Standard UoD? I've got a plan...what's yours?

Started by Major Carrales, August 30, 2007, 05:26:06 AM

Major Carrales

Here is what I see...

There are so many uniform combos and types of people who wear different types of uniforms.  It makes it impossible for CAP members, even in the same squadron, to get the same items.  Unless a Squadron Commander, such as myself, "ordered" everyone...via squadron policy, to buy and wear one uniform.

Ideally, in the Carralesian Universe...
Quoteeveryone would start with one uniform..."minimum basic" (aka short sleeve blues).  Order your ribbons and wear them for formal events. 

The move on to a field/operational uniform (BDUs or Flight Suit) as one's next purchase.  When one makes Captain, order a long sleeve shirt with tie.

When one becomes a Major, get into service dress...service coat.  Every Lt Col Should own a Service CAP for formal occasions (like CAP Funerals and Wing Conferences)

MESS DRESS for Field Grade Officers (ideally), sort of quasi-mandatory for Colonels on up.  Optional in the company grades.

When to wear the stuff...

QuoteREGULAR MEETINGS:

Short Sleeve Shirt Combo- no ribbons (save recruiters and PAOs)
BDUs/Flight Suit- If need be.

SARex:

Flightcrews- Flight Suits
Ground Teams/COMM- BDUs
Mission Staff- Short Sleeve Combo

Class Environment (AKA SLS/CLC/UCC et al):

Students: Short Sleeve Shirt Combo- no ribbons (save recruiters and PAOs)
Instructors: Service Coats

WING/REGION/NATONAL Conferences

Company Grade: Short/Long Sleeve Combo (with tie where appropriate) with ribbons
Field Grade and General Grades: Service Coats

Banquets and Dinners
MESS DRESS or SERVICE DRESS

That is what I would suggest if I were in charge of the CAP Universe.  Those that know me will see common themes.  Feel free to disagree...won't matter, it all conjectural anyway.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Good Idea, I'll keep my ribbons on though.
<preparing for upcoming mentoring>
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Similar to your plan, as commander, I have made minimum requirements for members.

Initially, for cadets and seniors, I require BDUs.  Why BDUs?  Because I've always been involved with ES-heavy squadrons.  While we always meet the requirements of a squadron as it relates to AE and CP, the squadrons I've been involved with have always been very involved with ES.  Generally the guy who joins and is interested in ground search and rescue won't be showing up to the wing banquet during his first year of membership.  Same with cadets.

With BDUs, you can participate in more activities than you can with blues.  e.g., model rocketry, orientation flights, all aspects of emergency services, air shows, tours of military facilities, regular meetings, and so on.

Once they've acquired their complete set of BDUs, on to blues.  And like you, I require the basics.  Short sleeve blues.  For seniors, I don't even bring up the option of ribbons.  For cadets, I've always been in a situation where we had our own stock and for the first few stripes, we issue them ribbons.  I even paid for a cadet's ground team badge if they earned it, as I made a whole ceremony out of it.

That's it.  BDUs and short sleeve blues.

I haven't been a part of a command staff since the TPU, but before that, 90% of my seniors met weight and grooming standards and wore the AF style uniform.  I can only think of two that didn't at my last squadron.  One, our AE officer, only showed up on AE nights and wore the polo shirt combo because he had a beard (former Army officer).  The other, our MLO, didn't meet weight standards so she wore the aviator shirt.

There wasn't a major D&C requirement, but our seniors did form up at the closing formation so the entire squadron could hear the announcements at the same time in addition to recognizing folks for awards.  I have to say, it looked pretty good to have a flight of 6 to 10 seniors all wearing the UOD, same as the cadets.  Very big morale boost for everyone involved, especially me.

As for the "when".  Like you, if any of my seniors were to attend a PD course, they wore short sleeve blues or short sleeve aviator shirt.  Even my AE officer had the aviator shirt for "special occasions".  

If members chose to do so, I'd help them put together a service dress uniform.  But for special events like wing banquets, I'd simply tell them to wear appropriate civilian attire because it wasn't worth spending upwards to $250 for a uniform they'd only wear once a year at best.

Your idea of instructors wearing service dress, I disagree.  Respectfully of course.  I always thought it was a good idea for everyone to be in the same uniform.  It's like at squadron meetings you often find the cadet officers wanting to wear ties to separate them from the junior cadets.  As if their rank and position didn't do that already.  As an instructor, I can't think of how me wearing service dress would help the situation.  In college, I never saw a professor wear a suit; probably because it would be uncomfortable.  If I did wear a service coat, I'd probably take it off after 10 minutes of raising my arm to point at things on the board.

There's my $.02.
Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 05:37:47 AM

;)

I've got your back!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Stonewall

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 05:37:47 AM

So young and has so much to learn.
Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Stonewall on August 30, 2007, 05:51:12 AM

Your idea of instructors wearing service dress, I disagree.  Respectfully of course.  I always thought it was a good idea for everyone to be in the same uniform.

