Commander's Commendation

Started by Stonewall, August 30, 2007, 12:44:22 AM

WoodlandSARman

Honestly I don't go ribbon hunting. I make a name for myself as a hard charger and gung-ho ES and thats all I care about. I don't go promotion hunting either.

If I see someone with a CC ribbon then good job on their part. I see somone go and BUST THEIR BUTT at a SAR EX and get stuff done then they get a pat of the back and a hand shake from me along with a good job.

There is no reason someone should get something like CC for something silly. If they honestly earned it then give it to them. Don't give to the person that plowed snow of some driveway once. Give it to the person that honestly earned it.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion and as a cadet I rarley wore all my ribbons and half the time it was just my non promotion ones.

The ribbons I pay attention to are find, SAR, ES, life saver, valor, year service one, those are the ones you HAVE to earn. Thats about it. I don't even pay attention to Spaatz ribbons honestly.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
IN Wing Central Group ES Officer GLR-IN-224
Former GLR-IN-123
Former SWR-OK-002 - Black Knight Command Staff.
Former GLR-IN-069
NGSAR Basic 2000 - Honor Team
NESA GSAR Advanced/Team Leader - 2001 NESA GSAR Basic -  2007

floridacyclist

What I don't understand is this apparent policy that all awards have to be earned on-duty. We've had 2 MoVs and a lifesaving award turned down from our squadron because the actions were not performed in the name of CAP. Is this a new policy or?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

cnitas

I have never heard of such a requirement.
In fact a former squadron member earned a BMoV while at his job.  He was a White water rafting guide.  He (and a non-cap member) performed a water rescue of 2 stranded fishermen in a flooded river.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

afgeo4

There's often an issue of awards being denied due to personal conflicts between commanders and members. Many of us have a tough time separating personal feelings from professional duty. That's one of the drawbacks of us being a volunteer organization instead of a professional.

In the case of a Lieutenant being denied an award... I think that's against regulation. One can deny the award if they feel the merit doesn't fit the description of the award, but they cannot deny it based on grade, age, sex or anything else for that matter. I would demand a written denial with a statement of reason and at the same time send in a request for same award to the higher person in command, so Region CC if Wing CC denied it. Remember, there's no statute of limitations on awards. They can be given long after they should have been.

Don't be afraid. All this shows to senior leaders is that you take care of your members and are very proud of their work.
GEORGE LURYE

James Shaw

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 30, 2007, 01:08:53 PM
What I don't understand is this apparent policy that all awards have to be earned on-duty. We've had 2 MoVs and a lifesaving award turned down from our squadron because the actions were not performed in the name of CAP. Is this a new policy or?

No . I earned the SMV while I was at work and not doing a CAP activity.

Alot of the award criterie is based on the writeup of the situation. That ia a comment I was given by the Awards Board in a local region. The problem is the justification and the write up.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

TankerT

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 30, 2007, 01:08:53 PM

Very few decorations have to be earned while "on duty."  DSA, ESA and MSA require different levels of CAP duties to be a part of the recommendation.  (Don't confuse Decorations with Awards... two different animals... despite the fact that most of our "decorations" have the word "award" in their names.  Yeah... I know... but that's another topic...)  The Commander's Commendation (per the regulation) doesn't have that requirement.  Although, CAP duties are the norm for the recommendation for that decoration.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

floridacyclist

Not sure what there is to justify with a member getting a Lifesaving ribbon..guy had a heart attack and stroke...CPR was performed..the guy lived. I guess it seems pretty straightforward to me. I'm not in a position to fight those or demand an explanation (and wasn't the submitter anyway), it just struck me as odd as most of the examples given in the knowledgebase had nothing to do with CAP yet this was what we were being told. Who knows?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

James Shaw

Maybe I put it the wrong way. The justification I spoke of is the write up itself. Many times their isnt enough information provided, I have alwasy been told to load it down with info until you dont have any room left on the form.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

CASH172

Question about the form used to recommend someone for a commander's commendation.  It says "requested by" next to the squadron commander's signature slot.  What is this?

Also it gives a slot asking for the recommending organization and address.  Which orginizatin and address should be written in.  Would it be the recommender's squadron and the squadron's address, or would it be the individual's since it may not be the actual squadron making the recommendation?

Where does the form go, usually it would go to the region or wing headquarter's but who would the attention be to?

TankerT

Quote from: CASH172 on August 30, 2007, 05:28:13 PM
Question about the form used to recommend someone for a commander's commendation.  It says "requested by" next to the squadron commander's signature slot.  What is this?

Also it gives a slot asking for the recommending organization and address.  Which orginizatin and address should be written in.  Would it be the recommender's squadron and the squadron's address, or would it be the individual's since it may not be the actual squadron making the recommendation?

Where does the form go, usually it would go to the region or wing headquarter's but who would the attention be to?

For the requested by box, normal practice is to put the name of the person making the request for the award. 

As for the addresses, the "from" address is usually the unit the recommendation is coming from.  (I.E. the squadron)  The "to" would be the headquarters that in the end approves it.

You will send it up the chain.  (I.E. Squadron, Group if you have them, then Wing, and then higher if you needed.)  You only need to worry about mailing it to the next higher headquarters.  They will know where to send it if it needs to go higher.  What address you use for the next higher headquarters will depend on how they prefer it. 

We normally have everything sent to our Wing HQ Office, and then it is distributed from there.  Some HQs want you to send it to the home address of the personnel officer.  So, that you should check with your Commander, or next HQ if you are the CC.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here