayczak471634

Okay, so I've noticed this is a problem within my squadron and was wondering what y'all thought. In my squadron, if cadets pass the tests and promotion boards and everything, they promote no problem. But their actual bearing as a cadet is never examined. For example, a C/CMSgt in my squadron has a very bad uniform, is not professional and doesn't understand the role of an officer. Then he took his tests, gave his speech and was promoted to the grade of C/2dLt. Does anyone else think that this was a cadet that wasn't ready to be an officer? This is really starting to bug me, and I was wondering if I was the only one. So maybe we can get a discussion started on this forum about this? Thanks all.
Cassie Ratayczak, C/CMSgt, CAP,
Cadet First Sergeant,
Bellingham Composite Squadron

C: 360.305.5090
E: flightsurgeon97@gmail.com

tsrup

First, openly bad mouthing a cadet in your squadron with your squadron charter number plainly listed is a quick way to lose friends. 

Second, addressing the broad question and not necessarily your question in particular, but I feel that it is important to have boards complete with CAPF 50 feedback at each milestone achievement at the very least.

As for your situation, no one will be able to give you a direct answer without hearing all sides of the situation.
Paramedic
hang-around.

BillB

The first item on the Form 50 is appearance. If your cadet has the sloppy uniform mark it since the cadet sees the form after the Board. The idea of the Form 50 is to allow the cadet to see his weakness's and be able to correct the errors.
As far as lack of leadership knowledge, that is a fairly commin problem. Cadets learn at their own pace and often depends on the Squadrons learning environments. The DCC should work with the cadet staff to increase leadership training. More often than not, the cadets have not been exposed to various examples of leadership. If the Wing offers a CLS or even a weekend type CLS, much of the lack of leadership can be corrected. I've seen Groups run their own Cadet Leadership Schools designed for C/Chiefs and above to provide leadership training. There is no reason a Squadron can't do the same by bringing in cadet leaders from other Squadrons for such training. 
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Paul Creed III

At my home squadron, flight staff must complete a Form 50 for every achievement for those cadets eligible for promotion. Lots of paperwork, sure; but the ability to ensure all cadets are truly ready for promotion is the key benefit.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

coudano

cadets ought not make it out of phase 1 if they don't have 'satisfactory' uniform, customs/courtesies, drill execution, participation/attendance, and attitude.  Those are the basics...  how can you lead others to do these things if you can't or won't do them yourself?   A cadet NCO or Officer that is showing unsat in any of those categories is a sign of poor administration at the squadron (or possible regression on the part of the cadet, but more often it's on the squadron)

MSG Mac

Quote from: cratayczak471634 on March 31, 2011, 05:59:30 AM
Okay, so I've noticed this is a problem within my squadron and was wondering what y'all thought. In my squadron, if cadets pass the tests and promotion boards and everything, they promote no problem. But their actual bearing as a cadet is never examined. For example, a C/CMSgt in my squadron has a very bad uniform, is not professional and doesn't understand the role of an officer. Then he took his tests, gave his speech and was promoted to the grade of C/2dLt. Does anyone else think that this was a cadet that wasn't ready to be an officer? This is really starting to bug me, and I was wondering if I was the only one. So maybe we can get a discussion started on this forum about this? Thanks all.

Have you brought this problem up to your Chain of Command? If not please do. They should accept your criticism and work on fixing the problem. Has anyone approached or counseled the Cadet in question about his uniform issues, and how to correct them? Why don't you take him aside and tell him that he has to fix up his uniform. It might solve the problem at the lowest level without causing him any grief. I'm sure you don't want your trash put out on the street like you just did to him
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

sneakers

At least at my squadron, promotion boards are tough enough that the situation you're in wouldn't fly. Plenty of merely mediocre cadets in my squadron have failed to promote based on a poor uniform, slopply bearing, or inprofessional attitude that was sternly addressed by a board.

ES Ninja

Our promotion boards are held by the cadet executive staff, with a senior member in attendance. Then we give our recommendation to our squadron commander. When we review a cadet, we consider not only his performance during the board, but also since his last promotion. If he lacks proper military bearing, if his uniform is out of regs, if he hasn't attended regularly, if he does not render proper courtesies, etc., all these details are taken into account when making our recommendation on his promotion. The review board is essentially just some face-to-face time with each individual, as opposed to watching their progress from afar during the past two months. And yes, the purpose of review boards is to prevent cadets who have passed tests but are unprepared for the leadership requirements and such of their next rank, from promoting.
Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron