Main Menu

NCO Insignia

Started by Trung Si Ma, August 20, 2007, 10:51:41 PM

SeattleSarge

Here are the two types of epaulets mentioned...

-SeattleSarge

Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

afgeo4

Where'd you get the pic?
GEORGE LURYE

SeattleSarge

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 22, 2007, 08:55:09 PM
Where'd you get the pic?

I took it about 5 minutes ago...  My personal equipment.

-SeattleSarge

SeattleSarge

Regarding E-4 NCO equivalency in the CAP, this was lifted from the CAP Knowledgebase....

CAP NCO rank from prior military service

Question
  I would like to keep my NCO rank from prior Air Force service. I was a SGT. E-4. Now that Sgt has been eliminated, can I wear the SSgt rank?

Answer
  No. See Section F (below) of CAP REGULATION 35-5 (E) CAP OFFICER AND NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER APPOINTMENTS AND PROMOTIONS

CAP members have the option of wearing the highest enlisted grade earned from prior military service. CAP grade must be equivalent to prior service grade (Army or Navy E-6 would be Tech Sergeant). In this case AF equivalent for E-4 is senior airman. Equivalent for E-5 is SSgt. See Section F below for procedures for appointment to CAP noncommissioned officer (NCO) grades.

SECTION F- NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER GRADES
27. General. This section prescribes the requirements and procedures for appointment to CAP noncommissioned officer (NCO) grades.
28. Eligibility requirements.
a. Only those CAP members who are military or ex-military NCOs and do not wish to be considered for CAP officer grades may be appointed to a CAP NCO grade under provisions of this section. The CAP grade granted will be equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard.
b. The member must also have completed Level I and Cadet Protection Program training of the Senior Member Training Program.
29. Procedures. Members who meet the eligibility requirement outlined above may assume a CAP NCO grade equivalent to their military grade upon presentation of documentation to the unit commander (a copy of DD Form 214, military identification card, or promotion order showing the grade requested is considered sufficient). The CAPF 2 will be annotated to reflect the NCO grade authorized and forward this form to National Headquarters for recording. The member is authorized to wear the grade on the CAP uniform as soon as verification of the military NCO grade is received.

Your military experience may qualify you for advanced CAP grade. See answer below and CAPR 35-5.

afgeo4

Next question... where'd you get those epaulets? USAF epaulets come in E-7 to E-9 only since it's the priviledge of SNCOs to wear epaulets like commissioned officers on blues (service dress, bdu's and mess dress get chevrons on sleeves).
GEORGE LURYE

SeattleSarge

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 22, 2007, 09:02:52 PM
Next question... where'd you get those epaulets? USAF epaulets come in E-7 to E-9 only since it's the priviledge of SNCOs to wear epaulets like commissioned officers on blues (service dress, bdu's and mess dress get chevrons on sleeves).

They were made as a custom order by Vanguard.  They are only available for CAP NCOs.  You're correct, of course, USAF only allows epaulets for the top three NCO grades. 

These are specific to the CAP corporate (Aviator Shirt) uniform combination.

-SeattleSarge

afgeo4

Interesting... how much did they cost and how long did it take for you to get them?
GEORGE LURYE

SeattleSarge

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 22, 2007, 09:07:45 PM
Interesting... how much did they cost and how long did it take for you to get them?

They were around $14.00 for the pair.  How long is another story....  It took around six months. 

-SeattleSarge

SeattleSarge

Oh, and regarding the TPU...  Ms. Parker told me that the TPU is not authorized for NCO wear until action is taken by the "National Uniform Board", or group, or such.

Sorry if I didn't make that more clear.

-SeattleSarge

mikeylikey

Quote from: SeattleSarge on August 22, 2007, 09:20:12 PM
Oh, and regarding the TPU...  Ms. Parker told me that the TPU is not authorized for NCO wear until action is taken by the "National Uniform Board", or group, or such.
-SeattleSarge
There is a National Uniform board/group/committee?   You have got to be kidding me!  Where were they when all these uniform changes came about.  Where are they to accept criticism, complaint and suggestions?  Who is on this uniform thing?  How do we get on this uniform thing?
What's up monkeys?

ddelaney103

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 22, 2007, 09:02:52 PM

That idea's history - the only place to wear those is on the sweaters.  Nowadays, you have to have stripes sewn on your shirts.

