Service Coats for Cadets

Started by Major Carrales, August 18, 2007, 01:31:30 AM

Major Carrales

Service Coats for Cadets, how often will they need one?  And what sort of functions would they be needed at?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

The first 6 months to a year, probably little to none unless they attend an activity which specifically requires it.

From there, I would say the more responsibility they have and the more active they are, they greater the need.

By the time they are officers they should have one for sure.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Thats a pretty good standard, It all depends on the level of Outside participation.  Most basic encampments don't even allow them, but things like RCLS, or NCSA and such it is nice and for some required.  If they get more formal (CAC, Conferences,etc) then it becomes more common for cadets to wear them. 

As a means of getting them used to wearing them as they gain responsibility we (my unit) has Flight sergeants, and support staff wear ties.  Flight Commander and above in jackets at monthly promotions.

There is however one thing to look out for, there will be those cadets that will wear them to everything even when it is inappropriate.  You will hear excuses like "All my ribbons were already on there" etc.  Just keep an eye and teach them when they are necessary and when they are inappropriate
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Stonewall

MFD has it right.

I've had cadets that spent 5+ years in CAP, made it up to Captain and never had a service coat.

I was just looking on some squadron's website earlier today where they had almost 75 pictures of squadron events.  One event was a squadron dinner.  Cadets were wearing every variation of blues, from long-sleeve with tie (no ribbons and with ribbons) to formal with a bow-tie.

I think service dress for cadets at the squadron level is unncessary.  If a cadet is going to RCLS, COS, recieving an award at a business setting or something at a similar level, then yes, service dress is good to have.  I never had a service coat my entire cadet career and didn't have one for a couple years into my senior member life.

20 years in and still no mess dress.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on August 18, 2007, 04:09:15 AM
20 years in and still no mess dress.

You Sir, are smart!  No need to drop $$ on a jacket you are only going to wear what....like 2 times (at the most) per year. 

Quote from: mfd1506 on August 18, 2007, 03:09:51 AM
As a means of getting them used to wearing them as they gain responsibility we (my unit) has Flight sergeants, and support staff wear ties.  Flight Commander and above in jackets at monthly promotions.

^Why?  Why can't everyone wear a tie?  Why only Flight Commanders and above in jackets?  With the amount of the old style AF jackets STILL floating around, every cadet should get a jacket when they join free from the Squadron.  I know, that would be a perfect world.
What's up monkeys?