Good Uniform Pricing

Started by addo1, August 16, 2007, 10:08:48 PM

addo1

I live in the Dallas, Texas area.  What is a good place to find CAP camo uniforms for a good price?    Thanks!!

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

mikeylikey

NAS Fort Worth, Joint Reserve Base (JRB) at Carswell 

^  Is that still open? 
What's up monkeys?

addo1

Is the Internet or stores/bases cheaper?
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Stonewall

Obviously the internet will be the easiest route, but if you aren't 100% sure of your size, I'd go somewhere you can try on the uniforms.

Prices are never far off from any one place.  To me, it's a convenience thing, not a price thing.
Serving since 1987.

addo1

Is the Hock shop a good website to buy uniforms off of???
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: addo1 on August 16, 2007, 10:21:20 PM
Is the Hock shop a good website to buy uniforms off of???

One caveat with The Hock Shop is that you will likely find that the quality of the cloth materials coming from The Hock, BDUs included, are of lower quality than you'd find elsewhere.  There are plenty of posts here on CAPTalk from plenty of respected people talking about this (just search the forums).  Otherwise, Tom at The Hock provides good service, decent shipping prices, and competitive pricing.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Capt Kieloch brings up a very good point.  I've seen several folks get their BDUs from The Hock and looked like a picture out of a Korean BDU making factory.  Buttons out of place, color too dark and material that of a Vietnamese sweatshop.

If you can't get to a military base for a real set of BDUs, order BDUs made by Proper.
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Quote from: Stonewall on August 16, 2007, 11:01:07 PM
Capt Kieloch brings up a very good point.  I've seen several folks get their BDUs from The Hock and looked like a picture out of a Korean BDU making factory.  Buttons out of place, color too dark and material that of a Vietnamese sweatshop.

If you can't get to a military base for a real set of BDUs, order BDUs made by Proper.

I agree totally that outside of GI BDUs, Propper is hands down the best quality producer of tactical uniforms of all kinds on the market.  I wont wear from any other maker if I have a choice.  BDU.com is a Propper distributer.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

MIKE

I've had good luck with the Tru-Spec brand as sold by uscav
Mike Johnston

mdickinson

The best value source for BDU uniforms is Old Lincoln County, a mail-order store run by a CAP member. Their web site is at www.olcnet.com 
I have no connection with them other than a satisfied customer.

I've ordered from them many times over the last ten years - got my blues, boots, belts, BDUs, caps, cold weather gear, field jacket, flight suit, etc. from them. I now have 3 pairs of BDU (2 summer, 1 winter) which all came from there - and at bargain prices.

Most of what they sell is used. They are honest in specifying whether it is medium-used or hardly-used. They also stock some new stuff. All their gear (BDUs, flight suits, blues, etc.) is Government Issue. No knock-offs here.

If you are trying to outfit cadets (or yourself) on a budget, then their current prices are hard (OK, impossible) to beat:

BDU sets (blouse & trousers), Good condition, $15.00 per set.
Only $10.00 per set when you by 3 or more sets.

BDU sets, Good condition, with extra top (2 blouses & 1 trousers) $16 per set.

BDU sets in Very Good-Excellent condition, $25 per set.

Shipping is also reasonable. However he doesn't carry CAP-specific stuff (insignia, wing patches, etc.)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: addo1 on August 16, 2007, 10:08:48 PM
I live in the Dallas, Texas area.  What is a good place to find CAP camo uniforms for a good price?    Thanks!!

Where at in Dallas? What squadron? There's an army-navy store on the southbound service road of I-35E just south of Valwood in Farmers Branch. They sell used and new BDUs as well as do the sewing of patches and nametapes. The owner/manager can be a little cantankerous at times (especially if he's just dealt with kids looking at and handling the paintball and airsoft equipment) but his prices are fair.

There's also another army-navy store in Richardson at the corner of Belt Line and 75, but it ain't the easiest to get in and out of, plus their prices are kinda high.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

addo1

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 17, 2007, 02:18:12 AM
Quote from: addo1 on August 16, 2007, 10:08:48 PM

Where at in Dallas? What squadron? There's an army-navy store on the southbound service road of I-35E just south of Valwood in Farmers Branch. They sell used and new BDUs as well as do the sewing of patches and nametapes. The owner/manager can be a little cantankerous at times (especially if he's just dealt with kids looking at and handling the paintball and airsoft equipment) but his prices are fair.

There's also another army-navy store in Richardson at the corner of Belt Line and 75, but it ain't the easiest to get in and out of, plus their prices are kinda high.

Lakeshore Squadron;  Rockwall, TX,  but I live in McKinney    ;D
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: addo1 on August 17, 2007, 03:04:55 PMLakeshore Squadron;  Rockwall, TX,  but I live in McKinney    ;D

Heh... Addison Eagles here, live in 'Wide Awake Wylie'.  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JCJ

www.propper.com now sells BDU's direct.  New $24.00 ea for coat or pants (i.e. $48.00/set) - brand new and mil-spec.  Also they have BBDU's.  I've ordered a couple of times & they're fast.

addo1

Quote from: JCJ on August 19, 2007, 12:42:08 AM
www.propper.com now sells BDU's direct.  New $24.00 ea for coat or pants (i.e. $48.00/set) - brand new and mil-spec.  Also they have BBDU's.  I've ordered a couple of times & they're fast.

Thanks!! That is the best site I have found yet!!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

smgilbert101

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 17, 2007, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: addo1 on August 17, 2007, 03:04:55 PMLakeshore Squadron;  Rockwall, TX,  but I live in McKinney    ;D

Home come you guys are travelling so far?  McKinney, Plano and Wide Awake Wylie all have squadrons.
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

addo1

Answer:
#1. Because I that squadron.
#2. Because we go to church on Sundays and can not meet on that day.
#3. Because it is not really that far- we drive far no matter where we go.
#4. Much more!!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: smgilbert101 on August 25, 2007, 11:33:34 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 17, 2007, 03:25:55 PM

Home come you guys are travelling so far?  McKinney, Plano and Wide Awake Wylie all have squadrons.

Long story short: met a couple of Addison senior members at the Plano balloon festival in 2005; they were - and still are - a very active composite squadron in all three areas of flying, ES and cadet programs.  Plus they keep me busy running admin and personnel in the squadron.

Wouldn't mind visiting the Wylie Warriors, but they meet the same Tuesday nights as Addison. (And I'm also missing my Masonic lodge meetings as well.)

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

dogboy

If money's an issue, I don't think you can find a better deal on new BDUs than Galaxy Army and Navy $19.99 tops or bottoms Poly/cotton or $20.99 100% cotton. I've  bought them and recommend them as "acceptable" quality. http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/galaxy_army_navy_woodland_camouflage_bdus_clothing_military_fatigues.asp

Used from olc.net but he often lacks the larger sizes required by us civilians in uniform.