ES Badges

Started by Sgt. Savage, August 03, 2007, 07:07:21 PM

Pylon

Quote from: SarDragon on August 08, 2007, 02:37:16 AM
QuoteLeft as is
MP - SAR/DR Mission Pilot
TMP - Transport Mission Pilot
MO - Mission Observer

I understand MO, but what specific badge does a TMP or MP wear above and beyond pilot wings?

None.  Why should they?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

OK, I didn't put in enough info.
Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 07, 2007, 03:01:41 PM
Ok, here is my proposed usage:
Left as is

MO - Mission Observer

Any thoughts?

What is "as is", and what is the distinction between MP, TMP, and CAP Pilot?

I don't think a distinction is essential, I'm just trying to figure out what he's talking about.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 07, 2007, 03:20:48 PM
So putting the letters on, (using your example of MRO from earlier (slightly modified)), would give us something like this...?

ACTUALLY, I think it would be better to insert MB  in lieu of GT
MB- Mission Base or MBS - Mission Base Staff

Putting MRO in would eventually require initials for every posit.
So either go with the Prop and Triangle of just MB. IMHO
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: Pylon on August 08, 2007, 03:48:20 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 08, 2007, 02:37:16 AM
QuoteLeft as is
MO - Mission Observer

I understand MO, but what specific badge does a TMP or MP wear above and beyond pilot wings?

None.  Why should they?

Actually, MO's and pilots can earn a senior and master rating based on hours acrued. All of these suggestions are just that, suggestions. GBD already has a badge, a master level badge. Seems like it should stay, though, the section chiefs may also warrant a master level badge.

Sgt. Savage

Just in from my "art studio". My version of a logistics badge.

It's crude but you get the point. I incorporated the cog design from the AF material command but replaced the star with the CD triangle.

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 09, 2007, 12:15:24 PM

It's crude but you get the point. I incorporated the cog design from the AF material command but replaced the star with the CD triangle.

I like it. Simple but effective.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

thefischNX01

Off Topic I admit, but this is the first I've heard of the IC Badge.  Can someone show me a picture or the regulation authorizing it?

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

Hawk200

Quote from: thefischNX01 on August 09, 2007, 03:24:55 PM
Off Topic I admit, but this is the first I've heard of the IC Badge.  Can someone show me a picture or the regulation authorizing it?

CAPHistorian posted a photo of the new proposed medals, along with the IC badge included in this post:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1034.msg12852#msg12852

It's pretty good looking.

thefischNX01

Thanks, Hawk. 

And now back to your regularly scheduled programing...
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

afgeo4

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 09, 2007, 01:31:39 PM
Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 09, 2007, 12:15:24 PM

I like it. Simple but effective.
Pretty sweet... can you do a Recruiting & Retention badge and base it loosely on the USAF one?
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

I think this IS an important topic. As we come up on the release of ABU's for CAP we're also looking at having no patches on field uniforms.

Currently, communications, safety and ES qualified personnel can be identified by their authorized patches (if they choose to wear them). When the ABU comes out, there will be no patches authorized and we should have basic duty badges out. I like the idea of using the existing GT badge to create new ones, but perhaps make it a little bit larger (along with the existing GT badge)... maybe to the size of the AF occupational badge.

My suggestions are for:
Urban Direction Finding - UDF
Base Staff - MBS
Radio Operator - MRO
Section Chiefs (Logistics, Finance, Personnel, etc) - OPS
Flightline Ops - FLT
Safety - SAFE
Air Branch Director - ABD
Medical - Already exists
Chaplain - Already exists
Incident Commander - Already exists
Ground Branch Director - Already exists
Ground Team Member - Already exists
Ground Team Leader - Already Exists

Not sure if I've forgotten anyone, but this is all I'm coming up with right now.
GEORGE LURYE

Hawk200

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 09, 2007, 05:13:59 PM
I think this IS an important topic. As we come up on the release of ABU's for CAP we're also looking at having no patches on field uniforms.

Currently, communications, safety and ES qualified personnel can be identified by their authorized patches (if they choose to wear them). When the ABU comes out, there will be no patches authorized and we should have basic duty badges out. I like the idea of using the existing GT badge to create new ones, but perhaps make it a little bit larger (along with the existing GT badge)... maybe to the size of the AF occupational badge.

What makes you think that the restriction on patches will carry over to CAP? Allowing patches on CAP uniforms and not for Air Force personnel would be the kind of differentiation that the Air Force would want. Be real easy to tell either way from a distance.

