Main Menu

NCO Insignia

Started by Trung Si Ma, August 20, 2007, 10:51:41 PM

Trung Si Ma

CAPM 39-1, Table 6-1, rule 13 (page 97) says that rank insignia is worn embroidered on gray epaulet sleeves - Vanguard does not sell those.  They do sell a blank gray epaulet, but no embroidered ones.

Paragraph 6-1 gives the option of sewn on insignia.

What are the NCO's wearing on the aviator shirt?
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

JayT

Air Force NCO pins on the blank gray shoulder marks I would say.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

MIKE

They were supposed to make the new embroidered ones... but haven't yet for whatever reason.  IIRC this is a noted change from the previous edition where the metal insignia was worn pinned to the plain gray epaulet sleeve.

IMO, CAP should make like the AF in this case... Would still need them for the sweaters though IIRC.
Mike Johnston

SeattleSarge

Actually, Vanguard does make NCO epaulets as a custom order, but it's a big hassle.  It took almost six months to get my blue ones.  I have a gray pair produced by CAPMart before the great switch...

-SeattleSarge

Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

Sgt. Savage

With so few of us, I don't think the Vanguard will ever "produce" them to stock. The AF pins aren't authorized. Creates quite the conundrum now doesn't it.

dwb

Is the TPU authorized for senior member NCOs?  You could wear that, and just wear the regular USAF rank slides (assuming you're a senior NCO, anyway).

afgeo4

Why not just wear cloth chevrons on your sleeves?

I don't believe the TPU is authorized for NCOs. I brought that up earlier with no response. I guess NCOs could wear the USAF blue NCO epaulets, but those aren't available for Sgt - TSgt I believe are about to be phased out since USAF is pressing on NCOs wearing cloth on sleeves again.
GEORGE LURYE

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 03:46:47 PM
Why not just wear cloth chevrons on your sleeves?

39-1 says gray epaulet sleeves.

I'm in Korea right now and can't call NHQ to get a semi-definitive answer.  Nor is my schedule allowing me to go downtown to see about getting some made.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 03:46:47 PMI believe are about to be phased out since USAF is pressing on NCOs wearing cloth on sleeves again.

They're being phased out of wear on the blue short-sleeve shirt, but the SNCO epaulets will still be manufactured because they'll still be authorized on the sweater(s), as far as I recall and understand.

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on August 21, 2007, 04:02:23 PM

Indeed CAPM 39-1 doesn't permit sleeve chevrons for blues.  It calls for embroidered grey epaulet sleeves, which apparently are a hassle to get from Vanguard based on CAP NCO's who have posted their experience on that here.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: Pylon on August 21, 2007, 05:46:31 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 03:46:47 PMI believe are about to be phased out since USAF is pressing on NCOs wearing cloth on sleeves again.

They're being phased out of wear on the blue short-sleeve shirt, but the SNCO epaulets will still be manufactured because they'll still be authorized on the sweater(s), as far as I recall and understand.

Indeed CAPM 39-1 doesn't permit sleeve chevrons for blues.  It calls for embroidered grey epaulet sleeves, which apparently are a hassle to get from Vanguard based on CAP NCO's who have posted their experience on that here.

The wooly-pooleys are being phased out as well. Not sure about the cardigan.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 06:58:43 PM

Cardigan is staying, according to the last article I read about it

ddelaney103

Quote from: Pylon on August 21, 2007, 07:01:08 PM

The current pullover sweater is to be replaced with another style of pullover sweater: with a leather nameplate, if Air force Times is to be believed.

The fate of the "Mr. Rogers' sweater" will depend on how the new pullover fares.

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: Pylon on August 21, 2007, 05:46:31 PM

Sorry Sir, 39-1 says "1. Grade Insignia: Senior member officers wear embroidered grade insignia on gray epaulet sleeve. Senior member NCOs and Airmen wear 3-inch or 3 1/2-inch cloth chevrons on the sleeve or embroidered gray epaulet sleeve."

This only applies to blues.

dwb

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 03:46:47 PMI don't believe the TPU is authorized for NCOs.

Both the initial policy letter and the updates say the uniform is for "senior members", not "officers".  I'd say the best bet is to wear the TPU with USAF MSgt shoulder marks.

Trung Si Ma has MSgt stripes in his profile, so I assume he's an E-7.

afgeo4

Alright, but what do E-4 to E-6 wear?
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 07:29:21 PM
Alright, but what do E-4 to E-6 wear?

Well in Vanguard's last attempt at their online store, they listed Blue epaulet sleeves for E-4 to E-6 and FO to SFO for wear with the TPU.  However, in its newest incarnation, the website no longer lists any of these. 

afgeo4

LOL probably cause they're not authorized by anyone?  Is this another attempt by Vanguard to create demand before there's a product?
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 08:31:43 PM
LOL probably cause they're not authorized by anyone?  Is this another attempt by Vanguard to create demand before there's a product?

They're authorized for wear with the TPU.  That's what you're supposed to wear... blue epaulet sleeves with embroidered grade insignia.

JayT

Quote from: ddelaney103 on August 21, 2007, 07:12:22 PM
Quote from: Pylon on August 21, 2007, 07:01:08 PM

The current pullover sweater is to be replaced with another style of pullover sweater: with a leather nameplate, if Air force Times is to be believed.

The fate of the "Mr. Rogers' sweater" will depend on how the new pullover fares.

I've seen Navy guys in a black sweater with a leather nameplate before.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hawk200

Wooly Pully's are being phased out? Oh, man, there's another boneheaded Air Force change. That one looks a lot better than the cardigan.