A simple difference of opinion...no harm shall come of it.

As a teacher, I see it through my training.  The Teachers, in my educational practice, dress one level above the students. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ricecakecm

If I were king of the world, we'd wear BDUs (BBDUs) and bags all the time, saving blues/aviator shirt combos for more special occasions.  But that's just me.

JayT

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 30, 2007, 05:54:43 AM

Your idea of instructors wearing service dress, I disagree.  Respectfully of course.  I always thought it was a good idea for everyone to be in the same uniform.

A simple difference of opinion...no harm shall come of it.

As a teacher, I see it through my training.  The Teachers, in my educational practice, dress one level above the students. 

Personnally, I don't believe that full service dress should be worn anytime other then formal occasions.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RogueLeader

I'd have to go with major Carrales, It is better for the Instructor to be better dressed than the students.  That is one of the things that they drill into you in becoming a Teacher :
Quote from: MyTeacherEdProfessors
You shall always dress to be at least one level above your students. 
While it is not quite as necessary for Seniors, I'd say needed for Cadets.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Trung Si Ma

As I contemplate a return to Squadron Commandership, I have been thinking about UOD more and more.  I'm thinking that the first meeting of the month (when we do the safety meeting, moral leadership, planning meetings, and awards) that I want everyone in a "dressy" uniform and am contemplating requiring the aviator shirt / gray slacks for seniors and the short sleeve blue shirt combo for the cadets.  Why the aviator shirt?  Because EVERY senior member can wear that uniform and it is (relatively) cheap to obtain. 

I'm even thinking of making ribbons required for that night.  Seniors will not have to wear all of their ribbons, but I want them to wear three (four if former cadet) to show that they are participating in all phases of the program.  Which three (four)?  Highest senior training award (we have several GRW's), highest aerospace award (we have people with the Crossfield Award), an ES award (find, SAR ribbon, disaster ribbon, CD Ribbon, etc), and if a former cadet, their highest cadet award ribbon.  Of course, if Rouge Leader wants to wear all of them, he will look splendiforous.

The other meeting nights, I'm happy if the seniors are in a uniform.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

RogueLeader

Only got 4 anyways. . . . :) :)
Not to mention I only have Blues.  And unless I REALLY start to gain serious weight, That is what I'll wear.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

I dunno... I always thought that Public Affairs shouldn't be in full bling because that's sort of bragging in front of cameras. They're usually not wearing ribbons in Air Force either.

Recruiters should always wear ribbons however, and blues whenever possible.

I think Mission Base staff should be in BDU's since they may be stationed in non-clean, non-a/c environment and/or required to move equpment, furniture, etc.

Aside from that... I think teachers and students should match uniforms. All CAP members at all activities should match uniforms. This isn't a civillian thing, it's a military thing. Uniforms aren't for good looks, they're for uniformity. Making exceptions for people in the military isn't a pleasant practice (for both parties) and is avoided whenever possible.

I also think aircrew members should be able to wear bags for meetings that are held at airports/air force bases/naval air stations/marine corps air stations, etc.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 07:08:22 PM
Not to mention I only have Blues.  And unless I REALLY start to gain serious weight, That is what I'll wear.
well... you could wear your Navy cammies, Admiral. You can just roll the sleeves the normal (Air Force) way.
GEORGE LURYE

RogueLeader

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 30, 2007, 07:11:10 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 07:08:22 PM
well... you could wear your Navy cammies, Admiral. You can just roll the sleeves the normal (Air Force) way.
lmao, rotf.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MidwaySix

I've got a growth spurt going on in my unit...

Most of the freshman class are joining up to fly as aircrew, (pilot and non-pilots) but I'm lucky in that many are showing a keen interest in getting cross trained as GTMs.

So here's the M6's *new* perfect universe scenario. Note that we have special circumstances, YMMV....

1. First off we sell them a $25 aviator shirt on their 3rd night after they pass their Membership Application Board. (We'll have some shirts in stock at the Squadron.) Tell them to wear that and the grey slacks that they already have in their closet, and as soon as their membership processes... bang! Dues + $25 = Ready to fly.

2. Then... BDUs. Ditto what Stonewall said about that. We've very ES heavy

3. Then... Flightsuit if they are going to be Aircrew.

4. Then... Blues. Short sleeve combo. (They'll need it when we ship them off to SLS.)

After that.. there are too many permutations to cover off on... as long as they follow reg.. have at it.

Corporate alternatives OK for people that don't meet grooming. (BBDUs, Blue Bag, etc.) TPU discouraged, too much static to go there.

Note that our meetings are held at an Army National Guard facility, and their UOD for aircrews, flying that day or not, is the bag. We simply follow suit with our brothers in green.

Just my $0.02.

- Midway Six

CAPblog
Always Vigilant - Never Boring.
http://capblog.typepad.com/

brasda91

Similar to your plan, as commander, I have made minimum requirements for members.