CAP getting ABU's has already been discussed at the higher levels. Configuration has not been. We don't know how it's going to be arranged. And I doubt the Air Force would forbid them. I'm betting that even though they aren't a member, Vanguard does probably have some influence on what's going to be worn as well.

afgeo4

I'm thinking that the patches wont carry over because of AF culture. The reason why we wear patches, their styling, and their placement has been overall aligned with Air Force traditions. Since USAF is changing this tradition with the ABU, I'm guessing CAP will go with that too. Does that have to happen? No. I just believe it will. Vanguard will be just as happy selling more occupational (ES) badges as they were patches. In fact, I think they'd sell more of them than our "Goofy" and "Stan/Eval" or "PJOC" patches for example.
GEORGE LURYE

Psicorp

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 09, 2007, 05:13:59 PM

My suggestions are for:
Urban Direction Finding - UDF
Base Staff - MBS
Radio Operator - MRO
Section Chiefs (Logistics, Finance, Personnel, etc) - OPS
Flightline Ops - FLT
Safety - SAFE
Air Branch Director - ABD
Medical - Already exists
Chaplain - Already exists
Incident Commander - Already exists
Ground Branch Director - Already exists
Ground Team Member - Already exists
Ground Team Leader - Already Exists

Not sure if I've forgotten anyone, but this is all I'm coming up with right now.

I disagree with having an MRO badge...it's a basic qualification that says you can operate a radio, it's needed for virtually all the mission qualifications.

How about grouping Mission Base Staff all together and have a basic, advanced, and senior ratings based upon the level of qualification (ICS position)?  Ex:  MRO, MSA, Flightline Marshaller / Supervisor, etc are basic; CUL, GBD, ABD, Chaplain, SE, Section Chiefs are advanced; and ICs (1,2, & 3) are senior?
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Hawk200

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 09, 2007, 06:03:29 PM
I'm thinking that the patches wont carry over because of AF culture. The reason why we wear patches, their styling, and their placement has been overall aligned with Air Force traditions. Since USAF is changing this tradition with the ABU, I'm guessing CAP will go with that too. Does that have to happen? No. I just believe it will. Vanguard will be just as happy selling more occupational (ES) badges as they were patches. In fact, I think they'd sell more of them than our "Goofy" and "Stan/Eval" or "PJOC" patches for example.

As CAP, we wore patches on the BDU's in locations that the Air Force didn't. Our tradition was based on theirs, but with some differences. It's in the Air Force's interest to have our uniforms look distinctively different. The removal of the right arm patches, and the wing patch were a Pineda thing, not the Air Force.

As far as Vanguard goes, five specialty type badges would cost far less than five larger patches. They would stand to make less on them. It's all money, and they won't like it if they have to sell lower cost items.

Additionally, there are patches that really should be identifiable from a distance. Specialty badge style wouldn't be so much, you have to be talking "in-person". There's a place for them.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Psicorp on August 09, 2007, 06:52:55 PM

I disagree with having an MRO badge...it's a basic qualification that says you can operate a radio, it's needed for virtually all the mission qualifications.

Not quite, a CAPF 76 is the basic qual for operating a radio. The B-cut means that you can talk, the A-cut means you can have your own callsign. 

MRO means that you can find location, set up, and run comm operations.  They are also trained to pass traffic, troubleshoot problems such as dropped communications, use the proper frequencies/repeaters etc.  Which is a far cry from B-CUT
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

So,

I've created more badges... AL, genralMB badge, and a couple of others..

How do we propose these badges to national?

alamrcn

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 09, 2007, 06:03:29 PM
I'm thinking that the patches wont carry over because of AF culture. The reason why we wear patches, their styling, and their placement has been overall aligned with Air Force traditions.

ERR-HUM, that would be Army Air Corps traditions. Had we watched the USAF more closely the last 50 years, we would have dumped off the shoulder patches long ago.

But I hear what you are saying. Wanna propose some badges to National? Convince your wing CAC to give it a go - that's how we have the ribbons we have today and not the Monopoly (TM) piece ones from 30 years ago.

I was going to suggest a "PT Campaign" ribbon, but I didn't think it would be appropriate in this particular discussion.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

Seems to me that very few CAP members are actually wearing all the specialty track badges that are authorized now, so don't see much need to add even more badges that most people probably wouldn't bother to wear. 

arajca

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2007, 08:18:26 PM
Seems to me that very few CAP members are actually wearing all the specialty track badges that are authorized now, so don't see much need to add even more badges that most people probably wouldn't bother to wear. 
I think the same thing, which was I put up one badge to cover a plethora of ES ratings, instead a separate badge for each rating.