Anyone find a uniform cut aviator shirt yet?

Started by jb512, August 09, 2007, 11:01:39 PM

jb512

I kept up with the discussion about the white shirts, but I didn't hear if the issue with the epaulets had been resolved.  I know that someone found an aviator shirt with an AF style cut (sleeves and pockets) but the epaulets were too short for our greys to fit.  Did anyone find one that would work yet?

Major Carrales

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 09, 2007, 11:01:39 PM
I kept up with the discussion about the white shirts, but I didn't hear if the issue with the epaulets had been resolved.  I know that someone found an aviator shirt with an AF style cut (sleeves and pockets) but the epaulets were too short for our greys to fit.  Did anyone find one that would work yet?

Someone posted some links at the DEFUNCT Civil Air Portal...they are out their on the web. 

Try this, lots of styles, some that look like they might fit the bill...
http://www.pilotpetesupplies.com/Mens_Van_Heusen.html
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jb512

Thanks for the info.  I just placed an order for the athletic fit 16 1/2 short sleeve.  I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Major Carrales

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 10, 2007, 02:58:57 AM
Thanks for the info.  I just placed an order for the athletic fit 16 1/2 short sleeve.  I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Please do, I may get one of these.  I'll likely use it only occasionally.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

Mine's from www.pilotshirts.com  Air force style, with regular or athletic cuts.

...It's not defunct, it's pining for the fjords.

jb512

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 03:00:57 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on August 10, 2007, 02:58:57 AM

Please do, I may get one of these.  I'll likely use it only occasionally.

Me too, but I think it has potential because they kept it simple.  I always wear the AF shirt, but I think the aviator in the corporate look could be made to look sharp.  The Vanguard shirt looks like a nametag attached to a tent.

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on August 10, 2007, 03:09:00 AM
...It's not defunct, it's pining for the fjords.

Pining...?!?  for the FEE-ords?

Still, beautiful parrot, Norwegian blue!  ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jb512

Got the shirt a few days ago and it's MUCH better than the tent style offered by Vanguard.  It's the same manufacturer, but a different cut and with the AF style pockets.  The only drawbacks are that the epaulets are centered on the shoulder rather than forward like the AF shirt, and the sleeves are still rolled up and hemmed rather than tucked under like the AF.

There are eyelets over the left pocket that my mini wings don't quite cover but they are not cut through so I'm going to have to see if I can pick each thread out with a seam ripper.

It would be so much easier if our guys had just found us a shirt identical to the AF shirt, just in white instead of us having to do this crap ourselves.  I'll try and post a picture at some point.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 20, 2007, 04:36:00 AM
Got the shirt a few days ago and it's MUCH better than the tent style offered by Vanguard.  It's the same manufacturer, but a different cut and with the AF style pockets.  The only drawbacks are that the epaulets are centered on the shoulder rather than forward like the AF shirt, and the sleeves are still rolled up and hemmed rather than tucked under like the AF.

There are eyelets over the left pocket that my mini wings don't quite cover but they are not cut through so I'm going to have to see if I can pick each thread out with a seam ripper.

It would be so much easier if our guys had just found us a shirt identical to the AF shirt, just in white instead of us having to do this crap ourselves.  I'll try and post a picture at some point.

The style of shirt I get from www.pilotshirts.com does not have eyelets for pinback wings. It's offered in both a relaxed fit and a tapered fit with AF-style pleated flap pockets. Cloth is a broadcloth oxford, and takes starch very well. Flap pockets are secured with velcro.

Pilot House tapered oxford: http://www.pilotshirts.com/products.asp?dept=9
Pilot House relaxed fit oxford: http://www.pilotshirts.com/products.asp?dept=10

They offer the eyelet version and the open V-hem pocket version - don't get those.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jb512

I would rather have that shirt, but in the last thread about it there was a Major who said that the epaulets were too short for our insignia and he had to send it back.

afgeo4

I ordered the Pilot shirt by Van Heusen. It's patterned after the USAF blue shirt, so it's a good fit. It's pretty inexpensive too. Most websites show only the short sleeve version pics, but most stock long sleeve too. I'm not the thinnest person around, but that aviator shirt is just not meant for human beings... I'm thinking bears?
GEORGE LURYE

pixelwonk

ddelaney103

Can someone give me a reg/policy letter/offhand comment from TP that says we can use this type of shirt, and if it's for the blue/white combo, the grey/white combo, or both?

MIKE

The best I've heard is that Susie Parker said it was cool.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

I received the shirt last night and unfortunately it wasn't cut just like the air force one. It's sort of a blend between the aviator shirt and the USAF one.

It's still cut large... not as large as the aviator, but pretty big.
The pockets are still placed very low and the shirt is very long (although it's not the tall size).
There is a sewn on tab for attaching wings over the left breast pocket that I have no use for, but it'll be covered up by ribbons (you'll have to unthread it if you don't wear them).
The only thing that makes this shirt better is the shape of the pockets themselves, which are just like the USAF ones.

Let me know if you guys find better please.

On a bright note... it cost $22.50 including shipping!
GEORGE LURYE

jb512

As an update...  The shirt is doing well after a bit of tweaking.  I managed to get the eyelet stitches out with the seam ripper without a problem and I'm sure the holes will disappear after a trip to the cleaners for some laundering and heavy starch.  Even though it says "athletic cut", it still does not taper like the AF shirt does in the same size.  I would still advise someone to order about a half a size smaller even with that cut to get a proper fit.  It's close enough that I can have mine tailored.

Overall it's a good looking shirt now that it has the proper pockets.  I just wish the epaulets were canted forward and the sleeves were hemmed like the AF shirt.  I think that'll be taken care of when the tapering is done.

With shirt garters it's a very sharp looking shirt overall.