Initially, for cadets and seniors, I require BDUs.  Why BDUs?  Because I've always been involved with ES-heavy squadrons.  While we always meet the requirements of a squadron as it relates to AE and CP, the squadrons I've been involved with have always been very involved with ES.  Generally the guy who joins and is interested in ground search and rescue won't be showing up to the wing banquet during his first year of membership.  Same with cadets.

With BDUs, you can participate in more activities than you can with blues.  e.g., model rocketry, orientation flights, all aspects of emergency services, air shows, tours of military facilities, regular meetings, and so on.

Once they've acquired their complete set of BDUs, on to blues.  And like you, I require the basics.  Short sleeve blues.

That's it.  BDUs and short sleeve blues.

There's my $.02.

I'm assuming you already know this:

Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform.  Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem.

Female: Short-sleeve light blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.  Insignia: CAP nameplate, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem.

Therefore your requirement to have BDU's first is incorrect.  Not only are you not following the regs, you're having them spend their money on the wrong uniform.

A commander may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The battle dress uniform (camouflage fatigue uniform) is worn when it is impractical or inappropriate to wear the service uniforms.  Tours of military installations?

You don't expect your new members to attend the Wing Banquet during their first year?  What if they joined several months prior to the banquet, they have the uniform and the funds to attend?  You simply say, "Sorry, you not allowed to attend during your first year of membership?"  Sounds like a good way not to do retention.  You may want to rethink your uniform requirements.   ;)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RogueLeader

Quote from: MidwaySix on August 30, 2007, 07:15:07 PM

1. First off we sell them a $25 aviator shirt on their 3rd night after they pass their Membership Application Board. (We'll have some shirts in stock at the Squadron.) Tell them to wear that and the grey slacks that they already have in their closet, and as soon as their membership processes... bang! Dues + $25 = Ready to fly.

- Midway Six

Good idea, but:
1-Not all members have gray trousers.
2- Still have to have name Tag and (CAP cutots?)

So you have $5 tape, plus $7 shipping from the Approved place, trousers- if needed $20+, so it's more like between $75 and $100 to start flying. 

What do you do for the members who do NOT want to wear corporates?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: brasda91 on August 30, 2007, 07:19:38 PMI'm assuming you already know this:

Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform.  Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem.

Female: Short-sleeve light blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.  Insignia: CAP nameplate, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem.

Therefore your requirement to have BDU's first is incorrect.  Not only are you not following the regs, you're having them spend their money on the wrong uniform.

A commander may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The battle dress uniform (camouflage fatigue uniform) is worn when it is impractical or inappropriate to wear the service uniforms.  Tours of military installations?

You don't expect your new members to attend the Wing Banquet during their first year?  What if they joined several months prior to the banquet, they have the uniform and the funds to attend?  You simply say, "Sorry, you not allowed to attend during your first year of membership?"  Sounds like a good way not to do retention.  You may want to rethink your uniform requirements.   ;)

It's funny, because I always get a lot of static about the way I commanded my squadron, but we had the highest retention rate in the wing and never, ever, ran into problems.  They were required to have BDUs in order to graduate their 9 week Training Flight and blues prior to the summer so they could attend encampment.  With the "free uniform program" (does it still exist?) cadets submitted their chit and it would take as long as 3 to 4 months to recieve their "free blues".  So you want me to make them buy a uniform they are/were supposed to get for free?  That's rediculous.  The one squadron I commanded and the 2 squadrons I served as DCC were run exactly the way I described above.  In all cases, we excelled and surpassed the other squadrons in the area.  It worked and it worked well. 

The "free uniform program" of yesterday was not sufficient, but in most cases it worked, 3 to 4 months too late.  So again, I had them purchase BDUs as their graduation uniform and primary uniform because if we waited for the blues to show up, they'd be A1Cs or SrA's before they arrived.  As for the wing banquet, they can go in appropriate civilian attire.  If asked why they aren't in blues, my answer is/was "these cadets have yet to recieve their free uniforms and I didn't want them to buy blues just to attend a wing event, then get their blues in the mail".

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: MidwaySix on August 30, 2007, 07:15:07 PM
Note that our meetings are held at an Army National Guard facility, and their UOD for aircrews, flying that day or not, is the bag. We simply follow suit with our brothers in green.

Nice try.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 07:31:07 PM
Good idea, but:
1-Not all members have gray trousers.
2- Still have to have name Tag and (CAP cutots?)

So you have $5 tape, plus $7 shipping from the Approved place, trousers- if needed $20+, so it's more like between $75 and $100 to start flying. 

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 30, 2007, 07:31:07 PM

I suggest they find an alternative outlet for their volunteer service.

Any >ADULT< who can't be troubled to find a pair of (proper - no DOCKERS) gray slacks will not be an asset to the organization.

"That Others May Zoom"