Penalizing Cadets for Uniform Wear

Started by jimmydeanno, August 23, 2007, 03:42:42 PM

DHollywood

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 23, 2007, 07:52:04 PM
Perfect, and IG has come into the discussion.

How would you, as an IG, handle a complaint filed by an 18 year old cadet who claimed that they were discriminated against because they weren't allowed to participate in the National Cadet Competition due to their weight and age, even though CAPs non-discriminiation policy states that CAP members shall not be excluded from any activity on the basis of age or disability?

I would handle the complaint in the same manner as any other complaint, in accordance with the provisions of CAPR 123-2.

And my involvement in the discussion is not as an IG.

Assuming an 18 year old cadet made a complaint that they were discriminated against because they weren't allowed to participate in the National Cadet Competition due to their weight not being within regulation, I would review the applicable regulatioins and if the facts as alleged would constitute a violation of CAP regulation and policy an investigation would most  likely follow. 

If a regulation authorizes the adverse action then no investigation would follow and the complaint would be dismissed.   Based on these limited facts, cutting an 18 year old cadet from a competition because that 18 year old cadet does not meet the weight requirements to wear the required AF style uniform for the competition would not constitute discrimination, abuse of authority, or violate CAP policy.  A unit commander has the authority to mandate the wear of the AF style uniform to the exclusion of the corporate uniform for the purposes of a competition.

account deleted by member

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

afgeo4

Unfortunately, the issue isn't the legality of the regulation, but the justice of it. Technically, CAP isn't restricting the cadet from participation. The cadet may participate in the proper corporate uniform. Unfortunately, due to competition standards, that would cause the team to lose points, but would not necessarily prevent the team from success. The decision of the team is a subjective one and although I may not agree with it, it is their decision to make.

What I think should be done is a revision into the issue of authorization of cadets to wear the USAF style uniform regardless of age and weight and simultaneous restriction of cadets' wearing the TPU. In my opinion it would be a just solution to the problem and would also decrease the headaches of 18 year old cadets on the uniform issue. As we well know, having more uniform options usually leads to improper wear of those uniforms.
GEORGE LURYE

Ned

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 24, 2007, 07:08:27 PM
The weight restriction was there before the TPU - they could wear the corporate gray combo, etc...

IIRC, the weight restriction came about around the same time that cadets over 18 had to complete CPPT...

Yes and no.

The weight restrictions have been in place for a while, but the cadets were never authorized to wear the corporate grey combo -- aka the "grey ghost" uniform.  That was, and is, restricted to seniors.

Cadets could wear the blazer combination (which has a plain white shirt with no insignia).  The problem was that it was very, very expensive for cadets.  Consequently few cadets saw that as a viable alternative to the USAF-style uniforms.

I was part of a group that advocated allowing cadets to wear the TPU to offer a meaningful alternative for the larger, over 18 cadets.  We are grateful that the NB agreed and made it available.

But that didn't happen until after the 52-4 was drafted, and this is a classic case of a regulation being "overtaken by events."

And based on my communications with NHQ, a proposed fix is in the works and will probably be in place for next year.  As I understand it, there will be no penalty in any event for cadets who wear the TPU because of an inability to wear the USAF-style uniforms.

I'll let you know if I see any specific draft language.

And of course, any reg change requires the approval of our volunteer leadership.

Ned Lee
DCP, PCR

DHollywood

And therein lies justice... teaching the cadets not to complain and whine, but to effect change (such as the present CAP regs) through correct and proper methods... that is truly a lesson in life and leadership....
account deleted by member

Sgt. Savage

Ok, leave it to me to point out the other half of the original problem but....
A cadet out of uniform costs points in the compatition. Wouldn't an overweight cadet in uniform ( Thus out of uniform because of weight) also cost points?

lordmonar

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 25, 2007, 11:08:09 AM
Ok, leave it to me to point out the other half of the original problem but....
A cadet out of uniform costs points in the compatition. Wouldn't an overweight cadet in uniform ( Thus out of uniform because of weight) also cost points?

There are no wieght standards for cadets under 18.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

But the first point is that the cadet was over 18, thus required to "make weight" to be in AF uniform.  Just because a Cadet, doesn't mean under 18.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340