Just another case of the man keeping us down...

SeattleSarge

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 22, 2007, 09:38:11 PM
Quote from: SeattleSarge on August 22, 2007, 09:20:12 PM
-SeattleSarge
There is a National Uniform board/group/committee?   You have got to be kidding me!  Where were they when all these uniform changes came about.  Where are they to accept criticism, complaint and suggestions?  Who is on this uniform thing?  How do we get on this uniform thing?

Sorry Mikey...  I don't make this stuff up...

-SeattleSarge

Rube11

Folks,

Clarification; Senior NCOs (MSgt - CMSgt) in the AF can either wear "chevrons (aka; stripes)" on their short sleeve or long sleeve blue shirt or blue epaulets (rank shoulder boards) with their rank insignia on the lapel.  All other NCOs (SSgt and TSgt) will wear chevrons.

I would hope the same standard will apply to the CAP AF type uniform...I think it does.

Rube11

SeattleSarge

Quote from: Rube11 on August 22, 2007, 10:05:51 PM
Clarification; Senior NCOs (MSgt - CMSgt) in the AF can either wear "chevrons (aka; stripes)" on their short sleeve or long sleeve blue shirt or blue epaulets (rank shoulder boards) with their rank insignia on the lapel.  All other NCOs (SSgt and TSgt) will wear chevrons.

I would hope the same standard will apply to the CAP AF type uniform...I think it does.

Rube11

As with many things in CAPM 39-1, CAP regs differ from USAF directives on uniform wear.  There are no distinctions between NCOs and SNCOs when it comes to rank insignia wear or placement. 

-SeattleSarge

shorning

Clarification; Senior NCOs (MSgt - CMSgt) in the AF can either wear "chevrons (aka; stripes)" on their short sleeve or long sleeve blue shirt or blue epaulets (rank shoulder boards) with their rank insignia on the lapel.

Not any more. Del.  As of October, it's only stripes on shirt sleeves.  The shoulder marks are now only worn on the sweaters.

Rube11

Copy Steve,

So NHQ has approved a SSgt and TSgt Shoulder Board Epaulet for CAP AF equivalent uniforms? 

It has been my understanding since 1995 that CAP will conform to USAF Standards for uniform wear, including accouterments.  Shoulder boards are restricted to the top-three in the AD and CAP should comply.

NOTE:  I hated the shoulder boards...I earned my chevrons and was proud to show them off...(I'm off my soap box now).

Rubell

SeattleSarge

Quote from: Rube11 on August 22, 2007, 10:24:02 PM
So NHQ has approved a SSgt and TSgt Shoulder Board Epaulet for CAP AF equivalent uniforms? 

Actually, it's only for the corporate uniform - aviator shirt/blue pants combination.  Not the USAF style uniform.

-SeattleSarge

Rube11

Holy Batman...

This is why many folks wear the Golf Shirt...

Chief C...where are you???  Need some standardization!

Rube11

Hawk200

Quote from: Rube11 on August 22, 2007, 10:24:02 PM
It has been my understanding since 1995 that CAP will conform to USAF Standards for uniform wear, including accouterments.  Shoulder boards are restricted to the top-three in the AD and CAP should comply.

They should, but they don't. And when it came to the corporates, the Air Force doesn't care. But it should be standardized though. Either stripes on sleeve for both, or epaulets for both. Too many different criteria for too many different uniforms.

I'm betting Vanguard could make a lot more money off grey stripes for those uniforms than they could for epaulets.

afgeo4

Quote from: shorning on August 22, 2007, 10:16:10 PM
Clarification; Senior NCOs (MSgt - CMSgt) in the AF can either wear "chevrons (aka; stripes)" on their short sleeve or long sleeve blue shirt or blue epaulets (rank shoulder boards) with their rank insignia on the lapel.

Not any more. Del.  As of October, it's only stripes on shirt sleeves.  The shoulder marks are now only worn on the sweaters.

I know. I just don't get why. Is it so hard to make it all standardized and make SNCO's wear the enamel pin-ons?
GEORGE LURYE