Ultra Thin Ribbons Question

Started by James Shaw, August 15, 2007, 12:23:05 PM

James Shaw

Greetings folks. I was wondering if anyone has some good pictures of the way the Ultra Thin Ribbons are made. I have been experimenting myself and have comeup with a pretty good sample. I want to compare them as far as how they look. Alot cheaper for me to make than order. If I can "perfect" my method than I may start making them ... and maybe saving some money! I would appreciate the help.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

dwb

I don't have a picture of my UltraThins available on the 'Net, but basically, they're just the fabric of the ribbon folded flat and glued to a piece of clear plastic.  The plastic can either have standard posts or magnets to attach to the uniform.  Mine have the posts, I wasn't sure if the magnets would work well.

Christie Ducote posted some pics of hers on CadetStuff -- linky.

Interestingly, her NCSA ribbon has the clasps close together.  On all my ribbons that have clasps, they're evenly spaced across the ribbon.

James Shaw

Thanks for the info. I have managed to do almost the exact same thing. They are 3/16 of an inch thick.
Jim Shaw

IceNine

Only advice I have is to use regular white glue, not super or hot glue as they do not try clear
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

James Shaw

Works great. I will add a picture later.
Jim Shaw

Major Carrales

As an aside, the other day I saw a guy with what looked like "embroidered ribbons."  Could these have been ultrathins?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

O-Rex

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 16, 2007, 09:05:16 PM
As an aside, the other day I saw a guy with what looked like "embroidered ribbons."  Could these have been ultrathins?

There are some companies that embroider ribbons: once in a while you'll see some flag-rank officers wearing them.

They are expen$ive. . . .

Ultrathins aren't cheap either, but they rock, particularly the magnetic sets.

If you prefect the technique, PLEASE share: I'm a bit of a do-it-yourselfer:  Got tired of paying five bucks a pop for the drycleaning shop to sew-on patches, got myself a sewing machine, and never looked back!

Major Carrales

Quote from: O-Rex on August 16, 2007, 09:29:45 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 16, 2007, 09:05:16 PM

There are some companies that embroider ribbons: once in a while you'll see some flag-rank officers wearing them.

I wasn't close, however, these things looked as if they were embroidered on a cloth and then cloth as sewn to the service coat.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

James Shaw

I was actually able to get the magnets to stick pretty good as well. I have a little more experimenting to do but will probably have a good rundown in a few days. The only kick back is that I had to have a special tool made for the ribbons. I made a set and even wore it for a photo to go in the Volunteer Magazine. I will share more at a later time.
Jim Shaw

IceNine

When do you plan on accepting orders?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

O-Rex

Another thing that works well are magnets on miniature wings, ground team and specialty badges.

Radio Shack sells "rare earth" magnets for $1.98/pr. (need 2 pair)  that are strong enough to keep the badge on the shirt (not recommended for jacket.) I grind off the prongs with a dremel, then  glue them with epoxy: two magnets for the badge, and two for clear plastic backing, cut to shape like the badge.

James Shaw

Working on a second set. I have figured out a great way to get the magnets to stay even better. I put the jacket on and took it off about 7 times and the ribbons did not slip at all. The only time they slipped was when I stretched above my head. Here are some pictures. They look better in the hand than they do the picture. I have found that the S&R ribbon is slightly wider than the rest.
Jim Shaw