Ribbons on AF-Shirt or Av Shirt

Started by Nick Critelli, August 17, 2007, 10:26:06 PM

Nick Critelli

I realize that the regs authorize one to wear award ribbons on AF blue shirt or the white Av shirt...but what is the real custom? Does wear them or not?  Somewhere I heard that custom has it that enlisted wear ribbons officers do not.  Anyone else heard this?

MIKE

That is what I've heard and what I follow.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on August 17, 2007, 10:26:06 PM
I realize that the regs authorize one to wear award ribbons on AF blue shirt or the white Av shirt...but what is the real custom? Does wear them or not?  Somewhere I heard that custom has it that enlisted wear ribbons officers do not.  Anyone else heard this?

When I work with CADETs or as a PAO, I wear the ribbons on the shirt.  It is an AF Custom for Officers not to wear them, only badges.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on August 17, 2007, 10:28:48 PM
That is what I've heard and what I follow.

+1 for this standard.

Living up in DC, working in the Pentagon for a while, seeing AF officer types on the metro every day, living with an AF Lt Col for a while, and being in CAP up there, yeah, I can pretty much say with confidence that 95% of all Air Force officers did not wear ribbons on their blues shirts.  The ones who did were probably prior enlisted, but that's just my theory.

I follow the same rule.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

The AF custom is for officers not to wear ribbons on the shirt normally.  I will wear mine if I am wearing a tie, or if I am working with cadets during a meeting....  just my preference.

Stonewall

I know, this should be for another discussion, but in CAP, you'll find a lot of the same senior members that wear ribbons on their blues shirts are the same ones that wear the service (saucer, buss driver) hat.
Serving since 1987.

Chappie

As a Chaplain, I follow the AF Officers' custom of not wearing the ribbons on the shirt, only on the service jacket.  Even at a local squadron meeting with cadets, the shirt is sans ribbons.   I will wear my specialty badges on the shirt.

It is interesting to note as well that the standard for National Staff College is no ribbons on the shirts --- service jackets are not to worn either.   Of course at the banquet, the mini-medals are worn on the mess dress.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2007, 10:43:21 PM
I know, this should be for another discussion, but in CAP, you'll find a lot of the same senior members that wear ribbons on their blues shirts are the same ones that wear the service (saucer, buss driver) hat.

I wear ribbons, but can't stand the bus driver hat. I usually wear only long sleeves, so I've got a tie on too.

jimmydeanno

+1 for the tradition of officer not wearing ribbons on their shirts.

However, I do wear them when doing recruiting events as it is customary for recruiters to wear them...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Yes, you are correct.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Chappie

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 17, 2007, 11:02:38 PM

Yes, you are correct.

The only time one will see me wearing the service (saucer, bus driver, wheel) hat is at a Memorial Service for a member or some special event where formality is the rule of the day (Memorial Day or Veterans' Day Observance, 9-11 Observance, being part of review team, etc.).   I have observed that  AF Officers reserve the wear of their service hat for special occasions.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

mikeylikey

I love the service cap.  I won't wear it though because if I do I am usually the only one who does. 

SO 1940's!!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

I usually wear only my badges, wings and GBD, on the shirt.

Sometimes, in a formal meeting with the USAF, public recruiting presentations, etc., I wear the ribbons.

When I meet with AF officers on AF/CAP issues, I wear the ribbons. The fact that I have active duty and combat decorations adds, I think, some credibility.
Another former CAP officer

MIKE

Me personally, I think the shirts should be as unblinged as possible.  Just nametag and GT badge is good enough for me.  You don't have to look like a dork... Really.

My other uniform requires ribbons... All, any nine, or top three... of which I rate none, so yeah.  8)
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

DNall was about to post something...bu he dropped off!!!

WELCOME BACK!!! 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

I respectfully beg to disagree.

Ribbons are apposite on more formal occasions -- ceremonies,
change of command, inspections, recruiting.

On a regular meeting night, or working mission base, of course not appropriate.

jb512

Quote from: MIKE on August 18, 2007, 12:02:41 AM
Me personally, I think the shirts should be as unblinged as possible.  Just nametag and GT badge is good enough for me.  You don't have to look like a dork... Really.

My other uniform requires ribbons... All, any nine, or top three... of which I rate none, so yeah.  8)

Like a dork, huh...

I think that kinda sums up a lot.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 18, 2007, 02:16:38 AM
I respectfully beg to disagree.

Ribbons are apposite on more formal occasions -- ceremonies,
change of command, inspections, recruiting.

On a regular meeting night, or working mission base, of course not appropriate.

So, wearing earned awards makes one look like a dork...huh?  I think that is the most thoughtless thing I have ever read.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Stonewall

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 18, 2007, 03:41:05 AMSo, wearing awards makes one look like a dork...huh?  I think that is the most thoughtless thing I have ever read.

I wouldn't say they make you look like a dork (not talking about you, don't even know you), but often times, I think anyway, folks who wear ribbons on a "work uniform", which is what I consider to be the short-sleeve blues, do so because they may feel a need for recognition.  Sure, ribbons look nice, I agree with that.  And they can be appealing to non-military folks; hence why recruiters wear them.  But in Air Force culture, and I don't know why it's like this, enlisted folks wear their ribbons and officers don't.

I'll admit, if I saw an AF Officer or CAP Senior wearing ribbons on their short-sleeve blues, it would make me ask myself, what's up with that dude.

Could be that he's a former Marine Officer.  Marine officers often wear their ribbons on their version of "Class B's", as do Navy Officers and Coast Guard Officers.  Never in the Army, and not so often in the Air Force.

In my opinion, ribbons are for service dress.  You're entitled to your opinion and if your opinion is that wearing ribbons on our version of the "class B" uniform looks cool, that's fine.
Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

I think "dork" is a term that was poorly chosen.  Y'all are aware that Cadet have to wear them, don't y'all? Using terms like "dork" when describing CAP Officers or Cadets is infantile.

Commander
SWR-TX-454